A3: Using Technology to Assist in Physical Literacy

Here is a link to my Forecasting submission. I’ve also embedded the youtube video here as well.

Follow-up to video: A classmate pointed out that the video didn’t spend too much time diving into how the app would work. Here is a short paragraph adding a bit more detail:

I envisioned this movement tracking app as something that allows for teachers to sign classes up and create individual profiles for each student. The app would include access to specific workouts, that focused on specific skills (one video would focus on push-up technique, another on squat, jumping jacks, lunges etc.). Upon completing the workout, tips would be sent to students to help with specific areas of improvement that they may have. Teachers would also be able to see a spreadsheet that shares the various aspects of each exercise that are being focused on, and which students need to improve in which areas.

7 responses to “A3: Using Technology to Assist in Physical Literacy”

1. reoliver

Hi Jamie,

Thank you for sharing this! Last month I encountered a wheel-throwing, beginner student who was quite frustrated. She said, more than once, that she just couldn’t figure out what to do with her hands. She was unable to watch someone’s actions and replicate them, struggled with verbal cues and required ample personal space. Her physical literacy and strength awareness was low, and she had learned (somewhere along the way) that quitting was her only option. My example is a 45 year old woman (this time), but I have seen it in all ages and can’t help but see how this technology could help to give learners feedback from an early age about how to move their bodies for optimal success at any physical activity. I wish I had seen more info about your forcasted future, but truly appreciated the research being all up front. It was this presentation style that led me to immediately imagine what I would do with the tech.

Thank you for getting my creative juices flowing!

1. Douglas Millie

In these type of cases involving playing a musical instrument, I also find it difficult to get someone to recreate the correct movements. Add to that the fact that it is often hidden from view inside their mouths (for wind instruments.)

My conducting professor often would have students “ride” along by placing their hand on hers as she conducted. While this obviously requires trust to be established, it was an effective tool that I have used in other circumstances. Mirrors are also very effective, hence their extensive use in dance studios.

2. mstrome

Hi Jamie,
    Thanks for sharing your video presentation. I can tell you are passionate about physical activity and physical literacy. Having all teachers (not just Phys ed teachers) teach daily physical activity is quite the task! While I appreciate your idea and think it’s great, it only came at the very end, after a long introduction, my suggestion would be to start with your idea, and then explain further (but that’s just my opinion). Tracking movement in the classroom and providing individualized feedback to each student would be wonderful, especially for those students who do not have a lot of experience with certain movements. I’d love to learn more bout how the app actually works, would there be a noticiation or check mark if the student was doing the movement correctly?

1. Jamie Mayo

Hello,

Thanks for the suggestion, it’s funny, hindsight is 20/20, and upon rewatching the video, you’re absolutely right, I didn’t send very much time talking about the actual app. I think I got caught up in the research, as I think it’s an important aspect of this potential technology, and then didn’t leave myself enough time to really dig into the actual forecasted technology itself.

The way I envisioned it would be as an app that allows for teachers to sign classes up and create individual profiles for each student. The app would include access to specific workouts, that focused on specific skills (one video would focus on push-up technique, another on squat, jumping jacks, lunges etc.). Upon completing the workout, tips would be sent to students to help with specific areas of improvement that they may have. Teachers would also be able to see a spreadsheet that shares the various aspects of each exercise that are being focused on, and which students need to improve in which areas.

Thanks for pointing that out! Hope this adds some clarity!

-Jamie

1. mstrome

Hi Jamie,

Thanks for further explaining! That sounds really great – I could see sports teams (thinking of Spring Hockey here) paying a lot of money to have something like this assessing their players’ performance (shooting technique, velocity, etc).

3. Douglas Millie

Jamie, the thing that I like about this concept is that it would support trained Physical Education teachers as well. (I’m not one, though.)

In many aspects of formative and summative assessment, I think that we are always searching for ways to increase the objectiveness. This kind of system could also provide significant formative assessment and feedback for students. My experience is that many students lack the body awareness (myself included) to be able to make changes needed for form. A good example could be some of the different forms of push-ups that have wide hand spacing, no not that wide…. no too narrow, don’t flare out your elbows, not so close to your body! Being able to get objective feedback (to be taken with a grain of salt) might be game changing for many students.

4. vithu08

Hi Jamie, it was nice to see your guided video presentation, very mobile friendly! I am from Ontario and have memory of doing 10-15 minutes of physical activities in the morning as an entire school. Our Gym teacher would be on the PA system, instructing us to do certain exercises along with some pop music. Each teacher in the class would guide the students and we would perform the exercises as a class to start off the day. As a class of 20, my teacher was able to effectively guide us all by having us merely stand behind our desks but I can imagine how difficult it would be to guide and correct physical activity with larger classes.

I would have loved to learn more about the future of the human pose estimation meets physical literacy in your video which reminded me of an app I read about called AI Baduanjin (a martial arts form), which utilizes artificial intelligence to automatically detect Baduanjin moves and provide corresponding feedback to their users. (https://hongkong.alumni.columbia.edu/ai_baduanjin). A similar app but for groups of students would definitely be helpful for teachers who are facilitating the DPAs with no prior experience in physical literacy.