Seaworld’s Lack of Corporate Social Responsibility

Blackfish (2013) is a documentary telling the story of a killer whale, Tilikum, who was purchased by SeaWorld after having killed a young woman in Victoria, BC at SeaLand. SeaWorld did not inform its employees of Tilikum’s dangerous tendencies, which lead to the death of a trainer and several other incidences, not only from Tilikum, but from other whales as well.

This film has heavily impacted me as I was introduced to SeaWorld’s poor practices such as false facts to visitors, small animal confinement, deprivation of food, and breaking up pod families. I believe that SeaWorld practices the farthest thing from corporate social responsibility; animal captivity is becoming a faux pas as we become more educated and ethically aware of corporate actions, and SeaWorld has only slightly modified its actions due to social outcry. Blackfish does a spectacular job of showcasing SeaWorld’s complete lack of corporate social responsibility “CSR” and calls into questions its ethical practices. United Airlines has also failed to practice CSR as they are transporting whales and dolphins for companies; this “condones the outrageous hunting, killing, capturing, training, transporting, and the misery of a life in confinement for these animals” (The Dodo) which I believe is barbaric in our current society. How do these companies not understand the effects of their practices?

I am excited to say that (according to a Globe and Mail article) after the release of Blackfish, SeaWorld experienced a dive in share prices. I am pleased that investors are sending the message that they do not support the harming of animals and am glad that SeaWorld is finally experiencing the consequences of their actions. I find it barbaric that SeaWorld would claim Blackfish is a “is a “propaganda film” that is “not based on science”” (Globe and Mail)- clearly, the company still has to fully come to terms with what their actions promote.

Other companies, however, have responded to Blackfish in positive ways: Kenmore Air, a floatplane company in Seattle, has launched a campaign called the “orca plane project” (The Dodo), to emphasize that whales belong in the wild. I believe this is a great act of CSR as they are aiding Wild Orca in their awareness campaigning and being a role model for other companies to follow. I think it is great to see companies such as Kenmore Air responding to current social issues through this plane project. They practice respectful procedures when encountering whales en route, they have given Wild Orca a plane to be decorated like an orca, and will be providing informational brochures in their planes for passengers to read. As a consumer, I respond well to these actions: if something (such as this) catches my attention, I will tell anyone who will listen, which means positive publicity via word of mouth for these companies.

Seaplane-Large-copy

Companies such as Kenmore Air give me hope that there is CSR in the world. Companies such as SeaWorld, however, need to fully realize the consequences of their actions and re-evaluate current practices to become more responsible in what they support.

Blackfish Trailer:

Wild Orca Campaign Video: