Here’s what I think of that:

This blog post is in response to the following question:

“If Europeans were not from the land of the dead, or the sky, alternative explanations which were consistent with indigenous cosmologies quickly developed” (“First Contact” 43). Robinson gives us one of those alternative explanations in his stories about how Coyote’s twin brother stole the ‘written document’ and when he denied stealing the paper, he was ‘banished to a distant land across a large body of water’ (9). We are going to return to this story, but for now – what is your first response to this story? In context with our course theme of investigating intersections where story and literature meet, what do you make of this stolen piece of paper? This is an open-ended question and you should feel free to explore your first thoughts.”

I was intrigued by this prompt, because the written document seemed very mysterious to me. My first thought was:

A written document? Weren’t the indigenous people who created this story an oral culture? How, then – or when – did they come up with this?

…Yes,  that is what I thought. I am embarrassed to admit it, but I present it to you as evidence that people often need to be exposed to an idea several times before it sinks in and becomes a part of their worldview. These questions came up for me despite the fact that we have just studied that there is no such thing as a fully oral or written culture. Thankfully, being asked to write about my first thoughts gave me the opportunity to recognize and dismiss my confusion.

Second I noticed that this story reminded me of the one about Cain and Abel (the first children of Adam and Eve) from the Bible. The story about those brothers originated in Mesopotamia, and it tells about how Cain was put “under a curse” after he killed his brother Abel out of jealousy (New International Version, Gen. 4.8-11). God made him “a restless wanderer on the Earth” (Gen. 4.12) and “Cain went out from the Lord’s presence and lived in the land of Nod, east of Eden” (Gen. 4.16). More than that, the indigenous creation story told by Robinson reminded me of the Judeo-Christian one itself, in which Adam and Eve are told not to eat a fruit in the garden of Eden (one that confers knowledge) and then are banished when they do (Gen. 3). Maybe the similarities between these three stories arose after missionaries communicated Biblical tales to the indigenous people? Or maybe all three of the stories reflect the same original truths?

It is interesting, as well, that the contents of the paper stolen by the younger twin were concealed by him when he returned from his banishment. This caused me to wonder if the paper contained information about whose descendants ought to live where on their homeland (and, therefore, about which regions and resources of North America ought to belong to who). This would explain why the greedy younger twin wanted the paper at the start. He may have wanted access to it not only to know what it said, but also potentially to change it. That would also explain why he didn’t want to reveal its contents in the end: it would have said that some of the land belonged to his elder brother’s (Coyote’s) descendants and that these areas were not able to be claimed by him and his own.

A second thing that I think the paper might have contained is a moral code. This thought occurred to me before I got to the part about the “Black and White” document that “outlined a set of codes by which the two groups were supposed to live and interact” (Robinson 10); and it seemed to me that the necessity of writing the Black and White document when the original written words were not being revealed increases the probability that it was something to the same effect.

In context with our course theme, however, it is also very interesting that the piece of written paper goes away with the ancestor of Europeans to a land where written literature becomes the dominant mode and that the elder twin, who stays in the Americas, produces a line of people whose culture was primarily (although not entirely) oral. In this sense, the written paper seems to carry with it the mode of written literature itself.

These were my first thoughts when I read Robinson’s creation story. I am curious to find out how they may change when we return to this piece later in this course!

Works Cited:

“Coyote.” Encyclopedia Mythica. 2015. Encyclopedia Mythica Online. 06 Feb. 2015 <http://www.pantheon.org/articles/c/coyote.html>

Lutz, John. “First Contact as a Spiritual Performance: Aboriginal — Non-Aboriginal Encounters on the North American West Coast.” Myth and Memory: Rethinking Stories of Indigenous-European Contact. Ed. Lutz. Vancouver: U of British Columbia P, 2007. 30-45. U of Victoria. Web. 5 Feb. 2015 <web.uvic.ca/vv/stolo/Lutz_spiritual.pdf>

New International Version. Colorado Springs: Biblica, 2011. BibleGateway.com. Web. 4 Feb. 2015 <https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=genesis+4&version=NIV>

Robinson, Harry. Living by Stories: A Journey of Landscape and Memory. Comp. and ed. Wendy Wickwire. Vancouver: Talonbooks, 2005. Print.

2 responses to “Here’s what I think of that:

1. Caitlin Funk

Hi Lauren,

Thanks for being so honest. I also am really struggling with not adding my previous understandings to the text. I’m also a very black/white person, so it’s difficult to see the different options and subjectivity that is available in these stories.

One thing that you said really stuck out to me: “A second thing that I think the paper might have contained is a moral code.” If it is a moral code, is it possible that they was put in place and is demanding to be heard before both brothers look at it? The code would say on it that they aren’t allowed to steal or lie, otherwise the older twin would not have the right to banish the other brother. But then if it does have a moral code, wouldn’t the younger brother want to adhere to it? Or is he inherently evil, as it seems white people are painted to be?

Cool thoughts – thanks for propelling me to think other things through 🙂
    Caitlin

2. LaurenHjalmarson

Hi Caitlin,

Thanks for your reply to my post! It’s nice to hear from another person who struggles with black and white thinking, as I know I do. It’s hard not to look at things as simply either here or there when dichotomy is “the elemental structure of Western society,” isn’t it (King 25)?

Unfortunately, I didn’t really understand your first question. It was a bit muddled grammatically, so I got a little lost. Do you think you could rephrase it?

As to the second question – SUCH a good one! I had simply accepted that the white twin was a little evil as I read this story, but now I’m questioning that. It does seem to paint Europeans as “the bad one(s)” in opposition to the innocent and noble older twin and his progeny. Maybe it’s trying to point out our vices, though, instead of saying that we are terrible altogether? It doesn’t seem to reference any vices of the older twin’s descendants, which makes it seem a bit unfair, but at the same time… does it need to do that in order to paint an honest picture of the way Europeans have represented themselves throughout history by their treatment of North American indigenous peoples?

King, Thomas. The Truth About Stories: A Native Narrative. Minneapolis: U of Minnesota, 2005. Print.