A3: My Instrument Collection

For my forecasting project I decided to theoretically create an AR mobile app called “My Instrument Collection”. The app provides an opportunity for user to virualty play instruments from all around the world with the help of QR codes, virtual reality microlearning, and NFT’s.

How it works

1. Watch a short video on the instrument of choice.
  2. Pass the short assessment.
  3. Collect the instrument.
  4. The instrument is stored as an interactive open-sourced NFT. (This protects the integrity identity of the interactive instruments)
  5. Print off URL codes and post them on the desired location.
  6. Set up phones to face you
  7. Play along by miming the traditional movements need to play that instruments.
  8. Record yourself or just listen to the audio created in realtime.

I hope you enjoy my A3 Project – https://michaelma3.weebly.com

Note: This idea originated from some research I was doing on an NFT company called Ecomi.They have an outstanding digital NFT collectible app called VEVE which is currently in beta and are currently creating interactive collectibles.

( Average Rating: 3.5 )

5 responses to “A3: My Instrument Collection”

1. philip pretty

Hi Michael, I really like this idea.
    It occurred to me that perhaps famous musicians might make their own instruments available in a virtual setting such as this, since they are NFTs and unique. I imagine going through all the different guitars that Slash, Jimmy Page or JAck White might use. I would even consider the turntables or 808s used in hip hop. This could be additional means of revenue and permit fan and artist interaction in a new and interesting way. Finally, even your experience may be turned into an NFT, so in the future, you could let your grandkids experience that time you jammed with Eric Clapton virtually. Again, I see great potential for celebrities to offer up their instrument collections to play. Great idea Michael!

2. LoriMeville

Hi Michael,
    Music learning and collaboration are going in many interesting directions with innovation increasingly being driven by the pandemic. I think that your app idea is unique in that it involves both using the instruments and learning about their cultural origins, and it would engage learners of any age with its QR codes and AR enhancements. This would be appealing to a universal audience and also be an excellent tool in an online music teacher’s repertoire. In order to understand some of the technology involved, I actually had to go back to your previous post on blockchain technology and I needed to Google NFT’s to get a better picture of what you were talking about. Your less tech-savvy audience member(s) might need a more concrete introduction to these pieces of technology knowledge to better grasp your big picture.

1. michael meroniuk

Hi Lori,
      Great point about NFT’s not being common knowledge at this point. I’m so consumed with them at the moment as they seem to be the hot topic in the music and art world. If I was to recreate this project I would definitely explain NFT’s in more detail and demonstrate who and why they are essential to the longevity of my theoretical product. Thanks for the great feedback!

3. janice roper

Hi Michael,
    This is a creative idea and could likely provide hours of fun and learning for music students. AR is an exciting area and it seems like the opportunities are endless. Do you envision contributors from around the world in order to expand the variety of instruments? It would be interesting if there could be some collaborative component worked into the program as well, so that students could work together, or maybe even connect with students elsewhere (with safety and privacy concerns taken into account). The one piece that I didn’t fully understand is the QR codes, can they be read by the phone while a person is playing the virtual instrument? Is it like the wristbands or controllers on a Nintendo Wii or Switch?

1. michael meroniuk

Hello Janice,

Thanks for the fantastic feedback!
      “Do you envision contributors from around the world in order to expand the variety of instruments”?

The collaboration I imagined for the project would occur in the form of interviews and performances from elite players of these various instruments from around the world. Body movements, and idiosyncrasies would be recorded by video and motion capture devices similar to what EA games use for their AAA sports games. Each one of these professionals would be interviewed about the history original and cultural significance of their instrument to help paint an accurate picture of it’s significance without the bias imposed by the western music world.

The one-piece that I didn’t fully understand is the QR codes, can they be read by the phone while a person is playing the virtual instrument?

The idea is that the printable and portable QR codes allow low-cost objects like cardboard or body parts to function in a similar fashion to a wristband or Wii controller. For example, if you cut an electric guitar out of the cardboard you could paste the provided QR on the designated locations on that cardboard electric guitar and control various parameters. This could be individual note selection, strumming, etc. The purpose of this is to keep the cost as low as possible for schools. Designated controllers would be pricy and become a hurdle for schools to afford. This also allows young students to build mock instruments and learn from the process. The OR codes work together to basically provide pillars in a map for the app to virtually create the instrument in augmented reality. The movement between these pillars is what allows instrument manipulation ie strumming, timbre, velocity, sustain, etc.

Honestly, I kind of wish I had these questions to answer before completing my A3………….

Thanks again!
      Michael