Posted by: | 23rd Nov, 2011

“Please pay or we won’t fly”

Passengers traveling with Comtel Air were requested to pay extra fees or else they would not fly

When passengers travel by air, they expect to arrive to their desired locations quickly. However, recently,  Comtel Air delayed a flight carrying 180 passengers from India to Britain until they “[paid] 10,000 Indian rupees ($200) each – to cover the cost of fuel and airport fees.” Many passengers thought that this was unfair as they had paid for their tickets already and had to “go one by one outside, in Vienna, to get the cash out [if they didn’t have the money]” says Reena Rindi, a passenger traveling with Comtel Air. An explanation later indicated that the issue had arisen as a result of a “conflict between this recently formed airline and an independent British tour operator, Skyjet Travel” who sold tickets for Comtel.
I think that this is a major issue as Comtel Air is a business that is still expanding. This incident would lead to poor public image as it shows the unprofessionalism of the company since the flight crew had to inform the passengers about the issue on behalf of their company. Even though this issue is going to affect the company negatively, it also serves as an indicator to what the company is doing incorrectly. Therefore, Comtel would be able to take this as an opportunity to revise its business so that it would be able to minimize such issues, if not eliminate them, in the future.

Image from: http://images.ctv.ca/archives/CTVNews/img2/20111117/416_comtel_111117.jpg

Starbucks creates an app to help process customer purchases more quickly.

While reading several different blog posts the other day, I came across a blog post by fellow classmate Sienna Richardson-Isberg. Her post “The Convenience of Coffee”, talks about how Starbucks has been innovative and created a mobile app that would be helpful in servicing customers more quickly. This is definitely a great opportunity for Starbucks to make an advancement in their business because the creation of a mobile app which can make purchases more convenient for customers can be beneficial in the long run. However, after researching, the Starbucks app definitely still has room for improvement. For example, according to the news report posted at the bottom of this post, customers may feel uncomfortable with using this app because they are worried about the information that Starbucks is gaining from their use of the app. In the video, a user on MSNBC stated that “[i]f I had managed to fully register, Starbucks would know my birthday, my address and most important, when and where I buy my coffee.” I think Starbucks should look into this problem and take this feedback seriously as it could affect the way customers think of this new app.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZsjpFDon7s

Image from: http://vertexinteractive.com/2011/starbucks-mobile-payments/

Posted by: | 14th Nov, 2011

Mothers In the Work Environment

Recently, I came across a blog which discussed a topic that interested me. The author of the blog entry was arguing an issue that is important in the work environment: “Should being a stay-at-home mom be considered work experience?”  I found this interesting because I have always thought that the job of a mother is just as important as any other job, if not more important. Even though “the work environment for stay-at-home moms (or dads, for that matter) is different than for paid employment”, I still believe that the jobs in being a mother are greatly related to characteristics required for working in a paid employment as well. For example, according to the post, the author once met a mother who stated that she would make a great candidate for a job because she “needed great organizational skills to be a stay-at-home mom [and had] the ability to prioritize; she worked well under pressure, and she worked long hours with no pay.” I find this to be absolutely correct because mothers work under just as much pressure as any other employee in the workforce. What is so different about a job at home compared to a job in the office when the skills needed to take on different tasks are closely, if not exactly, the same? Even though the author states that “when it comes to the work world, having been called ‘mom’ for most of your career seems not to cut it”, I believe that mothers contribute greatly and are just as important in the workforce . Where would all the successful employees be without their mothers anyways?

Image from: http://www.123rf.com/photo_10427320_cartoon-of-busy-housewife-at-kitchen-sink.html

Posted by: | 10th Nov, 2011

WestJet

WestJet is considered an entrepreneurial company because it consists of four different characteristics which are distinguishable from a small business owner:

1) Amount of wealth creation
2) Speed of wealth creation
3) Risk
4) Innovation.

Founded in 1996 by Clive Biddoe, WestJet has risen quickly as a new company, thus successfully achieving a quick speed to wealth creation and created substantial wealth. Ever since its first flight, WestJet has grown from a fleet of three to an overall fleet of ninety six up to the present date. This speed is related to the amount of wealth creation as WestJet has stated that they have earned $2.2 billion CAD in passenger revenues up to 2009. In addition to WestJet’s ability to gain wealth quickly, risk and innovation assisted this swift growth as well. For example, the choice to fly only domestic routes is a risk taken by the company as domestic routes garner less revenue than international destinations. However, innovation techniques utilized by WestJet has been able to keep its customer satisfaction and public image positive. These techniques include participating in charitable activities and providing in flight service that is different from most airline companies. The willingness to take on risks and to continuously develop innovative ways of thinking have assisted the vast growth of WestJet as an entrepreneurial company throughout the years.

Image from: http://www.twoguysfromtoronto.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/283_profile_img1_westjet.jpg

Posted by: | 26th Oct, 2011

A Wave of Electrical Power

As technology continues to develop, many companies such as Wave Hub are trying to find ways to become more environmentally friendly and to find different ways to improve sustainability. According to an article written by Lee Mathews, “the ocean’s waves are now ready to provide power to more than 7,000 homes” in South West England.

Conversion devices that will generate electricity. (Photo credits to Wave Hub)

As the first “station” with this technology in England, the conversion devices from Wave Hub “will be able to push up to 20 megawatts of power to the country’s grid.” Afterwards, four different companies will assist in converting the energy into electricity. According to the article “[i]t’s expected to reduce carbon dioxide output by more than 24,000 tons annually.” Once the development of the technology has matured, it is predicted to be able to double the reduction of carbon dioxide output and to increase its overall capacity to 50 megawatts of energy. The development of this technology is expected to arrive in areas of Canada soon by major Canadian companies such as “SyncWave”, “Wave Energy Technologies”, and “Clean Current”.

I think this is an amazing advancement in technology and it is definitely a good way for companies to advance in sustainability. The eco-friendly energy generators will greatly aid in the reduction of carbon dioxide output and it will be helpful in the economy as it is expected to generate up to $30 billion in annual electrical sales.

Recently, I read an old article that talked about how undergarments help track the position of the recession. According to the article, because undergarments are hardly seen by others in comparison to clothes and pants, “they’re the first thing men stop buying when the economy tightens.” After the 12% decline in sales of undergarments, the economy requires an annual 2 – 3% sales growth in order to see the beginning of a recovery. However, there is no prediction for recovery until 2013. This may be true as a report on the stocks of Warnaco Group indicates that there has been a drop in stock levels lately. The article also notes that women’s undergarment sales have been going up. Does that mean that the recession is recovering? Unfortunately, the answer is no. According to the article, “denim and footwear sales remain sluggish, which suggests only stabilization, not recovery.”
I found this article particularly interesting because it makes me wonder if this study can be noticed worldwide within different cultures or only in certain economies. This article showed me that even sales for the most common items can assist in an indication of a recession or recovery in economies.

Image from: http://uploads.static.vosizneias.com/2010/05/res41.png

Posted by: | 19th Oct, 2011

iMessage: iThreat to Wireless Carriers

Apple takes text messaging to another level with 'iMessage'

The times when wireless carriers have been able to charge customers for sending and receiving text messages are soon coming to an end. With the introduction of ‘iMessage’ from Apple, why pay that extra 20 cents to send or receive a text message? According to the article: “[m]ore than two trillion text messages are sent each year in the United States, generating more than $20 billion in revenue for the wireless industry.” However, with the introduction of substitutes to text messaging, many wireless carriers have begun to raise their text messaging plan prices in order to prevent a major decline in revenue.
Not only Apple, but other methods such as Blackberry messaging, Skype, and Whatsapp have become popular amongst the new generation who are searching for alternative and cheaper methods of contacting others. Even though some of these methods may require a data plan if no wi-fi is provided, “a $25-a-month, two-gigabyte data plan” is enough to cover the costs of up to “$1,500 to send a megabyte of text traffic”

Another popular and cheaper alternative to text message: Whatsapp

In an attempt to prevent revenue decreases, AT&T has recently introduced two different texting plans. Subscribers are to choose between either: “$20 a month to send unlimited text messages or pay 20 cents for each message sent and received” instead of their previous “$10 for unlimited text messaging” service. Even though this may help in the short run, customers who are acquiring newer devices may soon turn to the alternative methods instead to cut down costs. Maybe it’s time for wireless carriers to follow with the new technological trends and develop alternative strategies to protect their business?

Images from: http://static.product-reviews.net/wp-content/uploads/Apples-iMessage-announcement-leaves-iPhone-and-iPad-carriers-stumped.jpg
http://www.fuelgrafics.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/whatsapp.jpg

A few weeks ago, when Netflix Inc. decided that it was going to split its streaming and DVD services into a separate website called “Qwikster”, there has been complaints from customers saying that they do not want to manage two accounts. Although Netflix claims that this separation was to provide the opportunity for better services, customers disliked this idea as those who wanted
subscriptions for both services would be required to pay extra fees.

However, a few weeks after the announcement of “Qwikster”,  Netflix has decided to abandon its plan to split its services. Reed Hastings, CEO and co-founder of Netflix states that the company “mov[ed] too fast”, which is “what [it] did in this case”. Although the company has realized that consumers were not in favour of the change, it had already lost approximately 1 million customers after the announcement. The good news is that

Netflix says goodbye to Qwikster

subscribers of Netflix are now able to return to the comfort of using one account instead of two to organize their daily streaming and DVD rental needs. Maybe the company needs to devise a new marketing strategy in order to capture consumer interest again and to figure out what consumers really need before “moving too fast” again.

Images from: http://scm-l3.technorati.com/11/10/25/54823/netflix.jpg?t=20111025091833
http://www.reelseo.com/qwikster/

Posted by: | 30th Sep, 2011

Check it out!

Cole Routtenberg, a student from another section of Comm 101, posted a great analysis to why Apple has risen to success over the years. His entry does not only provide reasons for the success of the company, but also provides links and sources for readers who are interested in reading further into the report. Not only was I able to find out why the company has been so successful, I have also learned about the different strengths and strategies that the company utilizes in order to capture the attention of consumers.

I think that Apple has been successful not only because of its marketing strategies, but also because of the fantastic customer service. I have only started using Apple products a few years ago. When I first purchased my iPhone, I was confused with all the functions as I was used to other brands such as Sony Ericsson. However, the friendly staff of Apple has patiently answered all my questions. This experience allowed me to realize the importance of not only effective marketing schemes, but high quality customer service as well.

I hope you guys find it as interesting as I did!

Cole’s Post: From 1976 to 2011: Apple’s rise to the technological top

Posted by: | 14th Sep, 2011

Just Be Yourself?

“Just be yourself!” is a phrase we hear from the people around us on a daily basis. However, after reading the article, “How to work with a ‘drama diva’,” it is apparent that not everybody thinks the same way. This article outlines tips for employees to follow when working with a ‘drama diva’ in order for them to be successful in their working environment. The question is, “is this really necessary?”

Though it is an employee’s goal to deliver a product that satisfies his / her boss’s expectations, is it worth it if he / she has to lie or to present him / herself as a completely different person while working? For example, a tip mentioned in the article was to “Compliment drama divas for what they do well.” This is definitely an ethical issue in regards to whether employees are willing to change in terms of personality and to present themselves as people whose main goal has turned into becoming loyal followers of the ‘drama diva.’ On the other hand, are they willing to sacrifice this employment and work in an environment where they have freedom and area to improve their technical abilities? This depends on their view of “just be yourself.”

Image reference: http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscartoons/cartoonists/tcr/lowres/tcrn160l.jpg

Older Posts »