A3: Virtual Reality for ESL Students’ Social & Cultural Integration

Synopsis: Virtual Reality (VR) technology for English as a Second Language (ESL) students, in particular when it comes to facilitating social and cultural integration, is a dimension of mobility that certainly requires more attention. Please review my article and animation, and let me know your thoughts/feedback.

Link to the article & animation: https://esl-vr.wixsite.com/etec523a3

Reflection/Activity:

Please let me know your thoughts/suggestions on the following two (2) questions:

1. In your opinion, will VR technology be fully realized, and revolutionize the way that ESL programs are currently conducted?
  2. In your opinion, could VR replace the language/ESL books entirely in the future?

Thank you,

Saeid

18 responses to “A3: Virtual Reality for ESL Students’ Social & Cultural Integration”

1. SheenaChan

Hi Saeid,

Interesting idea. I sometimes tutor students getting ready for TOEIC/TOEFL/SATs; something I hear from them when they come back from the States or Canada is how tough it can be asking questions, so I think opportunities to practise in life-like settings is beneficial. I wonder if VR could be used as part of a RPG to help students practise their English conversational skills? Or to connect with other learners to discuss themes in literature?

2. Erica Hargreave

Hi Saeid,

I am assuming here that you are focused on adult ESL learners, and would quite agree that many adult ESL classes need to be more interactive, and allow for students to engage in the kind of daily, social, and work situations that they will encounter throughout their days and weeks. Is 360 video VR the answer to that? I don’t think so, as 360 video VR is just like watching a video of such scenes – its passive, one-sided, and not engaging or interactive. VR could be a solution though, if you could enter a VR world, first watch such a scene play out, and then become a player within that scene. After observing a meal, you are then invited to sit down at the table to engage with a virtual person, who talks to you and asks you questions. If you successfully navigate the conversation with the virtual person, then you advance on to a new experience. If not, you return to being an observer of the scene to determine your mistakes and then enter the eperience for a second time. Rinse and repeat.

Also, whether we enjoy it or not, we do still need to spend time learning to read and write in a language that we wish to be able to engage within. That includes the grammar of that language, so that we can present ourselves well in that language when we need to. Ideally, a well rounded class would involve some time on reading and writing skills, and some time on more engaging skills of speaking and working through everyday scenarios, possibly in VR.

1. hasssae1

Thank you Erica. I agree with your points. I particularly liked the hybrid approach that you discussed. It appears that the consensus in this thread is that a well-rounded class needs to have a fair balance of reading/writing and some time for engaging/deploying the language, where VR could potentially help.

3. melissa santo

Hi Saeid. I think this is an interesting idea and I agree with many other comments here. I don’t think VR will revolutionize ESL/ELL but would be an excellent tool to include for formal (and even informal) language learning programs. I believe this could also be especially great for cultural sensitivity training and/or international empathy. While exploring your ideas, I wondered if this could be especially powerful to integrate AI/machine-learning so that learners could have virtual ‘conversations’ that offer an opportunity to pause, explain and correct if someone makes a linguistic or social behavioural ‘mistake.’ I also wondered about augmented (or mixed) reality to help with tasks that are unfamiliar but could be better learned in-person (e.g., buying a train ticket from a machine – hold your phone up and it tells you all the steps). That feature could also be a bridge between independent VR practice and getting out into the ‘real world,’ which provides so many valuable aspects (as pointed out by others). Given how much technology convergence we are seeing currently, I can’t help but assume we will start to see devices and programs that utilize multiple technologies at once.

1. hasssae1

Thank you Melissa. Those are some well-articulated and thought-provoking ideas/questions. I particularly liked the idea of pausing and discussing with newcomers if there is a social-behavioural mistake. This could be particularly useful in situations that could be anxiety-provoking, and learning can simply happen when a student is sitting at their desk. ESL students shouldn’t need to wait until they leave the classroom to practically apply what they learned. VR should/can provide that type of language immersion. Great points, thank you Melissa, got me thinking.

4. Sam Charles (He/Him/His)

Hi Saeid,
    I don’t think any technology can really provide an immersive experience that you describe better than the real thing. Sure, VR is the closest we can get with modern technology but it isn’t the same as the student going to buy the ticket on their own and conversing with people in real-world circumstances.
    Your questions:
    Will VR revolutionize the way ESL programs are currently conducted?
    I think it improves the way students can learn to interact, but only a strong teacher and/or immersive experiences can truly provide a learner with greater knowledge and confidence in approaching a new language and culture.
    Can VR replace language / EDL books entirely?
    Absolutely, but I doubt they would help with reading and writing. For conversational language instruction, outside of the real thing (communicating with another individual), VR is would be an invaluable resource.

1. hasssae1

Thank you Sam. Makes me happy that almost everyone sees some degree of potential for VR application when it comes to language learning. I agree, VR would be an invaluable resource; VR enables the students to experience the language, not just learn it.

2. elizabeth

Real-life immersive learning is lauded as the gold standard for second language L2 acquisition. However, few students honing their L2 skills have access or the confidence to take advantage of real-life opportunities. Moreover, according to Vygotsky’s zone of proximal development, learning requires going beyond one’s current skill set. Providing support for learning differentiates between a successful or unsuccessful outcome, However that scaffolding could be supplied by a human or immersive virtual reality (IVR) program (Bacca-Acosta, 2022). (Lan et al., 2018) research on second language learning in a 3D virtual world showed that immersive virtual avatar role-plays in authentic social interaction had the highest achievement for all learners compared to real embodied and non-embodied via reading. Legault et al. (2019) had similar findings that struggling L2 learners benefitted significantly from IVR learning. Human facilitators will be soon teaming up with robotic language tutors as well.

Resources
      Bacca-Acosta, J., Tejada, J., Fabregat, R., & Guevara, J. (2022). Scaffolding in immersive virtual reality environments for learning English: An eye tracking study. Educational Technology Research and Development, 70, 339–362. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11423-021-10068-7
      Legault, J., Zhao, J., Chi, Y.-A., Chen, W., Klippel, A., & Li, P. (2019). Immersive virtual reality as an effective tool for second language vocabulary learning. Languages, 4(1), 2226-471X. https://doi.org/10.3390/languages4010013
      Lan, Y. J., Fang, WC., Hsiao, I. Y. T., & Chen, N. S. (2018). Real body versus 3D avatar: The effects of different embodied learning types on EFL listening comprehension. Education Tech Research Dev, 66, 709–731. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11423-018-9569-y

5. Tasneem

Hi Saeid, what a wonderful presentation! I like how you gave both an article with scholarly references as well as an intriguing video to go along with it. As for the idea of VR in an ESL classroom, I think it’s a fantastic idea. I have taken foreign language classes before and found that the constant repetition could be quite boring and demotivating when trying to learn a new language, so the concept of VR in a classroom like that would be extremely valuable, especially since much of language is intertwined with culture and VR could give the opportunity to experience those cultures in a much more immersive way. A school I used to work at had a VR centre where teachers were able to arrange “virtual field trips” for their students to help them understand material more; for example, a science class learning about the ocean might use VR to go on an underwater adventure. I think something similar here can apply perfectly to not only EAL classes, but foreign language classes as a whole. Someone who is learning French would be able to order breakfast from a cafe in Paris, or someone learning Spanish could virtually experience Cinco de Mayo. I would love to see this in practice!

PS. Just wanted to let you know that UBC offers a free license to Videoscribe for all their students! You would be able to download it by contacting the Learning Technology Support Hub in case you ever want to get rid of that pesky watermark and use all their tools 🙂 Great presentation nonetheless!

1. hasssae1

Hi Tasneem,
      Thank you for taking the time to review my work, and for your feedback.
      I find the idea of virtual field trips quite fascinating, and very well in line with what I had in mind for ESL students. Looking at the feedback from folks in this thread, the common theme is that when it comes to linguistic and cultural learning opportunities for ESL students, there is certainly potential for VR application. Great, didn’t know that UBC offers a free license to Videoscribe for students; much appreciate it.

6. asha pippo

Hi Saeid, I enjoyed your video and article especially as I’ve been researching multi sensory virtual reality for my A3 and I can see how it could also be used now for ELL. I have seen VR used to welcome new students to schools through a VR orientation which is largely visual when they are ELL students in elementary schools and it was hugely beneficial, also for students with learning disabilities or on the autism spectrum who would find touring a school in person very overwhelming. I think that there are opportunities to use VR to enhance a strong program but I’m not sure it could replace it as many of the nuances of languages aren’t captured outside of interactions. When my own children were learning English, we are French speaking at home, I found it hugely helpful to just take them out into the world and let them observe and pick up language like sponges and I think VR would be helpful in that respect. They learned differently how to use language in interacting with people as it forced them to learn how to articulate their thoughts, replace a French word with the correct English word etc…and I don’t think VR could provide that. In considering the applications in my own A3, I think the points raised above are important to consider – how would it enhance a classroom experience or program rather than replace it? How do we allow for fatigue or possible side effects? What is the plan for those students who it doesn’t work well for? How do we partner VR with the current framework in schools? In my own reserach, multi sensory VR has proven to offer improved ability to recall and remember information as it is linked to the senses and I do think that may offer possibilities for language acquisition as well perhaps? Could language be learned more quickly using VR if partnered with multi sensory lessons? It’s an interesting idea and I think there are great possibilities that relate to education and that the challenge will be to figure out how to manage the costs of implementing the technology as well as use it effectively.

1. hasssae1

Hi Asha,

Thank you for taking the time to review my work and for the great feedback. The questions that you raised are foundational and critical to better understanding how VR could complement the learning experience. Similar to you, Miguel also sees potential in VR application for students with special needs and I’m glad that we could unpack that in this thread. One (1) question crossed my mind as I was going over the questions that you raised; do you see any area/subject at schools that cannot benefit from VR implementation at all?

7. miguel rojas ortega

Hello Saeid, thank you for delivering to us this topic in such informative and engaging way. I am a Spanish teacher and went to an ESL school and I personally believe that languages need to be taught face to face in a more interactive humanly way. I am a big fan of VR and am very aware of all its capabilities and potentials, however I am and have always been skeptical about the use of too much technology in education. I think VR can definitely be a useful resource and tool for ESL social and cultural integration, but will have to agree with Olivia regarding VR being the door to “revolutionize” ELL programs or any other language domains. I admire your conviction about the topic and respect the way you view the future of new ways to deliver the teaching; however, I am a strong believer of staying connected with this world when it comes to social experiences, cultural engagement, and world exploration. On the contrary, I do believe that this type of technology can be very effective for completing educational tasks that may be challenging to reach, especially now with the restrictions on world travel. Just like everything in life, balance is key so integrating VR into ESL teaching has to be limited so that the students don’t lose the ability to interact with others or simply see the VR experience as a video game. This is definitely a futuristic idea, especially with the cost of this technology and integrating it into schools for as many students in the classroom. However, I believe VR for ESL teaching for students with special needs would definitely revolutionize the way we can meet their needs. I think that reading resources should be in books as I believe books should remain in paper and not digitalize. Books have been in our civilization since the beginning of times and for me is sad to see them getting dusty in a library while develop bad eye sight and headaches due to the light intake. Although I use VR for short periods of time once an a while at home for videogames and other fascinating world travel adventures, nothing is more exciting than the real world to me. I agree that it can definitely help see the world through a different lens (literarily) and really do look forward to when a proper VR experience can be reached without a bunch of the negative aspects I mentioned. I support how this technology can allow experience the world in ways we could never imagine. Thank you for providing us with this prospect!

1. hasssae1

Hi Miguel,
      Thank you for such a well-articulated response. I certainly appreciate that you shared your experience and perspective on language learning and how you as an educator believe that language must be taught face to face. Having said this, do you see the trend going towards that direction? I feel like education is in fact moving away from face to face, in particular after the covid crisis has forced everyone to engage in the ubiquitous use of virtual learning. Additionally, I feel like the same applies to books. Similar to you, I truly love paperbacks.; don’t know why, but I love the feel, texture, smell, and the whole experience. But the reality is different. Ebooks have taken over and continue to grow exponentially. When you look at other aspects of our lives, you see the same thing happening, newspapers are all mostly digital now, etc….. In other words, I feel like VR would be the next big thing in language learning and its application would be inevitable. Having said this, this could be a futuristic idea and time can only tell. Thank you for the response, got me thinking.

8. Olivia Tarasewicz

Hi Hassae, I really enjoyed your article and video! I was an ELL teacher in Calgary from 2006-2014. In my experience, I found that the quality of teaching varied greatly from teacher to teacher and school to school. I think this is because it is relatively easy to get an ESL teaching certificate and the fact that anyone can open an ELL school. I completed my ACE TESOL certificate in 3 months after getting my undergrad. I was not prepared to teach after those three months however I quickly learned how to become a good teacher with practice and some good mentorship. I worked at many different ELL providers in Calgary and the quality of those learning environments varied greatly place to place. From my experience, I found that many teachers do talk to students about Canadian culture and also give students opportunities to talk about their cultures as well. I do not think VR will “revolutionize” ELL programs but I think they would be a great addition to the classroom for the reasons that you mentioned. Having a chance to practice English in a low-stakes environment would be wonderful. I don’t think VR would really disrupt things because you can only wear a VR headset for a short period of time, about 15 minutes, so what will you do for the rest of the class? If you have ever tried VR, you will find that after about 15 minutes your brain gets tired and you may feel disorientated as well. This is because the technology still needs to be improved so that the frames per second are more smooth. Could VR replace language books entirely? Well, I would say yes but along with other technology. I think ELL classrooms do not leverage technology enough, especially ELL classes outside of colleges and universities, simply because of lack of funding and lack of teacher training. I think teachers could also benefit from wearing VR goggles to get a better sense of what it feels like to be a newcomer in Canada. When I was an ELL teacher, I took 6 months off to travel through South America. I took some Spanish classes before I left on my trip but the real learning occurred when I was actually traveling. I got a real understanding of what it is like to be in countries where I understood a little bit but I didn’t understand a lot. It was so taxing being surrounded by a language and cultures that I couldn’t fully comprehend. I think VR experience for ELL teachers similar to what I experienced traveling could also help to show teachers how tiring it is to be a newcomer and why culturally relevant teaching is important. Lastly, I think a more sophisticated form of VR where students could record, review, analyze, and provide feedback on their VR role play would be so amazing! I know I struggled a lot as a teacher trying to come up with ways to provide authentic learning experiences (field trips and role-playing only goes so far) for my student and VR could provide high-quality experiences in this regard.

1. hasssae1

Hi Olivia,
      Thank you for reading my work and for the well-articulated feedback.
      While completing this assignment, I was hoping that ESL teachers like yourself would see my post and share their feedback, as they have firsthand experience with such classrooms. So, I thank you for this.
      You bring up such an interesting topic regarding the easiness of getting an ESL certificate and anyone being able to open an ELL school. This ties nicely to the concept of competency. In your opinion, do we need a more stringent process when it comes to ESL teacher certification? Do you suggest more rigor around competency verification pieces for ESL teachers?
      With regard to obstacles that ELL classes face when it comes to leveraging technology, your response correctly mirrors what existing literature was revealing. Most articles that I reviewed, ranked “lack of funding” the biggest factor that infringed the ability to utilize and/or update technology-use in ESL classrooms.
      Lastly, with regard to VR implementation in ESL classes, you look at the topic from such an interesting angle. Enabling educators to use VR so they understand what it truly means to be a newcomer is a fascinating idea. Culturally-relevant teaching would become more than ever relevant, and educators would get a better sense of what it means to deploy the language in a totally new environment with different values, norms, standards, practices, etc…Thank you.
      Saeid

1. Olivia Tarasewicz

Hi Saeid, I’m not sure if a more stringent process is the answer. I think that first of all, there should be a single certification program in Canada instead of having a mix of private and public schools doing their own thing. I found that I improved my teaching skills by actually being in the classroom and receiving feedback from co-workers. I think an annual evaluation by your peers and supervisors or a certification board would be useful as I find that most teachers I worked with did not continually reflect on their teaching practice and try to improve or update it. I think a mentorship program for new teachers would be helpful as well. Lastly, I think mandatory professional development in order for teachers to keep their accreditation would be helpful as well (i.e., teachers have to earn a certain amount of credits for attending various professional development opportunities over a specific timeframe). I know this all happens to a degree in the industry but I think it should be more uniform and streamlined across Canada. Culturally relevant teaching is very important, especially in this field. This is something that is not taught in ELL teacher training as far as I know. Most people I worked with were empathetic and culturally sensitive. Those instructors were usually immigrants themselves, came from an immigrant family (like me), or were married to an immigrant. I also witnessed some appalling, culturally insensitive practices over the years which are simply unacceptable in this field of work.

1. hasssae1

I Olivia,
          Thank you for such a well-articulated response. I hope other ESL teachers in this class continue to add to this list. Reading your response, I can place the big-ticket items that you mentioned in five (5) buckets:
          1) Having a central regulatory/certification body
          2) Conducting annual peer evaluations
          3) Conducting supervisor evaluation/competency verification
          4) Mentorship program opportunities
          5) Accreditation and/or re-certification