Manly Yogurt: the new Post-Workout Snack [In-Response]

The first impression that came into my mind when I saw that packaging of yogurt with a picture of a bull against a dark red and black background on Benji’s Post made me laugh. I thought, “Who in the world would choose that over more conventionally white-packaged yogurts with little pictures of fruits on them?”

However, in the recent years, there is an emerging market for low-carb, high-protein products, especially for people trying to losing weight. The idea of seeing quick weight loss results introduced by Atkin’s low-carb diet has had many women and men following this new weight loss regime.

Dr.Atkins’ book on losing weight

This new series of “manly groceries”, as Benji puts it, taps into a completely new customer segment that would be targeting more towards young adults and middle-aged women and men, and not so much families. I believe that the product placement for these products would not actually be on store shelves right next to the normal yogurts, where moms and dads will go look for yogurt for the whole family, but instead in the health and body supplements aisle, next to protein shakes, protein bars and diet supplements.

I’m starting to see more potential in edgier and more hardcore packaging for every day products to market toward young adults and middle-aged men and women as customers in this age group are becoming more and more obsessive about their looks and appearances.