Agostino: A Recount of the Experience of Growing Up With the Wrong Influences and Sexualizing Your Mother

Agostino was an interesting read to say the least… Although at first glance, the Freudian themes make it a bit of an uncomfortable read, once I turned my brain off to the perplexing sexualizations of Agostino’s mother I was able to appreciate the novella for what it was: an excruciatingly detailed recount of the experience of growing up and losing one’s innocence.

The first blaring theme that I think everyone reading noticed in this book was its themes about sexuality and more specifically, Agostino’s sexuality and how it related to his mother. Right out of the gate in the first few pages, Moravia showcases Agostino’s special relationship with his Mother. In my head, whether it is true or not, like to think that his affection for his Mother is spawned out of an innocent parental bond that he has formed as a result of his time spent with her without his father around. I think that the pride he feels in being around his Mother and kind of providing for her in a way shows his innocence and ignorance to how other people in the world like ourselves perceive his feelings. Although there are some descriptions of Agostino thinking of his mother in a sexual manner, at the beginning of the book he is sort of oblivious to what those feelings are and is just happy to be with his Mother and likes the attention that he gets from the other beach goers as a result of being around his Mother. I would like to think that at this point in the story, Agostino enjoys the affection of his Mother purely because she is his parent and kids tend to admire their parents. I think that this relationship is only turned sexual in Agostino’s mind when the other kids force him to see the sexual side of this relationship with his Mother, and it is sad to see him not be able to enjoy his Mother’s company after the fact.

In regard to the other boys that he meets in the story, I think that one of the biggest themes that is highlighted through them and his Mother is the need to belonging and needing a place to belong. From my observation, this story is one that is about Agostino’s search for a community. Once his Mother finds a lover, he is forced to find another place to go to feel at home which is where he finds the gang of boys. The gang of boys that he meets is abusive to say the least, and borderline psychopathic at most. It took me by surprise at how hostile all these boys were towards Agostino for absolutely no reason at all. If this was how mean boys were back in the day it’s no wonder why the fathers and grandfathers of today have so much repressed trauma… Social commentary aside, it is sad to see Agostino stumble through this transitional period with such predatory influences around him.  Although I can agree that friend groups of boys are always a little hostile in some ways whether it be through teasing or rough housing, I found that the extremes of bullying Agostino goes through is terrible, and it is sad to witness him be unable to acknowledge that the boys he is hanging around are manipulating and abusing him, and be unable to break free.

All in all, I think that Agostino speaks to a very personal experience of growing up and being jaded by the world around you. The Freudian themes were distracting to say the least, but in the ladder half of the book are kind of necessary to highlight Agostino’s disgust at the gross nature of sexuality that The Boys have introduced him to.  A very interesting read indeed!

My question for ya’ll: Have you ever found yourself wanting to belong so bad that you land yourself into an abusive or manipulative relationship?

-Jonathan

1. Although I agree with you that Agostino is immersed in an abusive relationship, part of the (terrible) learning he goes through is that he can also manipulate others at his convenience. This can be seen, for example, in the lie he tells when he asks his mother for money to “buy a book” when in reality Agostino was asking for it to go to the brothel. Agostino realizes that his mother is in a compromising situation and she cannot deny him what he asks for.

2. Hi Jonathan!

I really appreciate you taking the time to focus on how growing up with the wrong influences can affect us and obviously Agostino in the novel. I thought it was just me that had similar thoughts to you because although yes the book noticeably makes many of us uncomfortable right away, it could also be considered that Agostino didn’t always have objectifying sexual intent towards his mother. I also noticed and considered that maybe his perception of her in the beginning “were” genuine feelings of filial affection and it’s only later on that we realize how society (eg. the boys) can twist this and influence his perception.