Adventures with Moodle

by Deborah S ~ June 2nd, 2011. Filed under: Uncategorized.

I had an opportunity to play in the sandbox on the Moodle.org site.  I have never used Moodle before but have heard really good things about it.  I found the process to be fun and manageable.

Observations

I found navigating to be quite intuitive and getting from page to page was pretty painless.  I also liked the fact that the functions of the buttons appear in text when you hover over them (similar to Microsoft Office).  For a first-time user, this was very helpful as I didn’t have to memorize what each button did or continually refer to user documentation.

The process did not take that long once I figured out how things worked.  I was able to add a couple of activities, and played around with adding a YouTube video as well as a link to a URL.

What Worked Well

As mentioned above, the ease of navigation was a nice surprise.  I had an opportunity to set up some true/false questions under “assessment”.  I liked the fact that I could place text to appear when a student answered correctly or incorrectly.  The ability to get immediate feedback is something we’re trying to move toward in my board and this would be a great tool for accomplishing it.  In addition to giving students the correct answer when they answer incorrectly, I could also add some encouraging words to prompt them to continue.

I also liked the fact that I could hide or delete some blocks in order to customize the course.  I didn’t care for the layout of the main page when I loaded it up so I’m glad I have an option to customize it.

What Was Challenging

I have an idea about how I want my final project to look and was trying to play around in the sandbox to see if I could figure out how to get there.  I still have more investigating to do! 

Surprises

I was pleasantly surprised at the functionality that Moodle has.  I can bring in PowerPoint files, YouTube videos, link to URLs, set up RSS feeds, and have lots of choice regarding types of assessment.  It had more functionality than I was expecting.  I’m very excited about building my course site!

1 Response to Adventures with Moodle

1.   John Egan

Put your hand on your heart and repeat after me:

“I will not use Moodle to distribute Powerpoints, PDFs and Word files. I promise to create proper HTML pages that load within Moodle. I will ensure my learners can access the content directly online, though I may choose to add a PDF link for a downloadable version to read offline.”

Thank you! 🙂