And that’s a wrap!

After countless meetings, endless research and hours of video editing, it’s hard to believe that the end of the semester is already here! COMM 296 has opened my mind and shown me that there is so much more to marketing than just advertising, and it is crucial in any business to achieving success.

I found the Marketing Plan assignments the most valuable as they were relevant to the course material, and allowed my group to practice and apply key course concepts and theories to an existing company.  All three assignments greatly emphasized the importance of teamwork.  All five of us together were able to thrive as a team by taking advantage of each of our individual strengths.

Assignment 1 broadened my perspective because I had not realized all the factors that affect a company’s marketing environment (CDSTEP).  With research not being my forte, this was a great opportunity to develop those skills.  I enjoyed the slight breather when Assignment 2 came along as it was shorter, and also allowed our group to be more creative when choosing how to position our company and which segment to target.

I remember the moment in class when Tamar introduced the Marketing Analysis video project to the class, and thinking that the next three weeks of my life were going to be an absolute nightmare!  Looking back, I would have much preferred an option to do a class presentation – something that would require the same amount of research and planning, without the added pressure of filming and editing a video.  Being a person with very little knowledge regarding technology and absolutely no video editing experience, this assignment definitely presented a challenge – but one that I was prepared to tackle. It was not an easy process, however with the hard work of all of my team members I believe that we will be rewarded with great results.

COMM 296 has opened my eyes to the depth of marketing, teaching me that there is so much more beneath the surface or face of a product that I would not have taken notice to before.

The Joke’s On You

On March 31st, my Facebook chat popped up on the bottom right corner of my screen and reads “Can you tell me if this is a joke? I’m too embarrassed to smell my screen.”

Well, it seems like Google did it again.  And they weren’t the only company to successfully play tricks on the gullible.  Large companies such as YouTube, Procter & Gamble and Boston Pizza took advantage of the day once used as an opportunity to put a whoopee cushion on your teacher’s chair as an advertising opportunity.  But is this worth the time and effort?

In my opinion, it is.  Although the idea of your computer being able to “emulate a particular scent” is unrealistic, admit it, it got your attention too.  It had you and all of your friends sharing videos, updating statuses and re-tweeting posts. Social media channels, news channels and blogs were all actively participating in the April Fools buzz that these brands had so cleverly created – and in turn enjoyed a great deal of global publicity.

Brands have learned that especially in the age of social media, consumers are constantly looking for new information and new ideas to entertain them.  Tricks like these convey a playful attitude, create a personal connection with consumers and raise brand awareness. Well thought-out stunts like these are a great tool to support brand identity and a brands marketing communication strategy.

Some more shenanigans, if you want another laugh…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc_iT1bSrJM

Sheer Madness!

Lauren Telford recently commented on the “compromising position” Lululemon is in after having to pull a large mass of its black Luon yoga pants from their shelves, as they were too see-through.  With a 7% share decline and their high-quality brand at stake they have clearly ran into a PR disaster!

Lauren presents two options that which Lululemon could consider: throwing 17% of all their women’s pants out, and offloading the product to a discount retailer like Winners.  I support her opinion that the first option may not be the best choice for the company, as they have branded themselves as being sustainable and environmentally friendly.  Throwing millions of dollars into a landfill would without a doubt tarnish their image.  Secondly, selling to discount retailers like Winners would undermine their high-quality lifestyle brand.

So how does the company restore their image? Lululemon has taken the first step by taking full responsibility for the mistake.  They have owned up and committed to making things right allowing customers to return/exchange the product if purchased after January 1st. In addition, they need to implement a plan of action. In the minds of consumers, Lululemon is associated with a promise of high quality and value especially with their higher prices compared to less expensive competitors.  If consumers or “yogis” are not assured that the right plans are being put in place to ensure this slip-up doesn’t happen again, Lululemon may see its profits going downward (dog) in the future.

Article Sources:

Lululemon Bends of Backwards After Yoga Pants Recall

It will vanish before you can say 1-2-3

Say what? Snapchat?

When I heard of the simple app that allows you to take photos and short videos and send them immediately to a friend for a limited time view, I thought it sounded absolutely ridiculous too.  However, I can attest to the simple app being highly amusing, distracting and strangely addictive.

Recently, 16 Handles – a New York frozen yogurt chain – observed many of its young customers using their Snapchat handles on social media channels, and turned this into a marketing opportunity.  They told their customers that if they snapped a picture of themselves or their friends at one of the 16 Handles locations trying one of the fro-yo flavours and sent it to Love16Handles on Snapchat, in return they would receive a coupon for anywhere from 16% to 100% off their purchase.  The catch is that you have only 10 seconds to let the cashier scan the coupon.  This provided 16 Handles with customer commitment to purchase and provided customers with an element of fun and surprise at the point-of-sale.

But, is this something that will change the face of marketing in the near future?  Every app or service that hits critical mass is definitely something marketers should consider taking advantage of.  It is soon to tell whether or not Snapchat will remain popular, however if done correctly with the proper rules set in place, business can benefit from leveraging this platform.

Here are a few of the many suggestions Andrew Solmssen shares on how marketers can creatively use this app:

1. Concerts: Fans can receive a Snapchat featuring their favourite artist backstage at a concert.
  2. Discounts: By modeling a strategy similar to 16 Handles, businesses can benefit from a guaranteed purchase before sending a discount code.
  3. Building buzz:  Fans can receive exclusive sneak previews for premiering films, books and TV shows.
  4. Insider marketing: An apparel line could “leak” images of their new line to a select group of influencers.

Article Sources:

Marketing With Snapchat: It’s Not Just For the Kids

Is Snapchat the Next Frontier for Marketers?

Super Bowl Sunday Marketing Takeaways

You probably think Super Bowl, and think football.  When I think Super Bowl, I think halftime show and advertisements. It is hard to fathom the amount of exposure numerous companies benefit from by taking part in an event that attracts 108 million viewers.  While Beyonce put on an excellent show, I was more excited to get online and see the buzz surrounding the multi-million dollar, high caliber advertisements. Take a look at one of my favourites:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2prAccclXs

There is no doubt that a great deal of thought, planning, and not to mention money goes into each advertisement. But how can a company ensure that their advertisement is effective?  Stephanie Vozza’s article on the Entrepreneur talks about 5 lessons companies, big or small, can takeaway from this past Sunday’s ads.

1. Have a call to action
  2. Be different
  3. Highlight your unique selling proposition
  4. Take advantage of every opportunity
  5. Use timely messaging

I think each of these is extremely important, but I wanted to focus on the first: a call to action.  The above Budweiser commercial has a story that resonates with viewers, pulling at their emotions.  It successfully connects with and involves the consumer – a tactic that is extremely effective in advertising, especially since companies are moving towards a consumer-focused mentality. Including consumer involvement by using its Twitter campaign (#clydesdales) to name a baby Clydesdale highlights the importance of the consumer being the key focus in all that the company does.  Coca-Cola, Pepsi, Audi and Toyota were a few among the many to successfully include consumer involvement at some level.  This tactic together with the other four, are important for any company to consider when creating an advertisement.

“Happy Meal” not a Healthy Meal

Child obesity and unhealthy eating habits is a pressing issue in today’s society.  Children’s diets that consist of high calorie counts, trans fats, and not enough fruits and vegetables are making them more susceptible to health risks at a young age.  Many factors can be named as a cause of children’s poor food choices, however there is an evident positive correlation between food marketing and the ever-increasing rates of unhealthy weight in children.

Children are bombarded with advertisements everyday on television and the radio, and even more so through apps, social media and the Internet with our progressive technological society.  However when did it become acceptable to use promotional characters to lure children into unhealthy eating habits that have such negative effects on their health?

A company known for enticing children using promotional characters and toys is McDonald’s.  In 1963, the multi-billion dollar company strategically introduced the famous Ronald McDonald into their marketing plan.  Anticipating the positive emotions children would associate with the company after creating such a character, the company was very quickly able to develop a large child customer base and brand loyalty.  Furthermore, since 1979 McDonald’s has included an attractive toy with every Happy Meal purchased.  Allow me to remind you that every Happy Meal “contains half a day’s worth of calories and saturated fat, along with nearly a day’s worth of sodium, and two days worth of sugar.”  Whether it’s a Spiderman figurine or a Hello Kitty watch, surely risking the health of young children is not worth it.  In recent years McDonald’s has promised to advertise meals to children that include apple dippers and milk in place of fries and soda.   Yet a recent study conducted by the Center for Science in Public Interest (CSPI) found that when Happy Meals are ordered, 93% of the time they are automatically given fries, and 78% of the time they are offered soda first.

It is undeniably unethical to direct this food marketing strategy towards young minds that are not yet capable of making good judgments; and as Michael F. Jacobson, the executive director of CSPI said, “regardless of the nutritional quality of what’s being sold, the practice of tempting kids with toys is inherently deceptive.”

Article Sources:

McDonald’s Faces Possible Lawsuit Over Fast-Food Marketing to Kids

Tell McDonald’s: Stop Using Toys to Market Junk Food to Kids