Week 11: The Terror

Based on the readings, this week’s title The Terror could not have been named more accurately, the utter hardship and violence that was experienced by millions in Latin America from the 60s-90s was truly a terror. As thousands died fighting in these wars, thousands more witnessed these horrible acts and ever since they have had to live with these images ingrained in their minds. Whether they were fighting in proxy wars as part of the Cold War or simply fighting as a means to bring about change in their governments – governments millions had grown increasingly fed up with – these wars were deadly and resulted in many innocent civilians being killed. This week’s discussion got me thinking about a theme that I have pondered numerous times as the term has gone on; the constant foreign involvement in Latin America.

Not unlike colonialism, a variety of Latin American countries were once again experiencing foreign intervention in their affairs and government, this time in the form of a new American Imperialism. Sadly, I must admit, I truly believe there was no interest in actually helping Latin Americans from the part of the American government as they were solely there to firstly, counteract any communist developments and propagate capitalism and secondly, reap the rewards of placing puppet governments that benefitted them. For better or for worse, the majority of governments that were being backed by the USA eventually prevailed and took power and for the most part these governments then adopted the western world’s beloved capitalism. Since then, in many cases countries continue to struggle in many social, economic, and political regards, which leads me to wonder what may have happened if the socialist movements and guerilla groups would have managed to win and take power.

Obviously, my question of what would be different is one that is being asked in hindsight but it is still interesting to wonder how Latin America might have looked, if socialism or even communism had prevailed. Many would argue that the communist state we see in Cuba is in a much healthier state then that of many comparable countries in the Central-America region, countries that with little success have tried to emulate American capitalist system. To be frank, I find it tragic that the foreign policy of the USA has been to make everywhere else more like them or to their benefit. Is it so crazy to think maybe certain places (including Latin America) would have been better off without constant intervention?