Week 7- The time of the Doves

Posted by in RMST 202

“The Time of the Doves” was an interesting read. I feel as if it had many complexities and details and moved much faster than some of the other books. There was so much that was covered in this book. Throughout Natalia’s life, we see war, hardships, love, and resilience. I feel like we really got to see Natalia’s life up close.

The theme of love is evident in this book. Through Natalia’s romantic relationships with different men, particularly her husband Quimet. This relationship seems very complex. As it starts off very much young in love this relationship very quickly changes. As Natalia became dependent on Quimet he became very controlling. Natalia is increasingly dependent financially on Quimet, which does not leave her with many options. The dynamic shifted and we started to see traditional gender roles. With her submissive behavior and Quimet’s control. Furthermore, Quimet cheated on Natalia and they often experienced conflict. However, despite this, they had a connection. Through these relationships, we experienced love, but also betrayal, control, and lack of fulfillment. However, when he dies Natalia grieves his loss. This shows how you can grieve someone even if they are not a good person.

Another very crucial theme I think was resilience. Due to the Spanish Civil War Natalia experiences the hardships of that time. Despite having to deal with poverty, hunger, and problems in her relationships Natalia preserves and finds a way to survive. In this circumstance, Natalia does whatever she can to survive. She takes on many jobs to support herself and her family. She even sells whatever she can after Quimet’s death. Even emotionally Natalia is strong. Despite losing the people she loved, and the betrayals of her marriage she stays strong. She focuses on her children and the community. Natalia has an enduring spirit which is so clearly depicted in how she moves through these defeating circumstances.

Overall, throughout this book I found myself sympathizing for Natalia. She really goes through so much. She goes through a toxic marriage, becomes a single mother, and then really tired anything trying to survive. She lives through such a difficult period and it is expressed through her thoughts and feelings. Natalia yearns for freedom. I think this book was a very good read and I definitely enjoyed it.

My question for this week is how did you react when Natalia thinks about killing her children? Where do you think this was coming from?