The impact of Augmented Reality (AR) on Education:

While going through the posts and resources under the Knowledge Mill, I found some valuable information with regard to Augmented Reality (AR). However, one (1) question remained unanswered, which is, what is the impact of utilizing Augmented Reality in education? Before proceeding to answer this question, lets define the AR first. Godoy (2020) defines AR as “the integration of information in digital format which includes live video on the real time environment of a certain user” (Godoy, 2020, para. 1). This interactive experience “uses virtual objects or data that overlap physical objects or environments to create a mixed reality” (Godoy, 2020, para. 3).

In other words, in AR, simulated objects coexist with real-world environment to create an experience that enhances the learning opportunities. This 3-dimensional modeling is so powerful that enables the users to create and replicate anything; from the basic objects to the most complex designs that one could imagine.

Going back to the initial question, can augmented reality be used in education/classrooms? My humble opinion is that Yes! Augmented reality can certainly be valuable for teachers and educators. Even though it will bring along a series of challenges, both on the infrastructure level as well as on the process/implementation level, but in the long run it can be quite beneficial.

Let’s examine the learning opportunities using a few examples. Currently, we utilize two-dimensional mediums for educational purposes, but what if we introduced three-dimensional products in our teaching? For instance, how would health sciences classes benefit from AR? How would combining physical and virtual worlds impact a science teacher who is trying to explain the heart and circulatory system? How would a physical education teacher who is trying to educate kids on the muscular system benefit from AR? The answer is simple, with the introduction of augmented reality, the learning possibilities become endless and priceless. As Godoy (2020) puts it “in an environment where required structure needs to be examined from all angles, anatomical learning is best performed using a tool that will show this angle (Godoy, 2020, p. 3). Godoy (2020) continues by saying that “Augmented Reality is one of the best tools to show angles as the developer can easily manipulate how the augmented object will rotate and show” (Godoy, 2020, p. 3).

As mentioned above, I believe that Augmented Reality has positive impacts on students’ learning performance and attitudes and once we overcome the infrastructure and implementation hiccups, we would see immense value in using AR. I would highly suggest that you read Godoy’s (2020) paper that has been attached to this post, and watch the following short video on AR.

How do you see the future of Augmented Reality in Education?

Godoy, C. (2020). Augmented Reality for Education: A Review. International Journal of Innovative Science and Research Technology Volume 5 – 2020, Issue 6 – June, 5(6), 39-45. doi:10.38124/ijisrt20jun256

VirQ Tech (2017, October 22). AR Chemistry Augmented Reality Education

13 responses to “The impact of Augmented Reality (AR) on Education:”

1. sheena outerbridge sjoberg

Hi Saeid
    Thanks for your response and especially your provocative question re. AR as mainstream in education and, I would add in many arenas. – Or not I would relate my response to the most basic human ability to think (or not to think OR can you think?) What are the driving forces in education – ivory towers of academia, political gain and thereby legitimate power or the concepts of tunnel vision or. Navel gazing?( or living under cruel totalitarian rule)

Considering the fallout of the COVID pandemic and the incumbent necessity for sceptics to face consequences of education by truly acknowledging the important role of online learning raised hackles, despite evidence confirming its role in continuity of essential services in education, health , research and maintaining some degree of connecting loved ones while enabling people to remain safe.
    The overarching, consistent impression remained scepticism and suspicion of “inferior learning.

Core problems less mentioned were the lack of developed online systems especially in education. The darker side of education or soft underbelly was exposed. Rather than applying “just in time “ solutions my impression was this was a time for a dual strategy 1. To address the weaknesses in online learning and 2. to remotely look at the really disgusting oxygen starved classroom models which exist today.

AR is an important construct in learning. Robotics is another arm of this category and has certainly taken off in relationship to other academic topics. Is this part of the “ future of work?”
    Learning in any sphere empowers, educates and should promote individual development, curiosity and fire up our ambition to learn. – not only for self but in a larger complex , a safer, healthier and less discriminatory world Unfortunately, ideals not always in keeping with incompetence in power or finance.
    Just a few basic personal concepts ……..
    We have learned to recognize
    Blinders so that is obsolete( except

2. Sam Charles (He/Him/His)

Thanks for sharing Saeid.
    Any tool that can make learning more tangible and applied is valuable. Augmented Reality can definitely be a game-changer within education, but apart from the cost of the technology, like many new innovations it needs to wait for more advocates to get on-board (as Brendan points out in the comments thread). Providing students with the opportunity to immerse themselves in an environment can propel pedagogy forward. Here is an example of AR being used at UBC Okanagan’s School of Engineering: https://news.ok.ubc.ca/2019/12/20/engineering-students-enter-virtual-reality-operating-room/

1. hasssae1

Thank you for sharing the article Sam. Pleasantly surprised to see AR used at UBC schools.
      I concur, typically new innovations would need to wait for more advocates to get on-board and therein lies the opportunity for the trail blazers. In my humble opinion, the organizations/institutions that take the risk and make such innovative moves ahead of the competitors, will always benefit from the first-mover advantage which they can later leverage.

3. David Vogt

Thanks for stimulating this stimulating discussion, Saeid – perhaps a great warm-up for the Week 5 Team’s focus on AR? Let’s not get too far ahead.

I’ll add something that may seem like a non sequitur: very simply: URAR (your are AR). Our current perspectives on the nature of human consciousness is that it is a “controlled hallucination” [see for example: https://www.edge.org/conversation/andy_clark-perception-as-controlled-hallucination ]. None of us ever actually see or experience “reality” (whatever that is!) in any isolated, definitive or sharable way, because our brains modify every facet of internal and external sensation on the fly to serve a Bayesian (predictive statistical) model of our existence that is focused on survival. Our consciousness is literally a highly personalized augmentation of reality within which it may be impossible to ever ‘turn off’ any of those augmentations (to understand some ‘true’ baseline, for example), or to appreciate how different the augmentations of our peers might be.

From an educational perspective, a child is DNA-encoded with many of these augmentations (such as the ability to recognize faces) and builds countless others from well before birth. For me, at least, the prospective value of new forms of AR to learning, and to humanity in general, is inescapable, despite there being many practical problems and hazards along the way…

1. hasssae1

Thank you Dr. Vogt; quite informative.

Quick question, the link appears to be broken. Would it be possible for you to re-share that.

Saeid

1. David Vogt

The link is fixed now…

1. hasssae1

Perfect – thank you.

4. brendan stanford

I think you made a good point as to the value of AR in particular contexts where it is difficult or impossible to represent concepts in a physical or a 2D model, such as physiology. In K-12 education, I am unfortunately less convinced of their utility at present given the additional costs (both financial and temporal) involved, which pains me to say given my deep personal interest and investment in AR, VR and other novel forms of media (I bought a Quest 2 headset because of experiences students shared with me). There are some applications where I think the benefit is substantial (for example, if students are drafting 3D designs for printing and they wish to see the actual real-world dimensions of their 2D on-screen creation), however, as per the SAMR model, most applications I have seen (for example, the chemistry AR cards above) typically involve substitution or mild augmentation relative to their 2D models, and the additional logistical work required to obtain kits, distribute them among students and train them in their setup and use can become undermine the experience’s value. Lastly, I think there is still something to be said for the inherent value of a tangible learning experience; simulating a chemical reaction can be interesting (and I’ll concede that atomic/molecular interactions can be visualized a way not possible in reality), but it seldom engages students more than an actual reaction on the lab bench. That said, I think that as AR and VR equipment become more embedded into existing products (see the new rayban “stories” glasses), it will afford more opportunities for learning modification and redfinition in ways we cannot yet percieve. Thanks for sharing this post on a fascinating topic!

1. hasssae1

Hi Brendan,
      Thank you for the reply; great points.
      You got three (3) main points in your response, and I find all of them relevant. With regard to your first two points (cost & logistical work), in your opinion, would additional expenses and the required logistical work be reduced once the hardware becomes mainstream?
      With regard to your third point (tangible learning experience), you have a valid point, sitting on the lab bench would probably work better where possible, however if we want to teach the kids/students about how animals live in Virunga National Park in Uganda then we start to see how immersive technology becomes a valuable part of the teaching/learning experience. I, 100% agree with your closing sentence, opportunities for learning modification in ways we cannot yet perceive will emerge as a result of AR/VR that would be fascinating few years from now.

1. brendan stanford

Hi Saeid,

Yes I agree that with more mainstream adoption, costs and logistical hurdles would be reduced, and with devices such as the oculus quest 2, we seem to be getting closer, but I don’t think we’re there yet. I also concur that for these “virtual field trips”, reality simply isn’t possible, so VR/AR serves as the next best thing!

Cheers,
        Brendan

1. hasssae1

Makes sense. 100%. Thank you Brendan.

5. sheena outerbridge sjoberg

Augmented Reality is definitely applied in healthcare education from training of insertion of devices of all sorts to a lesser role of the body physiology construct. The 3D model when available is ideal. From another perspective heath education is filled with mandatory and essential learning of physiology and how the body works. Or should I say constructed to work under normal circumstances.

The greatest challenge I would say is Neuro physiology and the inherent myriad neuron pathways. As most of you are aware there are still questions around how and why the brain behaves in such a way. With a challenge in substance abuse, especially among youth, augmented reality programs could be constructed as part of an assistance in addressing this issue. While perhaps not guaranteeing success. It is informative which is part of the AR objective

From another perspective, one of the key questions for the Nobel prize in Endocrinology is what is the role of the brain in the onset of puberty and the menstrual cycle . If that is successfully shown then the lucrative prize is something to think about

Finally use of AR is a valuable assistance to learning but the question remains as to the level of reflection and independent thought which must underpin learning and assimilation of knowledge

Thanks for this. Joy

1. hasssae1

Hi Sheena,
      I enjoyed reading this, well-articulated. Thank you.
      One question crossed my mind as I was reading your post. You mentioned that augmented reality is a valuable assistance to learning, which is absolutely correct, however that does bring up one question for me. If there is value in AR, how could educators/schools/institutions make this technology mainstream? Is it by revising their curriculum design? Better planning? More budgets?
      Look forward to reading your response,
      Thank you,
      Saeid