Flexible Learning

I suck at MATH

I suck at MATH by nisha

When I was in sixth grade, Mr. Dogra, my math teacher, called me to the board when I continued to have trouble answering a question that he had put up. The problem had already been explained twice to the class. The question involved adding fractions, finding the common denominator, cross-multiplying each numerator, and adding them. Rather than ask me to see him after class, Mr. Dogra had me figure it out on the board with his help. Throughout the year, he used this approach, tailoring his input only to meet the needs of each student. His method proved effective. Math became my favourite subject.

When Mr. Dogra and I worked together on the problems in the classroom, I could not comprehend the significance of the moment until much later: It was more effective to walk through each step of the process than to provide the answer, it helped gain clarity and build links between equations. Struggling to solve a math problem is not a sign of failure but of learning, which ultimately sharpens one’s math skills.

_________   ______   ____   ___   __   _

Struggling to solve a Math problem is not a sign of failure but of LEARNING.

I had an excellent teacher at school and a mathematician father at home – and I became a math wonk.

We then moved to England, and my math progress slowed down as my knowledge broadened to include English literature, music, history of wars, etc. Meanwhile, my Indian counterparts moved way ahead of me during this period.

My Indian education had been interrupted for four years by the time I entered eleventh grade. Though I treasured my schooling in England, it did not adequately prepare me to transition into the eleventh grade. Mathematics was particularly challenging for me. In addition, I was losing the confidence that Mr. Dogra and other excellent teachers had nurtured in me.

Trigonometry and geometry were not my strong suits, and integration was beyond my comprehension. So while my classmates drew snake-like symbols and solved problems quickly, I felt stuck.

As soon as I said, “I can’t do this question,” it quickly turned into “I suck at Math.”

But before it became “I hate Math,” another teacher came to the rescue.

Ms. Upal was clearly aware of my difficulties when she spoke to me privately and asked why I hadn’t even tried to resolve the issue. For trying to solve the math problems, she offered me partial marks. “Just show me some calculations. They don’t have to be accurate,” she said. So I went home and tackled my math assignment while experiencing the anxiety and sinking heart feeling that I had become accustomed to during math sessions.

Over the next few weeks, as she handed me partial grades, I began spending more time on math assignments – It wasn’t easy – it took weeks before the knots of stress I had started to associate with math slowly disappeared.

My solutions were improving, and I was comprehending her explanations in class. During a class, at one point in her narration, she smiled and asked me what was next. While still smiling, she gave me some hints and encouraged me to take my time. Finally, she asked me to continue when I reached the next step. Decades later, I still remember the exchange. My mind was focused entirely on solving the math problem that I had completely forgotten that I wasn’t good at math. As a student of Ms. Upal, I learned that practice and confidence are crucial elements in improving a student’s math ability.

This learning environment had other vital elements, including the sense that the teacher was invested in your learning and cared enough to address your hurdles. Fear of failing and anxiety were my barriers to deliberate practice, and once they were gone, I felt more confident to spend more hours on the subject.

I learned that practice and confidence are vital ingredients for good learning.

When students say they’re not good at a subject, I remember my own experience and encourage them to do more. Once they start solving problems, they’ll also believe in themselves. Eventually, they’ll realize that their narrative is the actual hurdle in their learning. I remind my students that I was once in their shoes; It is possible to improve your math skills and extend your abilities with deliberate practice.

Story written by nisha

Be the first to leave a comment!