Creating a Video

by Heather Wik ~ July 5th, 2011. Filed under: Tool Kit.

Today I made a video of myself for the Moodle course I’m creating.  In my course I ask students to share an experience they have had with a child who has AD/HD.  I wanted to share one of my experiences with my students, and decided to do a video.  Having John post a video earlier in this course, it reminded me just how important seeing a real face is for students!

I don’t have a video camera, but decided to use my built in camera on my laptop to record my video.  I had to learn how to do that first, and quickly decided on using iMovie.  It took me longer than I expected to do the recordings.  I did separate clips for the intro, two main sections, and conclusion…..each of them many times!  The first time, I didn’t like the lighting.  So I adjusted that.  Then I didn’t like the angle of the camera.  Adjusted again.  Then there were the multitudes of outtakes.

Being a tad self-conscious, it was hard at first to even see myself on screen.  I am SO not a camera/video person!  I hide whenever an image capturing device presents itself.  But I do think my online students will really like being able to see me.  I have used nanogong before, just to get my voice recorded, and students response was overwhelmingly positive to that.  It really does help to establish better rapport.

iMovie makes adding title slides and transitions very simple.  I did have some trouble cropping images, but a quick iMovie tutorial fixed that.  Having uploaded a video to Youtube earlier in the course, doing the same with this one was a quick and easy process.

In the online courses I teach (college level), I think I may do my weekly News Forum greeting via video.  Each week I like to make contact with students, discuss a focus for the week, send reminders, or whatever.  Having personalized videos, especially early in the course when relationships are just being established, might really work well!

Here is a link to my forum where the video is posted:

My Experience With a Student With ADHD

1 Response to Creating a Video

1.   John Egan

Good stuff. BTW you don’t ever get used to seeing/hearing one’s self recorded. Ever. You just pretend to.

🙂