The Trenchcoat – Norman Manea

This week’s reading was an interesting yet difficult book to read as it was more focused on the backgrounds of war, with similarities to George Orwell’s 1984 which I’ve read in the past. After finishing “The Trenchcoat,” I was left with a feeling of, “Well, that’s that.” nothing, no deep feelings of emotions—just a quiet contemplation. Comparing it to George Orwell’s “1984,” there are similarities: the big themes of surveillance and the dread it brings. But “The Trenchcoat” is more like a whisper compared to Orwell’s shout. It’s subtle, filled with a kind of foggy plot and language that really makes you work for understanding. And yet, after a bit of reflection, I began to appreciate this approach. It’s like Manea is saying, “This confusion, this lack of clarity? That’s the point.” Honestly, though, I can’t say I was thrilled with the novella. It was an okay read—not bad, but not great for me. I struggled to connect with the characters and the whole mystery of the trenchcoat didn’t really captivate me as I hoped it would.

But having said all this, I can’t help but respect what Manea tried to do here. It’s a novel that makes you think, that makes you reevaluate your understanding of a time period I thought I knew pretty well. To me, it’s not about the dramatic twists or deep character backstories; it’s about the atmosphere, the subtle undercurrents of fear and control. In drawing parallels to my own experiences and the broader world, “The Trenchcoat” gets you thinking about how easy it is to get caught up in fear, in suspicion of your neighbor, and how those feelings can be manipulated. It’s a quiet reflection on the power of government and surveillance, still relevant in many ways today. A scene I remember specifically is that there’s a part where Manea describes a dinner party, and it’s pretty well done. He uses a lot of detail and repetition to show how much everyone is enjoying the food and drinks, almost like they haven’t eaten in a long time. It’s one of the more vivid parts of the book. Reading about this part feels unsettling because it hints at wrongdoings and manipulations behind the scenes. The contrast is clear: they’re enjoying a fancy meal while discussing societal issues. Compared to other Cold War narratives, I think “The Trenchcoat” offers a very unique perspective by highlighting the personal experiences of its characters against a backdrop of political turmoil.

Discussion Question

In what ways does “The Trenchcoat” make you rethink your understanding of the Cold War era and its themes of fear and control?

4 thoughts on “The Trenchcoat – Norman Manea

1. Ava

Hi Jerry! I really liked how you described your feeling after the book as a “quiet contemplation”. I also agree with you regarding how the story was more about the atmosphere at the time rather than the twists. It felt more about the emotions elicited by the trenchcoat than the trenchcoat itself.

2. gurnaaz

Hi! To answer your question I think that through its characters, it shows the human side of the political tensions, highlighting the fear and control imposed by totalitarian regimes.

3. Daniel Orizaga Doguim

“…it’s about the atmosphere, the subtle undercurrents of fear and control…” In some way, we can all understand that atmosphere: that of feeling observed and judged for something that is not so obvious. And I share your opinion about this story… after other recent novels that we had read, such as The Hour of the Star, Manea spreads a perception of tedium and low-intensity affects. It is another type of discomfort.

4. Vibha Jayaprakash

Honestly, I never really thought about the Cold War era, but reading this book felt like I had entered the world of George Orwell’s 1984 where Big Brother is always watching and you can’t trust your neighbours. The characters in this book are so cavalier about the fact that they are always being monitored and controlled and it seems that there is a baseline level of fear in all the residents of this area in this period that won’t ever go away. It felt weird to me that all of these phenomena aren’t entirely fiction these occurred to real people.
    – Vibha Jayaprakash