A3: Everyday Eye-Tracking on Mobile Devices

Hi everyone. Every feel like your hands or wrists are getting tired or cramped from using your devices? This is my A3 assignment on everyday eye-tracking for mobile devices. Here is my Visme presentation.

https://my.visme.co/view/epgwz3qr-dz6517ywy9495k0w

12 responses to “A3: Everyday Eye-Tracking on Mobile Devices”

1. elizabeth

Thanks, Jackson, for introducing this novel idea (at least to me) of using eye movement to manage mobile devices. However, many neurologists have a lot of current research focused on tracking eye movement for reading, so using it for phones seems a logical next step. And since voice activation is already here, it probably will be sooner than later.

2. zheng xiong

Hi Jackson, It’s amazing that you managed to complete your forecast project way ahead of time. That’s great! I gained valuable insights from your project. Your presentation touched on the red-eye application in mobile devices. I wonder how red-eye-tracking affects mobile collaboration with other technologies. In the timeline of eye-tracking, you expressed that eye-tracking technology has been applied in clinical research to detect Parkinson’s disease and other movement disorders. I wonder what are the potential application in education, and what are the possible challenges. I’m hoping to see eye-tracking technology helping disabled learners. For instance, Stephen Hawking suffered from a fatal neurodegenerative disease which made him paralyzed for decades. If he were still alive, and able to benefit from eye-tracking technology, that might help him enormously. I’m picturing disabled kids using eye-tracking technology to learn and engage in online learning activities. Do you anticipate this happening soon in educational contexts?

3. Megan Ravenhill

Hi Jackson! What an interesting idea. We both formed ideas that used eyes as ‘screens’. I appreciate how you talking about OA and how this would benefit those already affected and for prevention. I think this piece of technology is capable for all learners and abilities, therefore, making it extremely inclusive. I am curious as to how much this technology would cost and who its target user would be. Thank you for the introduction to this idea.

1. JacksonLiang

Hi Megan, for daily use, prices nowadays should range from 1000 – $10,000. Technology is not at the point yet where eye-assisted devices can be mainstream. In fact, prices fluctuate across the board because of the level of public availability as well as its other functions (most eye-tracking can also come from VR technology). I imagine this would be for target users with fine and gross motor difficulties but perhaps in the future, it can be something anyone can use.

4. tamaka fisher

Jackson, it was very interesting to learn about how new eye-tracking can be used to operate mobile devices and will not repeat the comments already voiced by Braden, Sonia, and Aaron. Respectfully, I do not see much differentiation of your proposed operating system from what is already being developed.

5. Aaron Chan

Hi Jackson – this was an interesting deep dive into eye-tracking, and this could be beneficial from an accessibility standpoint. To play devil’s advocate, I’m somewhat skeptical in seeing the widespread adoption eye-tracking or its potential to replace our hands and thumbs. Since eye-tracking relies on the front-facing camera of device, it is not useful if a phone is in a pocket or even lying flat on a table (e.g. while washing dishes). How would one type a message?

1. JacksonLiang

Hi Aaron. That’s a great question. Eye-tracking could lend itself to using the keyboard (albeit a bit slow). However, I think one standpoint to consider is eye-tracking as one part of granting accessibility rather than the whole. For example, by integrating voice commands (such as talking while driving to send a message) with eye-tracking, many people with gross and fine motor difficulties can take advantage of both functions for it to work out!

1. tamaka fisher

Hi Jackson, I like the addition of voice commands to your app. That would make the app accessible to a wider range of students. Speech to text functionality could be a natural addition!

6. sonia virk

Jackson,
    This is an interesting topic and one that I honestly do not know much about so I was grateful to get insight on this. I think the thing that this is so beneficial for is accessibility for so many people. Last semester when I took the course on Ableism, I was exposed to a lot of ableist ideas and structures that are deeply embedded in everyday life. I think this type of technology could really help with that. I am wondering about how exactly this works as I am pretty new to this idea, do you have to be completely straight like a lot of AI to reap the benefits of all the features?

1. JacksonLiang

Hi Sonia,
      Great question! I think being direct is probably the best way to use this technology optimally. I imagine there would be shortcuts or specific word shortcuts to achieve certain things. Ableism is an important topic and I’m glad you also got the same message I did!

7. Braden Litt

Hi Jackson, I too was drawn to the appeal of an integrated eye-tracking technology that could be used daily. We already use our mobile devices a significant amount, so why not find a way to make our gaze more beneficial? I found it interesting that we were both drawn to different potentials of eye-tracking, with your exploration of accessibility and my focus being primarily on design/quantification. In my exploration, I started to have some concerns about the privacy of intricate biometric data and the need for significant security to protect this data before it could become feasible. Did you have any similar concerns or do you foresee any barriers to the integration of eye-tracking technology as you have forecasted it? Thanks for sharing!

1. JacksonLiang

Hi Braden! Yes I also noticed we had similar ideas. Privacy is such an important issue with technology. In regards to legislation to protect, I do think the legal system has a lot of catching up to do in terms of protecting people’s data. In retrospect, that would have been another important limitation to expand on.