Why commodities charge higher in Canada than in the US?

A few days ago,I planned to buy myself a Kindle,so I went to Amazon.ca,after I read through some comments,I found that some buyers were complaining about the price:Kindle charges higher in Canada than in the US.Actually the price gap problem has been disturbing Canadian for a long time.Say,some people in Vancouver will drive to Seattle on the weekends to purchase some groceries and to get some gas.Although the journey may take them a few hours they still think it’s worth going since they can save some money.

Why does the cost of living in Canada is usually higher than that in the US?Personally I think it’s because Canada is a big country but it has smaller population,therefore it has less firms and labors,the transportation cost will be higher.Secondly,tax plays an important role.Taxes account for a large proportion of government income,if government could reduce the imports tax,the prices of commodities in Canada would decrease.Anyway,it will be a long-period process since the price gap is not built in one day.