Activity: Quest Atlantis

Task/Activity

Go to Quest Atlantis and explore the site and then download the game. Try playing it and take note of the following:

1. The ease of use of this game.
  2. What are the pros/cons of this educational game?
  3. Would you use this game as part of my future teaching? Explain why you would and why you would not?
  4. Share your thoughts with your classmates by replying to this post.

Authored by Karon Wong

10 Responses to Activity: Quest Atlantis

1. Ronna Hoglund says:

1. The ease of use of this game.
    Great written instructions but it was a little cumbersome to move with my laptop using directional arrows.
    Pro – It appears to elicit the learning style of the player by asking specific questions. It then matches the adventure to the player. However, the player is also given freedom of choice to choose their own adventure.
    Cons– It takes a long time to get into the adventure. The movements are a little awkward and slow. The game crashed on my computer.
    3. Would I use this game as part of my future teaching? Explain why you would and why you would not?
    No, I would not use this game as part of my teaching even if I taught grade school because of the tedious nature of walking (and even running!) through game. The developers did make an effort to speed up the game. For example, a quick route down the tower was provided by clicking on a lever. I was envisioning having to mundanely walk back down after having awkwardly meandered up. The graphics were okay but nothing compared to what a grade school aged child would likely be used to with their X-Box or Game Boy.

Ronna
    (Great work GBL Group!)

• karonw says:

Hi Ronna,

Thank you for taking the time to explore Quest Atlantis! From reading the cons in your post, do you think that this game’s response level (which seemed to be a bit slow) added frustration for you to explore and learn throughout the game? Did this frustration make you loose interest in continuing? One of the biggest challenges that educational games face is that it must be designed very well and of course incorporating the educational aspect that does not promote boredom and frustration so that it would keep the students’ motivational levels high. With today’s advanced 3D modelling and graphics, I do agree with you that the graphics in this game does require some upgrading in order to attract children.

Karon

• Ronna Hoglund says:

Hi Karon,
        I cannot honestly say whether it was frustration with the game or just simply my own personal time constraints that made me lose interest. I do agree with Marie-France that there appears to be sound pedagogy behind this game. So, if a teacher has ample time to devote to this game it might be worth reconsidering….

2. mariefrancehetu says:

Hello,

The ease of use of this game:
    I found the game easy to navigate, but the actions slow. For me it seemed fine, but I’m sure that kids used to the Xbox generation might be bothered by this. However, since this is an educational game, I’m not sure speed is really what will captivate students to go on a quest. I thought that these types of graphics and games would also best suit students in elementary up to early highschool grades perhaps, (9- 13) being an ideal age.
    What are the pros/cons of this educational game:
    The pros are that the games are really educational in nature and foster both social and ecological principles. Although graphics and action are perhaps not as sophisticated as games on an X-Box, I think the games\scenarios are both entertaining and fun as well as educational.
    Cons: Most scenarios\games are structured around an American school curriculum, for Canadian schools this might not always be appropriate for the grade level or linked to their learning needs.
    3.Would you use this game as part of my future teaching?
    If I taught at the elementary level I certainly would use this game. I think however that it would need to be adapted to the Canadian school curriculum.
    I can really see how educational games of this type can be an integral part of a blended learning environment.

Marie-France

• karonw says:

Hi Marie-France,

Thanks for the feedback! Glad to hear that you would consider using educational games as part of your teaching if you taught elementary level. It takes a lot of time and effort for teachers to adapt educational games as part of their teaching because they will need to readjust their delivery methods in implementing it. However, with a well-designed game it would be beneficial for students, like what you said it can foster both their social and ecological principles. Furthermore, it can engage students in learning and promote higher critical thinking skills.

Karon

• mariefrancehetu says:

Hi Karon,

I also forgot to mention that I am impressed with the pedagogy behind Quest Atlantis. Journal articles have even been written concerning the QA pedagogy and games in an educational setting.
        I also find that a well organized and organic community of educators has been established around Quest Atlantis. Training sessions have been organized on Skype and online, an element I find indispensible when introducing a game to students, for often teachers plundge into an unknown world which may contribute to abandoning a gaming project.
        Teachers joining QA are also provided with a self-guided mission, which allows them to explore the gaming possibilities first-hand. Once ypu have decided on a ‘game’ or ‘scenario’ for your students you are also offered the opportunity and encouraged to team-up with another teacher and

You can get started right away exploring QA with our self-guided mission created especially for you. At the end of this mission, should you decide to proceed with your training so that you can enroll your students in the game, another email will be sent to place you in a facilitated PD workshop with a group of other teachers. ASsistance from the community also appears readily avalaible through a blog and a wiki space.

All in all this reasearch gaming project offers many opportunities for both student and teacher and is well organized.

Marie-France

3. karonw says:

Hi Marie-France,

These are excellent features and points that you have pointed out! QA have their game designed around having people learning within a community of practice. I find that when teachers are also actively engaged in QA with their students they will be able to identify what worked and what didn’t work and make further changes to their curriculum to suit their students’ needs.

Excellent comments from both you and Ronna!

Karon

4. lisamallen says:

In terms of ease, I thought this game was neat, but a little cumbersome to navigate around. The concept is admirable, but I think, if I were a teacher incorporating this into a lesson, It would take far too long to explain to the students.

What’s great about games like Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune is that they are very simple and students can pick them up really quickly, leaving less time for explanation and more time for the actual content.

While I do think that games have a place in education, personally, I think they are much more valuable in informal learning environments.

I could be way off base here (i’m an administrator, not a teacher), but those are just my initial reactions.

Cheers,
    Lisa

• karonw says:

Hi Lisa,

Thank you for your input, incorporating games into the curriculum/teaching plan can be challenging. However, I feel that gameplay will be able to promote discovery learning. Would you agree?

Karon

5. I’ve explored Quest Atlantis in the past and concluded then that it’s an educational option that removes much of the fun of gaming. For that reason I was looking forward to hearing others opinions. Perhaps it’s as Ronna suggests that “it takes a long time to get into the adventure.” If that’s the case I’m not sure that QA will hold the attention of students. It seems I’m not alone in puzzling over why educators would expect students to find this game appealing when they are accustomed to more sophisticated gaming options.