Weihao Lin

I am a second year student from China and major in human geography. Urban studies and urban geography are my interests as cities are sophisticated and contain all of the knowledge. The literature in the global South is a relatively new field. The term South should be a temporal concept and consider the role of history, which can be a possible site of epistemology. This research project can deepen and critique my existing knowledge of gentrification theories (read: Northern theories). How might the Southern cities’ contexts differ from the North? Whether the conventional neo-marxist lens could be applied in Mumbai and how the Mumbai municipal government removing the massive scale of slums with a proper manner?

In this project, I primarily write about the theme background and sort of the case study page. My finding indicates that the scale of gentrification has been expanded beyond the traditional inner-city. The South gentrification has been taking place in numerous non-tenure regimes, in our case, slum gentrification.