MappedIn

Standard

In the last COMM101 lab with Juan, he showed us an episode on Dragon’s Den – a popular reality tv series where entrepreneurs appeal to investors to kickstart their business. This reminded me of an episode of Dragon’s Den that I watched back in my highschool marketing class where two students, HongWei Liu and Desmond Choi developed an indoor navigation system. We discussed briefly in class about the hardest part of starting a business and the majority of the class said that thinking of a unique idea was the hardest part.

MappedIn-logo

This episode of Dragon’s Den was the “Students Special” episode and this company was one of the best that came out of the show. At the end of the video, Desmond and HongWei managed to partner up with three of the five dragons. However, when I did some research on the company, they actually rejected the partnership after the show and partnered with Esri Canada instead. Choosing the right partners is very important for a company as it will affect the future and success of the company. We learned in class about key partners in the business model canvas. Desmond and HongWei should also not get too comfortable with their current success and continue to innovate to stay ahead of their competitors.