Week of “The Hour of the Star”

This week’s reading was “The Hour of the Star” by Clarice Lispector, this read was very unique, despite it being a relatively shorter book with only around 70 pages, the story and the characters within the book were very enjoyable to read. Not only that but the themes of feminism and poverty through the eyes of a male narrator offer a unique perspective on these complex issues that I found extremely interesting to read about since normally it wouldn’t have been told from a male’s perspective.

The book’s depiction of poverty also resonated deeply with me. Through the eyes of the narrator, I was confronted with the uncomfortable truth of societal indifference toward the saddening state of the impoverished. Lispector’s portrayal of Macabea, a woman with simple desires and a resilient spirit, changed my preconceived assumption of happiness and fulfillment. I found myself quickly questioning the value of material wealth and the true meaning of success in the face of hardships.  Also, I feel like the grand narrative of Lispector’s own role as a writer added another layer of complexity to the story. As I reflected on the inequality in access to literature and education, I felt great sympathy for those who could not have access to opportunities such as education and other societal essentials.

Another aspect of the book that particularly struck me was its portrayal of silence. Lispector’s ability to combine together literal and metaphorical silences, almost as if it’s highlighting the struggles of women like Macabea whose voices are often overlooked and marginalized in society due to unequal treatment. It really lets us readers reflect on the pervasive nature of gender inequality and the importance of amplifying the voices of those who are silenced, where everyone needs to have the chance to be heard.

The book’s themes really got me thinking about how fair treatment and fair chances at opportunities should go hand in hand. Lispector’s portrayal of Macabea’s story made me think about how some people face more challenges because of how society works. It made me see that not everyone has the same access to things like education and jobs, and how important it is to ensure that everyone has an equal chance to succeed. It made me realize that we need to work towards creating a level playing field where everyone. The narrative reminded me that fairness isn’t just about how we treat each other—it’s also about how we structure our society to give everyone a fair shot.

Discussion Question

Do you think anything would be different in the story if the male narrator was female instead?

Should the book be longer to allow more plot development to be done?

2 thoughts on “Week of “The Hour of the Star”

1. Jon

” I feel like the grand narrative of Lispector’s own role as a writer added another layer of complexity to the story.”

Can you explain this?

“Another aspect of the book that particularly struck me was its portrayal of silence.”

And can you give some specific examples?

2. Nini

Hi! I really resonate with your take on how saddening it is to read about poverty and the extent to which it affects people. It really makes you think about how lucky you are for all the things we’ve begun to take for granted, like education.
    – Nini