D.Phil. Oxford University, 1993
Department of Engineering Science
Thesis: Mathematical modelling of an aluminium spray process.
Adviser: Dr Oliver Jacobs
M.Sc. Oxford University, 1990
Mathematical Modelling and Numerical Analysis
Thesis: The stability of parallel flow of a generalised Bingham fluid.
Adviser: Dr Ian Sobey
B.Sc. Mathematics, Cardiff University, Wales, 1989
University of British Columbia, Director, Mathematical and Computational Engineering, 2017 – 2019
University of British Columbia, Professor, 2008 –
FAST, University Paris Sud, Visiting Professor, 2015/16
University of Canterbury, Christchurch, Erskine Fellow, 2015
IFP Energies Nouvelles, Visiting Professor, 2013/14
University of British Columbia, Associate Professor, 2003 – 2008
Institut Français du Pétrole, Department of Mechanics, Visiting Professor, 2005/6
University of British Columbia, 2000 – 2003
Schlumberger Oilfield Services, Clamart, France, Research Engineer, 1997 – 2000
Schlumberger Oilfield Services, Cambridge, UK, Research Scientist, 1995 – 1996
Johannes Kepler Universität, Linz, Austria, Industrial Mathematics Dept., Postdoc, 1993 – 1995 (Adviser: Pr. Heinz Engl)
Alcan International, Banbury, UK, Research Engineer, 1990 – 1993
- Journal of non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics: Co-Editor-in-Chief, 2016- present; Editorial board, 2009- present
- Journal of Engineering Mathematics: Executive Associate Editor, 2008- present
- Rheologica Acta: Editorial board, 2018- present
- Meccanica: Executive Associate Editor, 2013-2019
- Science Talks: Editorial board & section editor, 2021-present
- Advances in Mechanical Engineering: Editorial board, 2008- 2014
- Guest Editor for special issue of Journal of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics, 2006-2007
- Guest Editor for special issue of Journal of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics, 2008-2009
- Guest Editor for special issue of Journal of Engineering Mathematics, 2009-2010
- Co-editor for the Proceedings of the AMMCS-CAIMS 2015 congress, held 7-12 June 2015, Waterloo, Canada. Published by Springer in 2016
Membership in Professional Societies
- Canadian Society of Rheology: President, Vice-President
- Canadian Applied & Industrial Mathematics Society: President, President Elect, Past President, Member-at-large
- Society of Petroleum Engineers: Member
- Society of Rheology: Member and Fellow
- Nordic Rheology Society
- Fellow of the Society of Rheology, 2019
- Killam Research Prize, UBC, 2019
- Society of Petroleum Engineers, Regional Drilling Engineering Award (Canada), 2020
- Organising committee for the 4th Graduate Industrial Mathematical Modelling Camp, University of Victoria, June 11-15, 2001.
- Organising committee for the 5th Industrial Problem Solving Workshop, University of Washington, June 18-22, 2001.
- Member and co-chair of the organising committee for the 5th Graduate Industrial Mathematical Modelling Camp, held at Simon Fraser University, May, 2002.
- Member and co-chair of the organising committee for the 6th Industrial Problem Solving Workshop, held at UBC, May, 2002.
- Member of advisory committee for the 8th Industrial Problem Solving Workshop, held at UBC, May, 2004.
- Co-organiser of meeting “Visco-plastic fluids, from theory to application I”, Banff, October 2005.
- Symposium co-organizer, “Viscoplasticity and Viscoelasticity of Solids and Semi-Solids”, Society of Rheology annual meeting, Vancouver October 2005.
- Co-organiser of minisymposium “Mathematical Modelling and Numerical Simulation of Flow of Complex Fluids” at CAIMS 2007, Banff, 20-24 May 2007.
- Co-organiser of “Visco-plastic Fluids, from Theory to Application II”, at Monte Verita, Switzerland, October, 2007.
- Chair of the local organising committee for the CAIMS/PIMS thematic programme in applied mathematics 2011.
- Member of the scientific committee for CAIMS 2009, University of Western Ontario, June 2009.
- Member of the Scientific Committee for the 5th Annual European Rheology Conference, to be held in Cardiff 15-17; Session co-chair for viscoplasticity and solids rheology.
- Member of the technical committee and session co-chair for “Viscoplasticity and semi-solids” at the Society of Rheology meeting in Madison, WI in October 2009.
- Co-organiser of “Visco-plastic Fluids, from Theory to Application III”, at Limassol, Cyprus, November, 2009.
- Co-organiser of the 19th Canadian Symposium on Fluid Dynamics (CSFD), held in St. John’s, Nfld, July 2010.
- Technical Track Chair for fluid mechanics for the 2011 Canadian Congress of Applied Mechanics (CANCAM), Vancouver June 2011.
- Co-organiser of “Complex fluids and flows in industry and nature”, Vancouver, July 2011.
- Organising committee for “Visco-plastic Fluids, from Theory to Application IV”, at Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, November, 2011.
- Co-organiser of the 20th Canadian Symposium on Fluid Dynamics (CSFD), held in Toronto, June 2012.
- Member of the scientific committee for the 2013 Annual Meeting of the Canadian Applied and Industrial Mathematics Society, Quebec City, June 2013.
- Co-organiser of the workshop: “Complex Fluids and Flows in Industry and Nature”, July 2013, Vancouver.
- Member of the technical committee and session co-chair for “Non-Newtonian fluids” at the Society of Rheology meeting in Montreal, in October 2013.
- Member of the scientific committee for “Visco-plastic Fluids, from Theory to Application V”, at Rueil Malmaison, France, November, 2013.
- Organizing committee for CAIMS-AMMCS 2015, Waterloo, June 2015.
- Co-organiser of meeting “Visco-plastic fluids, from theory to application VI”, Banff, October 2015.
- Member National Advisory Committee for ICTAM2016, (XXIVth ICTAM, 21-26 August 2016, Montreal, Canada).
- Co-chair for Thematic Session on Non-Newtonian and Complex Fluids at ICTAM 2016, (XXIVth ICTAM, 21-26 August 2016, Montreal, Canada).
- Co-chair for Symposium on non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics at ICR2016, (XVIIth International Congress on Rheology, Aug. 8 – 13, 2016, Kyoto, Japan).
- Scientific committee for AMMCS 2017, Waterloo, August 20-25 2017.
- Co-organizer for the workshops “Complex Fluids and Flows in Industry and Nature III” and “IWNMNNF 18”, Vancouver,,June 12-16 2017.
- Organizing committee for “Visco-plastic fluids, from theory to application VII”, Rotorua New Zealand, October 2017.
- Scientific committee for AMMCS 2019, held in Waterloo, August 18-23 2019.
- Technical committee for “Visco-plastic fluids, from theory to application VIII” 2019, held in Cambridge, UK, September 15-19 2019
- J. Engng. Math.
- J. Fluid Mech.
- J. Non-Newtonian Fluid Mech.
- J. Rheol.
- J. Comp. & Appl. Math.
- Int. J. Eng. Sci.
- Can J. Appl Math
- Phys of Fluids
- ASCE Journal of Mechanics
- International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer
- International Journal of Heat & Fluid Flow
- International Journal of Multiphase Flow
- Theoretical and Computational Fluid Dynamics
- Applied Mathematical Letters
- Comptes rendus de l’Academie des sciences – mechanics
- Mathematical Reviews
- J. Hydraulics
- J. Hydr. Eng.
- Mathematical Problems in Engineering
- Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research
- European Journal of Applied Mathematics
- Chemical Engineering Science
- SIAM J. Applied Math.
- Rheol. Acta
- J. Math. Imaging & Vision
- Int. J. Num. Meth. Eng.
- Computational Methods in Applied Mechanics Engineering
- Inverse Problems and Imaging
- Can. J. Chem. Eng.
- Advances in Mechanical Engineering
- Acta Meccanica
- Applied Mathematical Modelling
- J. Math. Fluid Mechanics
- Int. Comm. Heat Mass Transfer
- Physical Review Fluids
- Korea & Australia Rheology Journal
- Heat Transfer Engineering
- Proc. Ry. Soc. A
- Particulate Sci. Tech.
- Water Resource Research
- AICHE J
- J. Petr. Sci. Eng.
- US-Israel Binational Science Foundation
- South African National Research Foundation