Time of the doves -motherhood and war

Wow! This book was so heartwrenching but amazing! the character-building and descriptions were truly encapsulating. Natalia’s life was so beautifully captured, and I felt so immersed in the story. I’ll admit at the beginning I was not into the book that much because of Quimet and how much I disliked him. I was upset at Natalia for marrying him, but it’s not really her fault because he was a literal manipulator and abuser. But one thing I really admired about this book was how complex the characters were. Each person is not entirely painted as good or bad, even Quimet. Each person is described as individually deep and complex in their own way. I think in this way it made the story even more relatable and able to capture the heart of the reader. I know it captured me!

Doves were definitely a key part of this story and highlight the start of the darkest point in Natlalia’s life. Even the nickname Quimet gives her the first time they meet, Colometa, meaning little dove. this is almost like a warning of foreshadowing what Quimet’s presence will bring her. It’s a starting juxtaposition, the meaning of doves being freedom and how much they “chained” Natalia to a life she hated. Her “time of the doves” was her lowest point, and a time where she found herself shrinking away, Natalia says, “I felt like they’d emptied me out of myself and filled me with something very strange. (pg 30)

I was confused about what the war/revolution was that was taking place. I am unsure about a lot of history, especially about war, and I felt kind of lost during this part. I thought it had something to do with the poor revolting against the rich, but the words “red” and “fascism” were used which pointed me to a more political answer. This war and the absence of Quimet triggered Natalia’s intense struggle and the saddest part is that she is so desperate she plans to kill her children and herself to spare them. I took this quote from the text because it hit home how desperate Nat was and how much her family meant to her. “If we had to die we’d die together”(pg 86). Also, the quote “With their ribs sticking out and their bodies all lined with bright blue veins, I decided to kill them.” (pg 70). This part made me very sad.

I actually didn’t think there would be a “happy” ending for Nat, but the grocer was her saving grace. With his help, she was able to have a home again, and food to eat and to feed her children. I cannot even begin to imagine how that would feel, especially for the kids, to go from starving and dying to suddenly having your own room and a new set of everything. But this book truly captured the human spirit.

My question for discussion today is about Nat and her kids – would you do anything different than Nat? Would you send Toni away to camp or even plan to do what Nat would do with the acid? What lengths would you go to protect your children?

6 thoughts on “Time of the doves -motherhood and war

1. Jon

“I was confused about what the war/revolution was that was taking place. I am unsure about a lot of history, especially about war, and I felt kind of lost during this part.”

Yes, I gotcha… we can talk about this next week, but in short this is the Spanish Civil War. Here, the Nationalists under (fascist) Francisco Franco rose up and eventually overthrew the Republican (Socialist) government. Things got more complicated in Barcelona, one of the last cities to fall, as there the anarch-syndicalists briefly took over, though there was also infighting with the Communists. It’s complicated!

2. Jialu Xu

Hi, Grace,

I believe that if I were in Nat’s shoes, I wouldn’t choose to kill the child, at least. Even though the future seemed hopeless at that time, I believe as a mother, one doesn’t have the right to decide the life or death of their child. Each of us should be responsible for our own lives, and while it’s understandable that in moments of extreme despair, one might consider drastic measures. However, if I brought my kids into the world, I wouldn’t easily decide their fate.

Jialu (Lucy) Xu

3. Kritika Singh

Hey Grace!
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I was also upset with Natalia on marrying Quimet because the way he treated her is just unacceptable. To be honest, I did not like this novel as much as I liked the others as Quimet’s behaviour really put me off.

4. Gaby Hdez

I was also initially put off by Quimet’s character and Natalia’s seemingly passive acceptance of her fate. But as the story went on I came to appreciate the other characters’ development and their strengths and flaws. I won’t say I forgive Quimet but I felt a little disappointed with the portrayal of his death, it was a bit underwhelming.

Personally, it’s hard to say definitively what I would do in Natalia’s shoes, but her decisions show the extreme desperation and hopelessness she felt. Sending Toni away to camp or contemplating using acid to spare her children from further suffering are decisions that ultimately came from her love for her kids and the severity of her situation. It opens up a discussion about parental love, sacrifice, and survival in the face of hardships.

5. Cici

Hi Grace,

Thank you for sharing these. Yes! What an interesting story. Doves are generally considered by the public as a symbol of peace and love. But, this book is full of life’s suffering and war. It also made me start thinking about Rodoreda’s intentions with the dove.

6. Katie Wong

Hi Grace! Thanks for your sharing your thoughts, I found them to be very insightful! In response to your question, I think I would send Toni away to camp so the whole family would benefit by having more resources and food. I would like to believe I wouldn’t try to kill my children, however, it is hard to put myself in the position of Natalia since I’ve never experienced anything like it. As outrageous and disturbing as it sounds, I think her idea of using the acid demonstrates how desperate she was to protect her children in a very contradicting way.