2.2 Coyote the Younger’s Innocent Stunt

Standard

“If Europeans were not from the land of the dead, or the sky, alternative explanations which were consistent with indigenous cosmologies quickly developed” (“First Contact”43). Robinson gives us one of those alternative explanations in his stories about how Coyote’s twin brother stole the “written document” and when he denied stealing the paper, he was “banished to a distant land across a large body of water” (9). We are going to return to this story, but for now – what is your first response to this story? In context with our course theme of investigating intersections where story and literature meet, what do you make of this stolen piece of paper? This is an open-ended question and you should feel free to explore your first thoughts.

First Impressions: The Paper

When I first read the story of the paper, I was immediately taken back to the UK. More specifically, going to university in the UK made me see just how inconvenient their fervent love of paperwork is. Nothing is real unless it goes through a group of third-party white collars with a rubber stamp. Work took 3 months to be handed back, and sometimes it would be marked by some person you’ve never even met. Sometimes, you couldn’t take the courses you need because it didn’t follow the Order of the Paper, and you certainly couldn’t drop courses because it’s already in ink.

I don’t know if this was just my school, but it was just a really weird experience. The fact that all my work were marked anonymously created a barrier between teacher and student. All the extraneous parties involved created a huge, impersonal gulf.

The Paper that Coyote the Younger stole signified a contract or even law. By coveting, prizing, and moving something so permanent as a legal document, Coyote the Younger has devalued anything that is mutable. Which is to say that everything can only be Black and White. Further, things can only have one side: the side most preferable to the party that possesses the white Paper.

“Although the Boasians had recorded hundreds of Aboriginal oral narratives, they had limited themselves to a single genre: the so-called “legends,” “folk-tales,” and myths set in prehistorical times” (Wickwire 22). In a way, this claim is a bit like the children of Coyote the Younger returning the Paper. There is a feeling of good intentions, but such an ignorance of Coyote the Elder’s culture that it seems to do more harm than good.

Paper is really one of the most powerful tools in our society. It allows a permanent record of events as told often by a single writer, reaching out to a readership of numbers. The ideas that the holder of the Paper gets to spread have huge impacts, but those without the Paper are left with ever-changing ideas that gets passed along, altering a little every time, to a small audience of willing listeners.

The Coyotes

The separation of the two Coyote brothers is a really interesting concept to consider. The fact that they were twins considers the notion that they are same on the surface, but different at heart. The general attitude between the Indian and the White Man seems to be that we are all human beings, yet They are so different, They cannot possibly be from the same stock as Us.

And yet, there is a familial bond too. In family, there is always forgiveness. Despite Coyote the Younger’s selfishness, Coyote the Elder seeks to make peace between the two. The story of the Black and White reveals a time when forgiveness and harmony is a real possibility if not for the English King’s insincerity.

However, the relationship between the descendents of the two brothers are not black and white. Like Robinson says in his stories, the Black and White was not a reflection of the law. Rather, it’s more of a reflection of the difference between the natives and the settlers. A quick crash course in US History will show how complicated the relationship really is.

The bottom line is: there can be no harmony between the two Coyotes. While the two different groups began as brothers, the deception and insincerity is passed on through generations. The queen’s promise to the Coyote’s children is locked up and set aside to make it as difficult as possible to achieve equality.

Strangely enough, I don’t read bitterness in Robinson’s story. Rather, there is sadness, helplessness, and resignation when he says, “That’s the way it was nowadays” (Wickwire 85). Perhaps if the Paper was available to all, and not held above our heads, we could form a mutually beneficial relationship with each other. Perhaps if we corrected Coyote the Younger’s mistake rather than trying to cover it up, we can all exist in harmony.

“Ass Coverage.” Mimi and Eunice. 24 June 2011. Web. 8 Feb. 2015.

“The Natives and the English – Crash Course US History #3.” YouTube. YouTube, 14 Feb. 2013. Web. 8 Feb. 2015

Paperwork. 2011. Mimi and Eunice. By Nina Paley.

“This Land Is Mine.” Vimeo. 1 Oct. 2012. Web. 8 Feb. 2015.

Robinson, Harry, and Wendy C. Wickwire.Living by Stories: A Journey of Landscape and Memory. Vancouver: Talon, 2005. Print.

2 thoughts on “2.2 Coyote the Younger’s Innocent Stunt

1. Caitlin Funk

Hi Florence,

Cool blog, and I really value your images and links – they’re really relevant to what you’re talking about 🙂

I’d like to touch on something that you said: “Paper is really one of the most powerful tools in our society.” I definitely agree, and I would take it even a step further, due to the conflicts fought over paper, or more specifically, words on a page. The Crusades were only Holy texts; World War I started because of a blank cheque of sorts; World War II began because of a lack of adhering to a contract. Even books have been burned due to their content. Still to this day, books are banned due to the words written on the page and the impact the authority believes it will have on the readers subjected to it. Do you think that oral stories can have the same effect? Gossip is a negative oral story that we (I hope as adults) try to avoid; angry words can cause a disturbance between people; and as we read in the Instructor’s lesson, the telling of stories was banned.

What do you think?

Caitlin

2. FlorenceNg

Hello Caitlin!

Thank you very much for your kind words! That is indeed a very, very curious thought. I suppose oral stories can be just as powerful depending on the speaker. Certainly if I run up to the parliament and yell, “Hey! Let me tell you a story about all the problems we are having and please do something about it,” they would probably make me shoo. The problem with our society now, I feel, is that it takes more than one voice to get anything done. Change.org sends me emails all the time, saying if I sign here I’ll contribute to something life changing, but the fact is they need thousands of listeners to make a dent in the system.

Maybe I’m being too pessimistic about this?! I definitely think there is power in orality too! One story can move thousands, but just like the paper, it takes so many steps to make a difference.

On a smaller scale, stories can also make or break a person, as in your example of gossip. It has the power to create self-fulfilling prophesies. But I don’t think paper is any less powerful, as, for example, your birth certificate can sometimes make or break a person depending on where you are. So I guess I don’t have a clear answer! Everyone is affected differently and we should all be careful of the power we have?

Thanks for the food for thought!

Florence