Stopping Cues- Mobile Technology to Manage Mobile Technologies

Many of the previous posts under the Mobile Culture category focus on the downsides of mobile technologies’ always-connected and immersive nature, such as reducing time spent processing sensory input or negatively affecting our mental health by comparing our lives to those we see presented on social media.

This TedTalk by psychologist Adam Alter suggests that many mobile technologies lack “stopping cues” or signals that indicate to our brains that an activity is complete or a transition is necessary. With the endless nature of available digital content or the connectivity of the workplace through mediums such as video conferencing or email, habitual usage can eat into what Alter calls the “white space” or our personal time where we evaluate what is meaningful and makes us individuals.

But could the answer to maintaining a healthy balance of connectivity and personal independence be enabled through more mobile device usage? Children often have screen time access limited by parents, but what regulates this access for us as adults? Applications, such as AntiSocial, monitor/track your mobile device usage, implement limits to usage, and quantify your usage for review. By having these limits implemented and attention is drawn to what has become unconscious behaviours, users may be more likely to critically review what they use their mobile devices for and refine their usage habits. A feature that I appreciated about AntiSocial compared to other usage monitoring apps was the ability to compare your rates to other users, enabling that connectivity that is craved while allowing for critical reflection.

Do technologies like this limit the potential for mobile technology integration/benefits or will these need to exist in symbiosis as the lines between our own thinking and mobile technology become increasingly obscured?

Alter, A. (April, 2017). Why our screens make us less happy. [Video]. TED. https://www.ted.com/talks/adam_alter_why_our_screens_make_us_less_happy/transcript?language=en

( Average Rating: 4.5 )

2 responses to “Stopping Cues- Mobile Technology to Manage Mobile Technologies”

1. Eduardo Rebagliati

Hi Braden. I almost did this week’s post based on this video and topic. Great to see you included it here. I thought it was very interesting how Adam Alter showed that screen time has increased dramatically over time and the connection he established between this and the absence of stopping cues in many popular apps. I think we could all relate to some time in our life being on the phone endlessly going from “next to next”, finding it difficult to stop. The idea of stopping cues is good, as it can be used as a time management strategy to ensure we also give attention to other aspects of our lives that matter for our well-being.

2. Maria Agop

Very interesting topic! I think we are reaching a point with technology where we are embracing transhumanism, and it’s inevitable. No one would like to have a limited time with an important and smart organ, especially egocentric human beings, and I believe humans would do their best to stay “smart” even when they’re sleeping. I think the solution here is to solve the problems that always-connected and immersive technology is causing. Mental illness is the biggest one here, but I trust humans to find a solution to this complicated issue.