Apples and oranges…

This is a blog that I came across when I was trying to compare the US and Canadian mobile rates. I believe it was a fairly inaccurate comparison because…they just were not comparing it right!

The data provided some of the rates of the big names in America (AT&T, Verizon, Sprint) with small Canadian brands (Koodo, Mobilicity). The writer completely ignored the major companies like Bell and Rogers that run the Canadian market. These companies actually do charge a very high price on their rates.

The problems arise when “apple to apple” comparisons are not made. While comparing, it is important to compare two objects of the same nature or type. It is hard to compare big names with small ones because small companies will constantly try to grab a bigger chunk of the market, thus providing cheaper rates. That is not the case for bigger companies since they are already enjoying a bigger piece of the pie.

So the moral of the story is, comparing “apple to orange” is actually as wrong as it sounds.When comparing, it is important to compare things of the same nature.