Pedagogy

On this page I am going to include my teaching pedagogy and how I plan on taking my teaching philosophy and applying that to my classroom.

1) Making my class an open and respectful environment: the first day of class I am going to create a class list of rules that the student will abide by. We will make this list together so the students will know what is expected of them, and so I know what is expected of me. I am also going to make sure I hear from each of my students at least once a day, each student is going to get three buttons at the beginning of every class and when they want to raise a point in discussions or say something about a topic we are discussing they are going to give up a button. This will promote discussion and make sure each student has a fair chance to say what is on their mind.

2) Building a strong relationship with my students: I am going to be a very open teacher, I do not believe in hiding things from my students, if there is a question they have that I can answer, I am going to do my best to answer it. Also, during my practicum I had a food basket at the back of the class that the students could trade an item for an item if they didn’t like what was in their lunch. Or if they did not get an adequate lunch or breakfast they could go to the food basket and take a granola bar to hold themselves over. This way my students are not always worried about being hungry.

3) Helping my students engage critically with the material: Every teacher wants their class to be fun and engaging, but I am more concerned about helping my students acquire the skills they need to use in their higher education. The way I plan on doing this is bringing in a lot of different sources instead of just using the textbook to teach my curriculum. The students will have a lot of chances to argue in U-shaped debates and discussion groups, as well as engage with the material as much as possible. I am also going to try and bring in my student’s experiences to bring diversity to the classroom discussion.