Futurism – When the Phone Flies

*note: I know Mobile Technology week was before this, but Ring (Amazon) announced the Always Home Cam this week*

This is likely a perversion of what we in 2021 consider mobile technology, but the ability to have your mobile tech fly around with you completely changes the context.

In my Robotics classes we often have discussions about the automation of jobs. I often warn the students against monotonous, easily automated, roles that will quickly be replaced by machines.

In doing those talks I will now need to add security guard to that list.

I’m also curious as to if this technology is integrated with augmented reality applications to create surveiliance tech the way we’ve seen in some science fiction.

Speaking of science fiction, I envision a future where my students arrive to class with their mobile phone familiar floating over their shoulder like a sci-fi pirate. I suspect that the future will be weird.

( Average Rating: 4.5 )

3 responses to “Futurism – When the Phone Flies”

1. Agnes

The most enticing aspect of the “Ring Always Home Cam”, is checking to make sure you turned appliances off when you are away from the house. After selfie sticks were introduced, I always envisioned a camera/phone where you threw/released it in the air, and then it would hover, could focus and take a great picture from a distance. Seeing the “Ring Always Home Cam” makes me think that maybe we are not too far away from a selfie hover cam?

2. mitchell way

In researching our A2 Assignment on DIY learning I also happened upon this gem of a flying Nerf Gun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RKy_i2h_j8

3. hasssae1

Hi Mitchell,
    Thank you for the post, quite a relevant topic.
    Always Home Cam (AHC) is truly fascinating. I would still question the long-term precision of the navigation censors but overall, I find its compatibility with the existing Ring devices a nice touch. What could be a continuous improvement initiative on AHC is creating built-in motion sensors, so AHC responds to activity in the home automatically and starts flying right away, rather than needing to be triggered by a person from the App.
    Wow, floating phones !!! Indeed, future will be weird. Couldn’t agree more.
    Thanks Mitchell
    Saeid