Got Milk?

Posted by: | September 26, 2010 | Leave a Comment

I finally caught up on the readings from the textbook (much easier to read than HR). I noticed the “Got Milk?” campaign on a page and decided to make my second blog post about it. If you think about it, the idea is somewhat similar to the “Baby Carrots” campaign. Both are taking on the huge unhealthy markets in their categories. The carrot farmers are taking on the junk food industry while the dairy farmers are taking on the soft drink industry. This person wrote an entire analysis of the “Got Milk?” campaign. http://marketing-case-studies.blogspot.com/2008/04/got-milk-campaign.html An interesting point in their case study is that “According to the U.S. Newswire, 9 out of 10 Americans could identify the [Got Milk?] phrase in 2003”. I guess the “milk” part kind of gives it away, but that is still a pretty high percentage. The campaign uses celebrities, athletes, and well known animated characters in their ads. Other companies also use celebrities in their ads. Razors (Roger Federer, Tiger Woods), makeup stuff (probably way too many to list), Clearly Contacts (Trevor Linden), etc. The difference here is that the consumer feels better about following a celebrity’s good-for-you lifestyle rather than using the same razor as Tiger Woods (Well, some people might still look up to him). This approach pretty much hits all of the target groups. I think that many of those under the age of 13 (well, you could probably raise this age a bit) look up to someone from the mentioned groups. If marketers grab customers when they’re young and they stay lifetime customers, it is worthwhile for the dairy producers. In this case, most people already drink some milk. The campaign seems to be encouraging people to drink more milk and to substitute away from other alternatives. When you’re at home and milk is in the fridge, you might chose to drink it. Fair enough. But when you go out to eat or just need to buy a drink on the run, milk usually isn’t the first choice. Something to consider next time you buy lunch. I guess the biggest problem with milk outside the home is the fact that it needs to be drunken relatively fast compared to other drinks (perishable).  The nutrition facts are very good. Even chocolate milk is better than most of the alternatives. The list of well known endorsers of the campaign is huge. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Got_Milk%3F. If I was well known, you could add me to that list.

Comments

Name (required)

Email (required)

Website

Speak your mind