Culture Jamming Project Written Explanation Protein World Advertisement

by LucyBogle

In my alteration, I attempted to demonstrate the problematic exclusive and body shaming aspects of Protein World’s advertisement, without body shaming or excluding the advertisements original model. I attempted to create a Public Service Announcement inspired by intersectional feminism. I chose not to create an advertisement for a different company or a spoof of Protein World’s original advertisement, but a Public Service announcement as I believed this statement would be most effective as a form of resistance to body shaming in advertising.

In my jammed version of the advertisement, I attempted to include women and men of different body sizes and gender identities in a non-sexualizing and commodifying way in order to have broad representation and inclusivity. I hoped that through the inclusion of Rupaul Andre Charles, Danielle Brooks and a plus size male model for the company “Underbear”, I could demonstrate visually that every body is beach body ready.

My focus in this alteration was the relationship between text and meaning in Protein World’s original advertisement, as they work simultaneously together in order to influence women to engage with and in fitness and diet culture. I believe that through my deconstruction and culture jamming of Protein World’s original advertisement the original advertisements problematic aspects have been highlighted, however, I believe that my Public Service Announcement is in need of critique as well.

Although I was able to include people of different shapes, gender identities, and skin pigmentation, in the jammed version of the advertisement I did not touch include differently abled men or women or men or women of different religions. Furthermore, although I made the conscious decision to include Rupaul and Danielle Brooks as they are known in popular culture as advocates for body positivity, equality, and supporters of LGBTQ+ movement, by using celebrities and not regular people (such as Underbears model) my jammed version of the advertisement is not supporting grassroots movements and organizations.

Although through my jammed version of the advertisement I believe I was able to address many of the issues of the original advertisement and create a message of inclusion and resistance, I believe that hegemonic ideals are still embedded, and should be acknowledged.

Photo Sources:

“Photo From Classic- Foxy Lady Era.” Photo From Classic- Foxy Lady Era, MySpace, myspace.com/rupaulofficial/mixes/classic-foxy-lady-era-365838/photo/94312176.

“Orange is New Black’s Danielle Brooks aka Taystee got voted People Magazine’s one of the “Worlds Most Beautiful” women”.” Https://Twitter.com/Moorinformation/Status/877329433614458880, People Magazine, twitter.com/moorinformation/status/877329433614458880.

“Underbear.” Underbear, UnderBear, www.underbear.com/shop/underbear-smooth-package-swim-brief-black/.