A1-Digital Story-making Apps

Hi everyone, for this assignment, I decided to look at some digital story-making apps that might be suitable for my students. I’m a huge believer in the margin of story-telling and every person has their unique story to share, including my little 5-year-old learners. Mobile devices have opened up new possibilities for students’ story-making experience, but there are also some concerns around it. Please find my analysis on Digital Stor-making Apps here. Your question and feedback are appreciated and welcomed!

( Average Rating: 4.5 )

5 responses to “A1-Digital Story-making Apps”

1. Feras Alachek

Hi Trisa. Thank you for bringing our attention to the subject of digital storytelling. I am currently doing a project on “Engagement in Online Learning through Digital Storytelling”, and I find your critical analysis on point. The three apps are expressive and considerably easy to use, with some degree of proper training. Students already have a strong basis on traditional storytelling through K-12 tasks, so shifting to digital storytelling is not a daunting task since they have the conceptual knowledge. Therefore, I argue that your mentioned con on requiring knowledge of story elements is not actually a shortcoming but rather a prerequisite. I appreciate your notes on user privacy and security concerns as they are often overlooked by the learners, and instructional guidance shall be given in that regard. There are other platforms that the learners could use to deliver a good narrative with a meaningful purpose, and it is the instructor’s responsibility to balance the equation of edutainment and make the process meaningfully fitting the ultimate academic objectives.

1. Trista Ding

Hi Feras, thank you so much for sharing your feedback and insight. I think that understanding the story elements would be a prerequisite for some students, but for some learners, it would be a concept that they need to practice while making their own stories. Some of my students are able to identify the elements after listening to a story, but when it comes to creating their own stories, some of the elements are missing. That’s why I think that listening to their own recorded stories will help them to solidify the concept. I agree with you last comment on the instructor’s responsibility to guide students to achieve their academic goal and not being too distracted by the wonderful learning tools.

2. emma markoff

Hi Trista! I really like your use of Prezi for this. Echoing the comments above, these apps are new to me and it was really nice to see the pros and cons as you laid them out, and other suggestions. These apps look like a great way to have students engage in their own education, and have fun while doing so (I wish stuff like this had been available when we were in that age group!)

3. deisy castillo

Great presentation Trista, Those apps are new to me and I appreciate your suggestions. I will surely take a loot at them.

4. Kendall

Hi Trista!
    I really enjoyed your critical review of digital story-making apps and learning more about the three different apps you chose to focus on. I’ve used Toontastastic before, though not the other two, so it was nice to compare. I’d definitely like to try them, and you’ve inspired me! I also really appreciated your suggestions when using digital story-making apps as they were very insightful and useful for educators to keep in mind. My number one concern about using these apps is the time it can take versus other ways to illustrate stories. That being said, students really do end up working on a multitude of other soft skills such as perseverance and problem-solving, so it makes me feel more confident if projects take longer than normal story projects take.
    Thank you for sharing, Trista!
    KJ