A3 – Reimagining K-12 Education in Ontario Francophone School Boards Post Pandemic

So many things have changed due to the Covid-19 pandemic. Education is no exception. I believe that Teachers, students, parents, schools, school boards and the government has learned a lot from the pas few months and it will change how we educate and teach. Technology and mobility has been experienced by our students and teachers like never before. There is an opportunity here, to do things better, differently, to move forward, given what we have learned. I took the opportunity of this assignment to create a storyboard that forecasts what education could be like after the pandemic in francophone school boards of Ontario. I’ve embedded the storyboard bellow, but here is a link to it on Canva. Most picture have an audio component that you can click to play and I have linked many resources in the text.

https://www.canva.com/design/DAEDRTyt-0Y/xa2W7cS1pptwV5LUA1ZVdw/view?utm_content=DAEDRTyt-0Y&utm_campaign=designshare&utm_medium=link&utm_source=sharebutton

( Average Rating: 3.5 )

2 responses to “A3 – Reimagining K-12 Education in Ontario Francophone School Boards Post Pandemic”

1. Mel

Véronique, this is a great A3 that is very practical and needed! I had no idea there were only 12 Francophone school boards in Ontario, and that they were so spread out. It seems there is a real need for the boards to work together in their pandemic response and to collaborate on cross-board classes. Congrats again on your new role, and I know you will make real impact in Ontario as an Education Officer!

As an aside, I love the Canva storyboard and how it’s an interactive document, and I’ll be looking into using this feature in the future.

2. Ceci Z.

Hi Veronique,

The topic you’ve chosen is such an important one at this time. Thank you for providing resources for educators to reflect and think critically on mobile and online teaching.

I like how you interpret video as a teacher’s superpower and a student’s superpower. I agree with you that “video is a motivator for students”. My daughter was in kindergarten, and their classes were fully online after spring break. The school sent an iPad home for each kindergartener, and it was on the iPad that the curriculum was delivered so successfully. My daughter enjoyed watching all the videos her teacher made for them, whether it was a science lesson, a music class or simply the teacher reading a chapter of a story book. She would watch it so many times and was so happy to see her teachers on the screen. When it comes to their weekly Zoom meeting, she was so thrilled to see her classmates. They use Seesaw as their e-Portfolio platform. I was so surprised to see her skillfully navigating on her iPad to draw, record and complete tasks given. Multiple studies have shown that video can be a highly effective educational tool (Brame, 2015). One of the reasons why “students opt for video for their productions” is that more and more low-tech, cost-effective, and user-friendly mechanisms are available for people to watch, create and share videos nowadays. We’re entering In an era of ubiquitous computing when the omnipresent smartphones, tablets and laptops become tools for video content to be accessed instantaneously, and videos are gradually replacing print text as a primary mode of communication. The preference over videos instead of texts can also be accounted for by the Cognitive Theory (Brame, 2015) and the Dual Coding Theory (Clark & Paivio, 1991). Another big takeaway from your project is that educators today need to be open to new technologies and keep reskilling and upskilling to stay current with technological advancements as you discussed in your 5G OER.

Thanks again for sharing your insights with us, and thank you for linking to our OER 🙂

Clark, J. M., & Paivio, A. (1991). Dual coding theory and education. Educational Psychology Review, 3(3), 149-210. doi:10.1007/BF01320076

Brame, C.J. (2015). Effective educational videos. Retrieved [todaysdate] from http://cft.vanderbilt.edu/guides-sub-pages/effective-educational-videos/.