4 responses to “On the topic of Open Education”

1. markmpepe

Hi Sean,

I teach French for grades 5 6 and 7, and I recently had them sign up for Duolingo for Schools. My students work on Duolingo when they’re done their assigned school work. It’s a bit gamified, so they gain XP; which gives them bit of incentive. Though their Duolingo use is not linear with the curriculum that I have planned they’re still being exposed to the language, which is the most important.

I think it’s also great for my students to know that platforms like Duolingo exist. They could use something like Coursera, Khan Academy, or any other MOOCs in the future.

Thanks for sharing.

Mark

2. philip pretty

Hi Sean,
    I recognize one of the “celebrity” names, Terry Anderson. I actually used his book a few courses ago on developing a theory of online learning.

I support open education, but I know that not everyone is enthusiastic about learning and sharing knowledge. Further, how has this open educational resource been developed? IS it subsidized by public education, a university, etc? I think immediately of Wikipedia and Khan Academy as beacons of open education. Almost all of the resources I tend to use are free and open in the realm of public education. These resources are teacher subject pages which share content or formative assessments, etc that I can use in my own classroom. Others include the free version of Kahoot for in-class practice. Free resources are not panaceas, they should still be rigorous and comprehensive. Developing these resources takes effort and someone has to really enjoy teaching and learning to contribute a sizeable chunk of free-time to build the resource and sustain it. I have created OERs to satisfy the requirements for a MET course and for subject based resources in 7-12 STEM. In terms of giving it away, and losing later, teachers are constantly sharing resources in a free and open manner. Who knows how much has been pilfered and sold on Teachers Pay Teachers.
    Another consideration is the motivation for developing an OER. Why develop free resource that may not be consumed. What makes people want to consume such resources, if not to satisfy the requirement of an academic program or occupation? As a public school teacher I think education is a right, however we will not likely see many MDs “graduate” from an online school of doctoring. So what is most one can do with an OER? What is it we are trying to achieve?

1. BrittanyHack

I have never heard of Terry Anderson, or perhaps overlooked journal articles that I may have used in previous courses. Now I am very curious and want to look this person up online. Thanks for pointing this individual out.

2. sean gallagher

Hi Philip. Good point regarding the effective “subsidy” of some open resources created under the authority of a school or university, but I personally don’t think of that as a burden on the school so much as an opportunity for them to fulfil their tacit (or explicit) obligations to the common good and the promotion of learning. Of course the schools also enjoy the benefits of the resource, and one would hope they would ensure that it’s robust and useful and academically rigorous if it represents their brand. The question for schools, I think is not “should we be developing resources?” but rather “since we’re developing resources anyway, why shouldn’t we share them?”

Regarding incentives for educators creating and sharing OEMs, I’m sure it begins with the desire or need to create something of value to their teaching, first and foremost, and the sharing follows their realization that it’s not a zero-sum situation, and sharing what they’ve developed takes nothing away from their and their students’ use of it. An online resource is (or can be) a public good in the classical Economics sense — anyone can use it, and one person’s use of it takes nothing away from others — unless of course schools or educators prefer to keep it all for themselves.