Always On Culture

The mobile world keeps us connected at all times and all locations. For good or bad, we always have our phones on us, and we expect it of others. Because of this, when we send a message, we expect an instant response. We know the receiver probably already read it on their phone, so why should we wait? This expectation leaves many unable to shut off aspects of their lives when needed. We are always on – always connected.

We often associate the always on culture with work. Many when we are at home, we remain connected to our work email. We feel the need to respond and engage at all hours of the day. This can leave us feeling either burnt out, or if we do not engage, like bad workers.

I do not only feel this expectation from work; the always-on culture puts pressure on all aspects of life. The social pressure to be always-on can leave me feeling just as burnt-out as work. I am left feeling like a bad friend, daughter, or sister if I do not remain in constant communication. 

How do we manage these expectations we put on ourselves and others?

( Average Rating: 4.5 )

2 responses to “Always On Culture”

1. chowey

As an international school teacher I have noticed a pronounced shift to an always on culture. Prior to Covid my employers followed a 24 hour workday email reply policy, but as we shifted from in-person to online learning the expectation of availability also shifted. In a sense it was justifiable as students and teachers alike were logging-on from multiple time zones across the world. While lessons were recorded and students within my school’s timezone attended classes many students were asleep in different parts of the world. Those students would invariably have questions when they awoke and the 24 hour email policy no longer seemed practical for the benefit of student learning. For the first time in my teaching career I installed my work’s email app on my phone (something I said I would never do prior to Covid) and I became connected through my mobile (and personal device) and became always on. I hope as we shift back to in-person learning this doesn’t remain a new expectation as the boundaries between nonworking hours and working hours become increasingly blurred.

2. Kendall

Hi Katharine,
    I think that this is SUCH a huge issue that we really have perpetuated ourselves. We’ve become increasingly attached to our devices to the point where many of us have anxiety if they aren’t with us constantly as we go about our day. The other morning I forgot my phone at home when I went to work and I was distracted the entire day. It’s not like I am perpetually on my phone, however, I worried for hours that I would miss something important because I didn’t have it with me. By the end of the day, though, I almost felt liberated! But of course, I fell right back into my same routine of bringing it with me wherever I go to make sure that I can stay continually connected. I watch my own family members move from room to room in the house always with their phones right on them. It really is astonishing how many of us feel like we need to always remain “on”.