Connection & reflection

It has been an enlightening and an informative journey about communication and development of text. Due to my experience as a literacy mentor, I felt extremely drawn towards the orality and literacy discussion and reading of this course that I can fully register.

I especially enjoyed reading about the historical record of text and about different forms of writing for example; cave painting and engraving, papyrus scrolls, manuscript etc. and more over I find it interesting to note that all these kind of text are produced by a special technology and this technology has always been changing and evolving over time.

During this course I was impressed how education and literacy promises and contributes to social progress and the rise of civilizations and how it empowers people with the knowledge and skills needed to use his or her voice effectively and with integrity.

It is interesting to note that with the evolution of technology, literacy is not limited to oral and print-based methods. In fact it has moved beyond to online, electronic texts and to multimedia. Computers and other electronic gadgets are bringing vast opportunities to reading, writing, sharing and collaboration. It is very promising to see that the Internet is not only bridging learners globally but more so it is helping in improving reading and writing skills.

Lastly, the core learning from this course is the importance of providing opportunities for students to access, create, manipulate, and engage with information in multiple formats. It is all about multi literacy.

One thought on “Connection & reflection

1. Fantastic reflection Mehdia! I love your final thought – it is all about being literate in multiple (dare I say “millions”) of ways!

I also like this statement of yours: “During this course I was impressed how education and literacy promises and contributes to social progress and the rise of civilizations and how it empowers people with the knowledge and skills needed to use his or her voice effectively and with integrity.” This is something I too took away from this course and love thinking of literacy as empowerment! It is why we need to empower all people to have access to literacy in order to be able to share their voice. This brings me back to JR – and his work with women/children in developing/war torn areas. (If you haven’t seen this TED talk, its well worth it when you have a sec! https://www.ted.com/talks/jr_one_year_of_turning_the_world_inside_out?language=en)

Looking forward to working with you in future classes! 🙂