Response to External Blog: Marketing in Terms of Gender

Powerful Yogurt, a product specifically marketed to men

Reading Carmen Nobel’s blog  made me think about how products are marketed in terms of gender. Perhaps because I am so accustomed to this marketing technique,  I never noticed how the same products are marketed so differently because of gender.

I really enjoyed this article because it touches on important social issues.  In this day and age, there definitely is a movement for society to be more accepting, tolerant, and supportive of embracing diversity.  For example, LGBT rights have significantly advanced in the past few years.  Another example is there is now a broader representation of different sexual orientations and ethnicities in television and movies.

In Nobel’s blog,  she addresses how gender roles affect how products are marketed. She states that it is more socially acceptable for women to use men’s products than if men used women’s products. She uses examples of brands like Broga (yoga for men) and Powerful Yogurt as examples of how normally feminine products are marketed towards a male audience.

Her blog made me question how to break down gender roles and stereotypes and I think society is gearing towards that goal.  For example, there has been a movement for more gender-neutral toys for young children. I think with time, this movement can benefit society on two fronts. Firstly and most importantly, society will be accepting towards diversity and people will no longer be restricted to their “role” in society.  Lastly, this movement can change how companies brand and market themselves.  This could also expand companies’ target market because they are no longer limited to gender.