Marketing Plan Assignment

It really is a shame the marketing project was done this way… I feel it is unfair to people in other classes who were not fortunate enough to be able to partake in such a rewarding and interesting project. This project supplemented ideas from class very well and allowed me to understand them better through trial. The video aspect gave me not only a new skill but a new respect for technology, such as cameras and editing software, and the work and understanding it takes to operate it fully.

The first parts of the project were just as much about coming together as a team as they were developing a macro-environmental analysis, SWOT, and position for our chosen company. These parts also happened to combine many components of class lectures and put them into use. It helped me understand things like why a SWOT would be done after the environmental analysis or the process in which one goes through to develop a positioning statement. It was rewarding to watch these SWOT diagrams, target markets and all the rest of the hard work we put in all semester tie into one final video project that was left up to our creativity with few guidelines and restrictions.

For the video portion of the project, my group mates and I were fortunate enough to have an experienced cinematographer and editor in Mark Smith which made learning about the technology much easier. The video idea was definitely new, but with a group like ours we were bound to take off running with it. After our first meeting about the video our team was convinced we wanted to do a music video to express our creativity. However, we realized with the amount of work it would take and the little time we had, we changed our idea to what it is today. This is where I felt I took the most out of the project because not only did I learn about filming and editing I learned about, the time and work it takes, what equipment you need, and how it does not just all come together easily.

This project was very rewarding and I would recommend the marketing department use it for all Intro Marketing courses.