Indigenous Futurisms

Wendy Red Star - Walks In the Dark - 2011

Wendy Red Star – Walks In the Dark – 2011

I had thought to begin this blog with a reflection of studying in #401F, and how that throughout the course I had come to realise how envisaging Indigenous Futurisms was integral to the act of studying Indigenous New Media itself.

It is true that in experiencing the pieces that we have this term, such as God’s Lake Narrows, Ashes on the Water and Isi-pîkiskwêwin-Ayapihkêsîsak , we have been paying homage and looking at artists and creators invested in making pieces that speak to mediums of futurism. However, I think to simply approach things from this way eclipses the fact that Indigenous Futurism is an act not tied to an academy or an intellectual ideal, but I think perhaps more powerfully a reality for Indigenous people across the globe.

We only have to look down to North Dakota now to see what the lived reality of living in a colonial society for Indigenous people often looks like. That is, to live in a society that systematically wants to erase and decimate Indigenous bodies and the inherited and unquestionable sovereignties that they represent. Because of this, I see Indigenous futurisms as less of an academic idea, or even a concept arising from a rejection of Western Science Fiction tropes (Cornum, online), but rather as an everyday act of existence and resistance. Indigenous futurisms is not just saying We Are Still Here, it is saying -We Will Always Be Here.

When I think of  what is at the core of Indigenous Futurisms I think I envisage less of a Wendy Red Star imagining, but rather a concept more deeply tied to praxis rather than theory, in Viewing Timetravller TM and Reading Leanne Simpson’s Land as Pedagogy, three main points stuck out to me in regards to Indigenous Futurisms:

~ The act of imagining a future as being integral to survival

~ The act of imaging a future as being intimately connected to past

~ Centralising Indigenous experiences and knowledges in a future world

Taking this as the starting point, then I think the possibilities of what Indigenous Futurisms could look like is infinite. Two examples that I came across when researching this blog and that really inspired me were Lou Catherine Cornum’s The Space NDN’s Star Map, and Wendy Red Star’s Thunder Up Above ( I named one of my character’s after her as she is so bad-ass!)

….

Timetravller TM treatment.

to start with: a personal note on Second Life….

So I did it, I tried it, I tried second life…

I got there, got gender-conforming avatar, proceeded to take off all its clothes (how?) and it’s hair (how!?) and get it stuck half in and half out of a wall (I don’t even know). If the medium is the message, then I think I can say with a great deal of confidence that I am not interested in that message. As someone who spends a fair amount of time creating things, I find it exceedingly frustrating to be have to create something only within the bounds of someone else’s creative rules. Please know that I tried this and gave it a fair go, but I was just physically unable to try and represent what I wanted to, which was pretty sad when trying to be creative and / or imaginative. Which is why very soon after my computer gave me the spinning wheel of death (technologies equivalent to giving the finger) I cut my losses and put it in the trash.

What actually is First Life though?

What actually is First Life though?

Act one: Karahkwenhawi and Hunter are expecting the birth of their first child, the two young parents to be are filled with joy at the thought of bringing this new life into the world. They have discovered that the glytching pair of glasses is also able to carry their wearer into the future, they decide to visit earth seven generations forward into the future in the tradition of trying to envisage a world seven generations forward / seven generations back.

The year is 2300, the Earth, so long trying to keep her children alive has caved to human greed and desire. She is now is a shell, a brittle labyrinth of dust and tunnels from which every last scrap of recourse has been extracted. The only thing that moves amongst the rubble of what was our Earth are huge robotic like structures, born our of the detritus and junk of hundreds of centuries of objects made for destruction. These metal beings roam the earth, slowly smashing up what is left of the earth that was once known to us. Amongst them roam the unSettlers, hungry ghosts with nothing left to consume or eat… these pale creatures neither speak nor communicate in any way that people can understand, it is said that once they were human, but hundreds of years of greed and desire has cursed them, left them hollow and ghost-like – never filled but always wanting more. They drift across the Earth’s hollow surface, clustering in groups, and staring with their pale sightless eyes. The humans who have survived have moved into space – living on space stations and ships designed and created from salvaged technologies from the broken Earth.

15241754_564925310382551_4427168787219395883_n

Act two:  Karahkwenhawi are devastated at the state of the world that her future generations will inherit – suddenly out of the blue one of the metal beings appears and begins to smash up the area around Karahkwenhawi and Hunter, fleeing from danger they are picked up by a mysterious figure on a small space jet.

Act three: Taken back to the space Station, Karahkwenhawi and Hunter learn that their saviour is a fellow Mohawk, Wendy – who has not only saved them from danger – but created a whole space station that has recreated a beautiful earth-like environment.

She explains to them that the Mohawk people are still practicing sovereignty within space, and although they are now dislocated by one more step from their homelands, the strong worldviews and ontologies that have held hundreds of generations in survival are still powerful and alive. “Since our territories were first invaded, we have been constantly moved and removed from our homelands, this hasn’t made and never will make our sense of identity and knowledge of place any weaker… we know who we are are and we are still here.”

15219996_564925267049222_5961625297652763846_n

Act Four. Wendy shows Karahkwenhawi and Hunter the way the people at the station are preserving and protecting their animal and plant brothers and sisters and shows them her plan to begin reconstructing the ecologies and human/non-human kinship networks of earth using the use of technology created from salvaged materials, and the wisdom passed down to her from her ancestors.

As it is time for them to leave, Karahkwenhawi notices Wendy wearing a thin necklace around her throat which she recognises as one she has beaded herself. When she asks Wendy about it Wendy explains that it is a very important necklace to her, which has been passed down to her by her grandmother… Karahkwenhawi smiles quietly to herself, knowing that the future for her child will be bright.

15337613_564933003715115_2529786093779227785_n

….

Just on a beautiful closing note. When researching this blog, I found a Facebook page dedicated to Indigenous Futurisms. As I opened it up I read the top post, which had only been written a few hours before… It made me think (again) about what is happening down in North Dakota, but this time – rather than the struggle being eclipsed and defined by the violence that is happening to the water protectors down there, it was clear what was at the core of the #NoDPAL struggle. It read:

screen-shot-2016-11-27-at-6-52-22-pm

(https://www.facebook.com/groups/349927541693986/permalink/1305479762805421/)

References:

Lou Catherine Cornum – The Space NDN’s Star Map, 2015, (online).

Leanne Betasamosake Simpson “Land as Pedagogy: Nishnaabeg intelligence and rebellious transformation”, Decolonisation: Indignity, Education and Society, 3:3, 2014

Skawennati, Timetraveller TM, http://www.timetravellertm.com/

With Gratitude to Wendy Red Star http://www.wendyredstar.com/

I watch as the screen begins to load, the familiar percentage mark rising quickly from zero to one-hundred, positioning me in the safety of the media world. I know the rules here, I know this “territory”. Behind the rising numbers the shape of Canada appears, across the country dots begin to blossom, spreading out across the land at the same rate of the rising numbers – this is different, this is unusual. I look for my temporary “home”, this strange place where I am staying, where I feel connected to, yet where I feel disconnected from: alien, visitor, coloniser – “Vancouver – Beautiful British Columbia”. The dots rise and rise, marking out the land with the positions of the reservations, marking out the spread of colonisation as it marched its way North, until the cold and “wilderness” stopped its progress (or the legal definition of “Indian” divided policy  on Indigenous bodies between the south and the north). Then till now, zero till one-hundred percent… The map of Canada holds for a second, allocated spaces glistening green and glowing: this map doesn’t simply tell the locations of reserves, but the movement of legalised control of land by the coloniser – yet at the same time it still resists this. Watching the map glimmering green on the black background I think “this is all 100% Aboriginal land”.

screen-shot-2016-10-26-at-11-01-59-am

In her article “Vancouver’s  Aboriginal Media World” in Sovereign Screens: Aboriginal Media on the Canadian West Coast, Kristen Dowell defines Aboriginal screen sovereignty as “speaking back to the legacy of misrepresentation in dominant media is the act of cultural autonomy that reclaims the screen to tell Aboriginal Stories from Aboriginal perspectives” (Dowell, 2013, 2). She locates this, not simply through the engagement with Indigenous content or issues, but through the act of production itself, situating the repossession of media space (used so long as a colonising tool in the national myth-making agenda of colonising nations) as an act that transcends the final media result, but is enacted through the physical and conceptual journey of production.

Kevin Lee Burton’s piece “God’s Lake Narrows” speaks directly back to that history of visual and media colonisation of Indigenous bodies, stories and spaces. Burton inverts the idea of the Indian Reservation as depicted in the media by explaining his own relationship to his reserve at Gods’ Lake Narrows. Throughout this piece, Burton again and again disrupts the narrative of what a reserve or reserve life is seen to be by an outside audience, he points out  that “… the closest reserve to Vancouver is 3.8 km. If you’re not an Indian, you’ve probably never been there” (Burton, 2011). From the very beginning Burton opens up and problematises the stereotypes associated with reserves and the people that call them home.

Burton moves his viewer from the map and his opening challenge that most (non-Indigenous) viewers have little or no understanding or lived experience of a reserve, into his exploration of the “reserve aesthetic” (Burton, 2011). Here Burton intersperses images of reserve houses with written words, disrupting the “view” of a reserve that a non-Indigenous visitor may have passing through by car, or glimpsed on the news. The reserve aesthetic is a language, if you can’t read it, you won’t understand it, Burton argues “if you’re from a reserve, houses can tell you certain things. You know this person sacrificed his income for his Four-Wheeler and you know why his porch door is worn and torn. If you’re not from a reserve all the houses may look the same to you” (Burton 2011). By showing the images of the outsides of the reservation houses, Burton re-appropriates the symbols used on countless news reports and newspaper articles, and problematises the single story of “poverty” that they have come to represent.

This idea is driven home (quite literally) in the second part of God’s Lake Narrows where the space of the piece moves from the outside of the houses to the interior. Suddenly the soundscape changes, no longer is it the crunching of snow or the crackling of the two-way radio (a soundscape that has already begun to disrupt the depiction of reservation houses as static or silent) and into a softer warmer place. With the guitar in the background the viewer moves through the interiors of the houses. There is nothing voyeuristic about this. Burton forces the viewer to be confronted by the houses inhabitants, who gaze steadily back at the viewer, resisting being read only as passive objects caught by the camera. Suddenly, by seeing the houses interiors and the people who call them home, the viewer is forced to look beyond the facade of the “reservation aesthetic” and into these spaces as places of family, connection and ultimately home.

I spend a lot of time staring at the picture of the young mother holding her child. I know that look, that fierce, brave, terrified young mother look – I have seen it countless times on my own sister’s face… I look at stick-and-poke tattoos on her arm in Cree, her partner playing guitar in the background. I have only been in Canada for a couple of months, and have never set foot in a reserve house but I know that scene so well – it could be something out of my own life back at home in Australia. And yet, all of these pictures resist captioning, Burton gives the viewer no explanation and no possibility of knowing his relationship to the people in the photographs, or even who they are.

Looking though these I am confronted by my own privilege that underpins my right to “know”. Who is this mother, what is her name? I’m not given anything except the image, the unflinching gaze of the sitter and I am deserving of nothing more. Burton again disrupts the unearned privilege that the coloniser who feel entitled to knowledge or understanding in relation to Indigenous peoples and stories. Looking through these images I can’t help but think of a National Geographic magazine that I found once, which also had a big expose on the Pine Ridge Reservation in Dakota. I think about those images, beautiful yes, but images that tell one particular story. The photographer’s name was Aaron Huey, and although there is no doubt that telling and showing the stories of the Lakota Sioux has become his life passion, I wonder what the politics are of a white guy (even a white-guy aware of his privilege) capturing these stories and sharing them on a platform like National Geographic (perhaps North-America’s biggest manifestation of the Western Right to Know).

This right to know and entitlement to knowledge ties in directly with one of Dowell’s concepts in her article. Dowell argues that all Indigenous media production comes first and for most from community and for community, “When and Aboriginal director is behind the camera, his or her tribal community and an Aboriginal audience are often configured as the primary audience” (Dowell, 3). In this way, Burton has created a piece that, although resits unearned “knowledge” or “understanding” for a non-Indigenous audience, will have a very different reading for someone who has grown up on a reserve or for someone associated with God’s Lake Narrows itself,  for whom the the sitters in the portraits may be neighbours, friends or family.

By creating a piece like God’s Lake Narrows, Burton has inverted the settler right to know, but also, and more importantly asserted his own right to screen sovereignty, taking back Indigenous images, stories and depictions into his own hands and the hands of his own community as a way of speaking back to the legacy of colonisation that goes hand in hand with media production. Through the outside / inside binary Burton subverts stereotypes associated with Indigenous lives and presents a new depiction of Indigenous realities both about, and for his own community.

Dowell, Kristen “Vancouver’s Aboriginal Media World”. Aboriginal Media on the Canadian West Coast. Nebraska: University of Nebraska Press, 2013. 1 – 20.

Burton, Kevin Lee “God’s Lake Narrows” http://godslake.nfb.ca/#/godslake

Well, shall we begin?

imgp4462

First of all I wanted to say, when I had first imagined this I had hoped it would look somewhat like The Nib, in my technicolour media fuelled dreams I imagined infinite white scrolling space and professional cartoons, but the lack of <<funding, tech-support, time, knowledge>> has left us with the somewhat less classy mixture of typing and dorky illustrations… but a lot of heart.

Seeing as we are talking about the medium being the message, it feels somewhat revolutionary and rebellious to be bringing the world of ink into the world of the internet… I started thinking about what this blog would look like as a comic after reading Scott McCloud’s ‘Understanding Comics‘… McCloud argues, unlike McLuhan that the medium should never be mistaken for the messenger (his whole argument however is hinged on the fact that he is promoting comics as a serious medium that shouldn’t just be thought about in terms of Batman and Robin whisking around in tights…)

Mind you, McCloud doesn’t entirely avoid the McLuhan vortex by navigating his whole academic career as a speccy ink drawing yakking on about comics… the messenger literally becoming the media! (That’s Scott below btw).

imgp4487

To begin with I was somewhat sceptical about what McLuhan had to offer…

imgp4457

Even though I had to concede that what he was writing about was quite revolutionary …

imgp4463

I began to wonder how much of the fabric of my identity, the way I exist in the world was made up by and connected to the media around me…

I remember trying to explain to my parents once about what it was like to grow up in a world where you could remember watching 9/11 happening on your TV screen, how profoundly that changes your outlook, the way you navigate the world.

imgp4494

Where revolutions begin with text-messages and hashtags…

imgp4464imgp4467imgp4472

And oppressors’ actions can no longer remain invisible.

imgp4478

McLuhan does much to predict the connectedness of our world, and how much of this is not simply formed or shaped by, but actually a product of the medium.

On page 24 McLuhan writes a statement that is both extremely applicable to 401F, but also problematic in terms of discussing this issues that come up in First Nations Studies.

imgp4468

In this paragraph, McLuhan at once opens up a world of connection and responsibility; a reflection of campaigns, protests and revolutions such as the Arab Spring, #BlackLivesMatter and #NODAPL…

Although he spends some time discussing ‘The Age of Anxiety”, this is attributed to the disconnect between new ways of doing and old ways of being… rather than the political apathy that comes from hyper connectedness…

imgp4469

Perhaps even more problematic is McLuhan’s failure to expand his theory to be inclusive or open… Although he analyses the “idea” of “The Others”… he does very little to address the experiences and/or lived realities of “Othered” lives and bodies, or treat them as holding an equally valuable or rich with precious inner life..

imgp4499

Something that continues both in image and text throughout the entire work..

imgp4491

McLuhan’s idea of “tribal man”, “evolving” into the more “developed” culture of reading/writing/technology and then back full circle into the Global Village carries with it some pretty harmful and heavy colonial baggage…

For example:

“Until writing was invented, men lived in acoustic space: boundless, directionless, horizonless, in the dark of the mind, in the world of emotion, by primordial intuition, by terror…”

McLuhan,  pg. 48, 1967

imgp4480

A somewhat problematic statement from someone who, although is trying to understand and begin to break down ways of knowing and ways of being,  is still ultimately trapped in a frame of Western ontological understanding…

imgp4476

McLuhan envisaged the media world as a sort of pure new Utopia… Of infinite connection and understanding…

imgp4493

But at the same time I also wonder if he could fully comprehend what was lost, not simply through the clash of old ideologies and new technologies, but by actual true connectedness of being in the world…

Media allows us to touch and be touched so infinitely, yet at what cost? Surely our most important lesson in “growing up” into a world of media that is new to all of us, is learning to live well in spaces that we create in both realities.

imgp4461

One thing is for sure, media has expanded our world further than I even think McLuhan could imagine.

imgp4466

Works Referenced:

McLuhan, Marshall and Quentin Fiore, The Medium is the Massage: An Inventory of Effects, Jerome Agel, 1967.

McCloud, Scott, Understanding Comics, Harper Perennial, 1994.

With apologies to Scott McCloud.