Just Chugging Along

Something Like a What to Expect

Posted by in Realizations, Res Life, Shenanigans

As I sit here, on my forever squeaky bed, surrounded by a million pieces of papers I need to read for a final tomorrow, it finally hits me that first year of university is almost over. I honestly didn’t think it would past by this fast, and yet here I am, preparing for the last three finals. Avengers: Age of Ultron dawns on me. Summer internships dawn on me. Four month long summer ‘break’ dawns on me. It’s been an unbelievable ride. Next year, I will no longer be staying…read more

1

You Don’t Feel Stressed

Posted by in Shenanigans

The next time an ‘adult’ (a concept which, by itself, is already questionable. I mean, I’m technically an adult in many countries in the world, and in Canada, but I’m still waiting for that magical part where I feel any different) tells me that students don’t understand stress, I’m going to…to…probably not say anything outrageous because I’m busy trying to maintain civility. What do you mean students don’t feel stressed? It’s practically the whole reason why I haven’t posted in three months. More than three months and going on four but…read more

0

I Am a Leaf on the Wind

Posted by in Shenanigans

This has got to be the weirdest epiphany I’ve ever had – all while the dingy, faintly slimy showers of my dorm throws a temper tantrum whenever someone flushes the toilet. I’m a first-year, oh, what a revelation. When people ask me what I’m doing, I shrug, tell them I’m doing ‘International Relations’ (even though we don’t get to choose a major until the end of second year) and then, depending on their reaction, go on to tell them I plan to do Law. Depending on their reaction. Their reaction….read more

0

Northwest Model United Nations – Seattle

Posted by in Stuff to Do on Campus

I got to spend the past weekend at my first ever Model United Nations conference in Seattle! The above picture is our UBC’s General Assembly Plenary group. I’m sort of squished in the middle there, hehe. This conference was quite easily one of the most exhausting and rewarding thing I’d done in a long, long time. The hours were gruelling, the debates were intense, the diplomacy was draining, the headaches were serious and the satisfaction was great. Nothing is better than spending hours writing, editing and editing that one resolution…read more

0

Adventures in the Museum of Anthropology

Posted by in Stuff to Do on Campus

The best part about being a student at UBC (I mean, besides being able to study here) is probably the part where you get free, unlimited access to all the museums on campus. Which, to me, is the best thing ever. Seriously! Free museum access! Why is that not advertised like crazy? So, a while back (a while because I’ve been infinitely too lazy busy to actually get around to uploading the photos) I went to the Museum of Anthropology. I’d been to the cafe with my Mum before, but we didn’t have time…read more

0

T&T and Partying

Posted by in Res Life

I can’t say I’m a very big fan of parties. I can enjoy a get together, but I don’t enjoy parties. Nothing on the people who do, that’s great for them, but I can’t stand it. Frankly, I’m beginning to feel quite alone on the matter. This is the first time I’m spending a Friday night here on campus. I usually take off after class to go home, but there’s a Model UN meeting tomorrow so I have to stay. It feels like everyone and their dog is out having…read more

3

Assassin Worms

Posted by in Res Life

Worms squirming out of the ground? Fine. Worms having a buffet on a leaf? Great. Worms descending from the heavens, clinging onto virtually invisible silk threads, dangling at just the right height that you walk face first into them and fulfil their evil plan to latch onto you unless you squish them and, hence, get delicious worm juice all over your god damn face right before lunch? Fantastic.   I’m not bitter at all! Pft, no, I totally enjoy having to stealthily ninja my way around campus, random jerking from side…read more

0

So Now That It’s Been Two Weeks…

Posted by in Res Life

…Why haven’t you posted anything? Let me just let everyone know right now: HP sucks. I don’t care if they used to be amazing, their printers and their laptops suck. My two month old laptop, after three trips over to HP for ‘fixing’, died on me within the first week of class. That’s my excuse for not posting and if it isn’t satisfactory than, damn it, you do not know the pain of having limited Internet access. I swear, if my phone had decided to kick the bucket on me…read more

0

Tricky Logistics

Posted by in Res Life

Tips and tricks to make your first Move-In Day at UBC as smooth as possible: Don’t be jet lagged. Hi there! My name is Joey and I am writing this first blog post as the clock strikes 4:30AM. Some people may have chosen to go to sleep at this time, but my body still thinks I’m in the UK so I have woken up in the wee hours of the morning. That and having the bed creak in protest with every movement coupled with the excitement of finally being here…read more

1