Recent Posts

The Lure of the Game

This week’s module focused on gaming. The challenge was to try gaming in two selected online educational games. The conversations in the discussion forums connected to personal gaming experiences, gaming history, the highs and lows of gaming and how it all connects to educational endeavours. As I sit here and write this reflection my son has returned home from college and I am immersed in the fun of the game – Little Big Planet 2 – to be exact. Four participants, four controllers, and I am viewing a dizzying journey through the intricacies of the game. I have admitted I am a ‘fringe’ gamer. I enjoy the thrill through the actions of others.

How does this all connect to my work in learning about technology supported learning environments? This week’s readings and video links introduced me to the ideas by James Paul Gee. Game culture as a semiotic domain allowed me to think differently about literacy. Literacy, according to Gee, is based on recognizing and producing meaning in a particular domain. Being print literate is no longer sufficient. Being literate in one semiotic domain, such as gaming, may provide perspectives on literacy in other domains. Gaming and the culture around game playing gives meaning to many students who may be unconnected or not engaged. By bringing that game conversation and literacy into the classroom we can build the connections with them and link their learning to other areas that may be less interesting or more challenging.

The question remains. Is game playing a waste of time? If so, how does this impact on game playing in educational settings? It’s fun but is it educational? My experiences with Little Big Planet shows educational value in collaboration, problem solving, communication and creativity. I’m not sure these would translate to curricular expectations but who cares when there is yet another costume change to be made, another level to be played and new levels to create.