Microlearning with 7taps

Microlearning is a valuable approach to mobile and open learning. Previous OERs, like this one, have done an excellent job giving an overview of what microlearning is, popular tools you may already be using, and where it fits in education, particularly in workplace training and adult education. If you are already familiar with microlearning you can skip ahead to the 7taps information below. If microlearning is new to you, click the “Microlearning basics” tab below for more information. Either way, as you explore the tool below it’s useful to consider what Google describes as micro-moments, the moments we turn to our mobile devices with a need or desire, and how they relate to a modern learner.

7taps
OpenClose

7taps is a microlearning tool launched in 2021 that allows a user to create an engaging microlearning course very quickly, specifically for mobile devices. The course authoring must be done on their website on a computer or laptop, though there is the appeal of not having to download an app. The intention is for courses to be made quickly, completed quickly, and taken by learners in a moment where the learning is most needed. Learners are also able to revisit the material at any time from any place. Aggregate quiz results are tracked, allowing educators or employers a way to judge the potential effectiveness of the tool as it’s in use, as well as modify it at any time. An upgraded subscription allows educators to track individual results as well by sending learners the course via their unique email address. No additional personal information is required.

I created a sample 7taps course reviewing common myths about 5G’s potential impact on education. You do not need to sign up to complete the course and no personal information is requested.

Microlearning basics
OpenClose

I do recommend exploring this OER on microlearning, if you’re interested in the topic. It’s well-written, informative, and still current in 2021. Below is a brief summary of the pros and cons of microlearning from an educator’s perspective.

Pros:
– Learners access information in the moments and environments they need it.
– Learners can access material on the mobile devices they likely have with them. In addition to convenience, this creates opportunities for learning moments outside of when a learner is looking for it. Ex. Seeing push notifications when checking the time on a mobile device.
– It can be much cheaper to develop than larger, more in-depth courses.
– Being creative with how you use microlearning to meet the needs of your specific learners can create engaging, learner-centered material.

Cons:
– Works best with single learning objectives.
– Need to be short. Fifteen minutes or less (which shouldn’t be difficult if you’re teaching material appropriate for microlearning).
– Authoring tools may have many limitations since mobile accessibility and highly simple interactions are the priority.
– Do make sure it’s the right approach for your learning objective. Otherwise, your content will bleed into the white noise of information overload.

Do you currently use microlearning tools in your professional practice? If not, can you think of ways microlearning could harness the strengths (or amplify the weaknesses) of mobile and open learning?

6 responses to “Microlearning with 7taps”

1. sebastien renald

This is a very interesting concept and one that seems relevant in the continuing education of teachers in the workplace. Teachers tend to perceive training and workshops negatively and prefer to remain with their students, in class. In Quebec province, the employer, the school district, has thus required since November 2020 that all teachers participate in a minimum of 30 hours of professional development during two continuous school years. Unions and teachers protested: “professional autonomy” and “taking away teaching time” are AGAIN underestimated by “the bosses”. Most of the teachers agree on the importance of professional development, they understand why it is important, but in practice, it’s another challenge related to time. I think microlearning sessions accessible at all times, on your tablet or on your phone, is a possible solution to this lack of time widely expressed by teachers. However, these sessions should be recognized by the employer, who should certainly review their professional development requirements with a focus on mobile technologies.

2. janice roper

Hi Brittany,
    Thanks for sharing a new resource to review, 7Taps looks like it is easy to use and your sample course works really well on a mobile (and laptop). In using it to create the sample course, did you find any advantage over Google Slides or PowerPoint? It appears to be similar to other slide-deck software, with the exception of being in portrait orientation. Do you see this being better received for short presentations than a Google Slide presentation?

1. lyndsay barrett

Great question, Janice!

I do think portrait orientation fits more seamlessly into the mobile experience. I think it embraces the learn-on-the-go aspect of microlearning and is something 7taps does well. Imagine coming across a 7taps course on Internet Privacy Settings as you’re scrolling through a social media platform. You could essentially visit the information and go back to what you were without missing a beat, likely without adjusting your device.

There are two other advantages I see 7taps having over Google Slides or PowerPoint. The first is the time it takes the educator to create the presentation. The tool is really lean. You select a general style theme, then the template cards you want to use (text, quiz, soundbite, or link), enter text and gifs, and you’re done. You don’t need design knowledge to look polished. You don’t need to build quiz slides. The presentation above took me about 20 minutes to make since I had the information written out already. The flip side of that speed is a lack of options. You can’t upload your own images (though I just got an email saying Pro users will be able to soon) or edit the layout of the template cards.

The second benefit is that 7taps does allow you to track performance on the quizzes, which might be useful, depending on what your goals are. The Pro version allows you to track individual scores and the free version tracks aggregate scores, as well as completion rates. I don’t believe Google Slides or PowerPoint allow for that kind of analysis unless you’re in the presentation with your students and obtaining answers a different way or via Google Forms. But my knowledge of Slides and PowerPoint is rudimentary, so I might be wrong there.

1. janice roper

Those are compelling arguments Lindsay, thanks for your response. The idea of the quick slideshows being a type of “sidetrack” makes sense and I can visualize the usefulness. It brings to mind a help menu or side search bar, or even a hyperlink with a pop-up. The quizzes and aggregate score tracking could be helpful for quick assessment of comprehension in a presentation or a class. Thanks again for sharing!

3. BrittanyHack

I’ve never heard of this before Lyndsay. Micro-learning may be very viable for foundational learners in ESL. I have not heard of anyone using it for these purposes, but it is worth a try. Lesson are required to be short for this level of ESL and many students already own a mobile device. I think I need to look into this more. Thanks for the good find Lyndsay.

1. lyndsay barrett

Keen observation, Britt!

I found many sales pitches and consultation firms use language learning as an example of microlearning in action, though I have yet to find academic research to back that up.