Recently in ASTU 100 I did a lit review containing Couser work on disability narratives. Which related strongly to a documentary linked by our professor about multiple sclerosis or MS. Before I decided to watch the trailer to the documentary When I Walk I wanted to find out more about MS, something I am gladly unfamiliar with because it has not directly effected my family. According to the Multiple Sclerosis Society of Canada “Ms is though to be an autoimmune disease of the central nervous system.” After gather a greater understanding from this website, I then began to take a closer look at When I Walk. I started on the website for the documentary and read the directors statement, here I gather a great understanding of director, Jason DaSilva, his process, his battle with MS, and his inspiration.

After gathering this new information, I took to ITunes in search of a trailer. From what I can grasp from the trailer. This life narrative in a documentary medium.  Fits into two of 5 rhetoric Couser talks about creating its own category. A story of triumph that does not encourage stigma

Couser talks about the typical triumph disability life narrative, and how it focuses on over coming disability and getting rid of it. This type of stories can encourage stigma. However, this story about Jason is not about over coming his disability but living with it and while living with it still following his dream of being a film marker. Jason story shows the world the crippling power disability has not only on the person it directly effects but on the people around him. Jason never lets his disability stop him. Jason step out from behind the camera into the spotlight. In doing so he created an inspirational life narrative about living with MS. Couser talks about rhetoric’s that challenge stigma by not generalizing disability, by not making stories about the “atypical” disabled person. Jason story challenges the generalizing because he doesn’t over come his disability he isn’t healed, but he has found a way to live with his disability and cope. Life narratives like this one show that you may not be abled to be healed, but you are able not just live but strive and follow your dreams.