A3: Keep It Simple; An App for Emergent Writers

My forecasting assignment focuses on a gap in technology that currently exists for emergent primary writers. Described in the video below is an idea for a free, ultra-simple, utilitarian app that young students can use to assist them with writing about their stories and learning without getting stuck on spelling words. Instead of students wasting precious learning time waiting for teachers or other MKOs to support them with their spelling strategies on a writing project, this is an app that incorporates an AI voice assistant to support young writers with their spelling, making them more independent and efficient.

( Average Rating: 4.5 )

7 responses to “A3: Keep It Simple; An App for Emergent Writers”

1. Anna Ayoung-Stoute

Hi Kendall

Your app for Emergent Writers is fantastic. As I watched your video, ESL students came to mind as this application would be most beneficial. These students may speak English but have difficulty writing. They also feel uncomfortable when sharing their writing with their peers. The app would allow them to practice as journaling is the best approach for improving writing.
    Also, students with learning disabilities would find this helpful such as people with dyslexia. They often have spelling difficulties, and the spelling partner function would be most helpful since they can say the word then play back, isolating each sound. The app is engaging and motivates students to journal, which can be boring at times.

2. emma markoff

Hi Kendall!

Wonderful idea (I watched it twice!) and great look at how technology can assist students in writing. I like the simplicity of it (as to work well for students, but also to cut down unnecessary time on “figuring it out”), and I like that all students can access this on their own time without being nervous to ask a teacher/having to be 1 of 25 others that need help from 1 teacher.

I agree with Trista – students definitely love the short cuts and I also wonder if if the speech to text option may diminish their skills in that area. Mind you, I’m sure that’s a function that kids are used to these days (ha).

3. Erica Hargreave

This is such a great idea, Kendall. It’s well thought out, and addresses the issues you present in an easy to use way for your students. You also set up the need for such an app well. I hope you actually consider making this – perhaps a 580? Totally appreciate the making it freely accessible, but have you considered how you might fund it in order to keep it freely accessible? Does your school board or district have funds that you could access for the development of such an app? Or perhaps funding through Google Classroom?

4. Trista Ding

Hi Kendall! What a wonderful presentation! Working with emerging writers every day makes me realize that the struggle that they have with stretching out the words and hearing the sounds is real. Often time my vulnerable writers would try and say the word so slowly but still have a hard time identifying the sound, so I think the app will give them a chance to hear the word from a different perspective. (It’s like listening to the teacher sounding it out for them!) I really appreciate that you focus on developing an app specifically assisting emerging writers with the skill, and what a great idea to keep the design/functions simple but very targeted. This is a great level up from the currently available apps. My only concern is that whether the “speech to text” function would take away from students practicing the skill by themselves (they are always smart with finding a shortcut), and I wonder what’s your thought about that?

5. cody peters

Hello Kendall! Fantastic analysis and conceptualization of a technology that does seem like it is very plausible within the near future. I really appreciate your emphasis on reducing that amount of linguistic restriction for emerging writers, as having to stop and wait for assistance or clarification can really pull a budding writer out of their writing, and can help maintain their line of thought. I myself tend tow rite in a very “flow of consciousness” style of writing, so having to stop and check if my syntax is correct or if I am using the right terminology can really throw my own writing off track. The independence angle is also fantastic, as I think a lot of new writers, especially younger students, may experience some hesitance in asking for assistance as they may be embarrassed or feel as though their writing is inadequate if they have to ask for help. By giving them a tool that lacks any form of judgement and is purely there to assist them in whatever way they need, emergent writers can build up their confidence and not have to worry about potential embarrassment or perceived judgement, which in turn can lead to stronger writing.

6. miguel rojas ortega

Hi Kendall, I really enjoyed your concept for the Keep It Simple app for Emergent Writers. I specifically appreciated this app as it is used alongside written work and an be used as an aid to support continued writing to increase a students ability to self learn and become more confident in their capabilities using this app for assistance. I also really appreciated the simple interface and design of the app without all of the added buttons or features that often distract from the main idea of supported learning and in this case stretching a word to better understand the structure of the word. I also liked that you took into consideration the simple design and usability for young students, as too often teachers are having to troubleshoot tech issues that do in deed take away valuable learning time. Overall great analysis and understanding of the needs of the students towards assisting learners with writing and spelling in a great yet simple app!

7. TeganSoros

Hi Kendall, wonderful analysis/ critique of current tech affordances for emerging writers (and I so appreciated your video presentation of the content). Your proposed app is fantastic and does not seem far-fetched to be created. The goal of the tool, “to assist spelling, using strategies students are learning so that they can write more independently” appears much more transferable and applicable than the current apps available. I personally have no idea how to go about creating an app… is this something you have looked into? Is there an avenue to have an app-creator design/build it? It would be very rewarding/ useful to turn your app idea into a functioning tool.