Personal Reflection – WCAS Project Experience

WCAS-wordmark-orange(hires)The primary reason I chose to take this course was because of the group project. As the founder of West Coast Aquatic Safaris (WCAS), a small eco-tourism company in Tofino, BC, I was pumped at the opportunity to have a group of my fellow MBA-ers develop a strategic e-marketing plan for my business. I knew the ideas brought to the table would be implemented post-course and that my General Manager, Brent Baker, would be appreciative of our group’s effort.

WCAS Presentation Layout

The online marketing presentation was given to Brent via conference call as he is located in Tofino. Before the scheduled meeting, we emailed Brent the final slide deck so he could follow the presentation along as each group member spoke to its various sections (see Exhibit 1).

I have delivered presentations via conference call before but this experience differed in that there were multiple people speaking to the slide deck and I was concerned the presentation would not be as concise or impactful. That being said, by enabling all six group members to speak, we were able to drill deeper into the project and shared a far more comprehensive plan with Brent than I initially anticipated. During the presentation, it was very evident by Brent’s comments and questions that he was engaged with the content.

Our group decided to present each section of the slide deck using a similar structure as the paper, which was:

• Proposal
  • Implementation
  • Outcomes
  • Recommendations

Doing this six times and adding an introduction and conclusion took some time, but it allowed Brent to understand the group’s thinking and contemplate suggestions for moving forward with WCAS’ eMarketing strategy.

Email Marketing

I lead the email marketing section of the project. From what I know, it is very difficult to build much traction with email marketing in a short period of time. Email marketing also poses other challenges compared to social media marketing or Google Adword campaigning. Despite this, our group was further ahead than others with our email marketing strategy as WCAS already had an email contact list. When I first received the mailing list, Brent noted that the majority of individuals were past WCAS guests. A mailing list of past guests is not ideal as most people do not visit Tofino yearly to go on eco-tours. That said, some do visit annually and also go on an eco-tour each time and some of those names were on the list as well. Therefore, I began my section of the presentation stating that I felt we had lesser success, as all these people have already traveled with WCAS previously and that many of them do not know when or if they will ever return to Tofino.   This was followed with the idea to try and build a newsletter following – perhaps on local wildlife and/or Tofino happenings. Also, I suggested to individually encourage people who are regularly engaging in WCAS social media to follow the newsletter and have groups or associations that work with WCAS, such as the Accessibility Wilderness Society, to encourage their members to follow the newsletter. This way people who receive the email will be wanting the information.

A / B Testing of Email Marketing

I explained to Brent that much of online marketing is A / B Testing, also known as Beta Testing and that I did two rounds of it – WhaleYou and Test2 (see Exhibit 2 and Exhibit 3). However, before setting up the tests, I needed to eliminate some variables. In this case I eliminated time of day and day of the week. I quickly, explained from my research a few days seemed to be optimally, so I choose Thursday and between 9:00 am and 12:00 pm seemed to be optimal.

Given that most people on the email list are from Canada, I chose to use Thursday at 9:30 am PST. Also, I decided to send all emails from info@whalesafaris.com. He seemed pleased with those decisions allowing me to continue. I reflected later in my section of the presentation and asked Brent if I could try some Bata Testing closer to Christmas on the sender of the email with part of the group getting it from info and other from a specific staff member, perhaps himself. He agreed that it would be a good idea, as it could make the email seem more personable.

After beginning to engage Brent, I asked him what other information does the person who receives the email have to allow them to make the decision on whether or not to open the email. Thankfully, he stated the subject line was only other information available to the person who received the email. I agreed and then laid out the first level of testing we did.

• WhaleYou A / B Testing compared the subject lines of the emails: “adventurous” vs “gift”
  • Test2 A / B Testing compared the subject lines of the emails: “from West Coast Aquatic Safaris” or “for your family”

Conclusion of the Email Marketing

I asked Ba to guess what he thought would come out on top for each of the tests. His intuition was correct – “adventurous” for WhaleYou and “for your family” for Test2. Having Brent guess in advance was a tactic to engage him during the presentation.

Finally, because no one clicked on the “Book Now” button and that it would be challenging to compare the results between the two Bata tests – the image quality. However, my group and I determined that the Test2 email format looked better when opened. In general, we would suggest to use one collage image rather than more than one and to show an image of people, preferably families, having fun and smiling. We guessed that the “Book Now” button was not clicked for two major reasons:

1. The tests were run too far in advance of Christmas. We advised Brent to try the next test on December 11th or 18th
  2. The “Book Now” button was on the bottom of the email. We suggested moving it to the top.

Conclusion of the WCAS Presentation

I concluded the presentation by re-stating the group’s recommendations for WCAS. We thanked Brent for his time and reinforced the fact that if he had questions post meeting, that he was welcome to email any of us. I would imagine once he has read the report he may have some more questions for us.

At the end of the experience, I was quite humbled by the level of professionalism and effort that the members of my group put forth towards the project as it had a direct impact on me. Though everyone knew that the presentation to Brent was not for grading in the course, the team put in full effort because it was my company and they wanted to help me personally. It was refreshing to work on a group assignment that was a real project and not just theoretical – our group was essentially an e-marketing team working with its client, WCAS. I am keen to work with Brent to implement the recommendations made through this project and am excited to see the results in the next tour season.

Appendices

Exhibit 1 – WCAS eMarketing Presentation

Final Presentation WCAS 1.3

Exhibit 2 – WhaleYou Email

Screenshot (51)Exhibit 3 – Test2 Email

Screenshot (52)

Where is Future in the Digital Marketing Sphere?

Overview

In May 2014, online marketing guru, Lee Odden, wrote an article for his TopRank Blog titled “21 Digital Marketing Trends & Predictions for 2015”. To compile his list, Odden reached out to 21 different eMarketing experts (including himself) and asked each of them to comment on where they feel the future of digital marketing is heading.

Odden purports that business content needs to be more than informative – it should entertain as well. As such, he asked each expert to share a “selfie” of themselves to go along with their 2015 prediction for digital marketing. The responses from the 21 industry thought leaders is varied and includes their insights about the use of mathematics, big data analytics, coding, and content creation. One expert even insists that good writing will matter more in the world of video/podcast/Instagram because words can convey depth for audiences.

Making the human connection

The one resounding theme I perceived from the collection of insights is hinted at by Odden’s request for each of his experts to take a humanizing selfie. The future of eMarketing must focus on making the human connection and being empathetic to audiences. It won’t suffice for marketers to use platforms to sell, sell, sell. As one expert, Mike Stelzner (@Mike_Stelzner) put it, “it’s time to actually care” about consumers and provide them with more value online. Those that do nothing but pitch customers will be dismissed and I agree.

We live in a world where we are constantly bombarded with information from mobile phone, television, radio, tablets, etc. – there’s even a term for this now, infobesity. I think about my own online interactions and know that most of the time, I ignore the vast majority of what’s displayed on my Facebook newsfeed. Once in a blue moon, an image or a string of pithy words catches my eye and prompts me to click through. It is on an even bluer moon occasion that I actually deem something “shareworthy” and repost a video or an article. This is true for everyone. If digital content tugs at the heartstrings or makes you laugh out loud or makes you pause for thought, the chances for spurring action or sharing its message along is very high.

Even Odden’s request for the marketing experts to take selfies is a way for the author to weigh in on where he sees the future – marketing to the individual and providing empathy in the content.

Another expert interviewed, Tim Washer (@timwasher) predicts that 2015 will mark the year of humour in eMarketing. He believes that brands will learn that making authentic connections online may mean spurring a clever laugh or creating silly content as the “most efficient path to earning trust and loyalty”. We see this happening today already. Increasingly, brands will create a commercial for a major event such as the Superbowl that is just plain funny – and laughs are shareworthy and, generally speaking, people like to laugh.

Conclusion

Digital marketing is somewhat the wild west of the marketing sector, with new territory constantly being discovered / developed. With that said, it was not surprising to me that the various predictions about 2015 spanned multiple aspects of marketing. This diversity made me think about an ideal stock portfolio and how this sample of 21 differentiated digital marketing experts, follows the similar logic to it. One aim in a portfolio is to have grouped 20 negatively cotangented stocks, the portfolio should statistically balance out and in theory the portfolio should grow at the same rate as the entirety stock market. In using this argument the reoccurring themes within the article, as long as the ideas and experts are diverse as possible, should provide the direction in which digital marketing is headed.

I believe Odden did achieve this diversity and in turn hit the nail on the digital marketing head! With empathy and the concept of having the audience being involved with brand makes me believe that before something is posted the editor should be asking themselves “is this shareworthy or uploadable?” rather than “will this sell another widget?”. Digital marketing will strive to build conversation with clients, allowing them to direct the newest product to market.

In marketing we are always told to talk about the story, and teams try to build the brand identity, while doing this they chase the digital dragon’s tail. The only way for marketers to lead is for them to hand the rains over to their chosen brand identifiers. Allowing the people and groups that follow, love and relate to the brand to lead it! Having them ask the brand to provide the solutions for their problems. It’s bold, it’s new, but it’s a conversation and the only way harness the dragon of digital marketing.

By: Keith Phillips

Appendix

Odden, Lee 2015, 21 Digital Marketing Trends & Predictions for 2015, TopRank Online Marketing, Viewed November 10, 2014, http://www.toprankblog.com/2014/05/digital-marketing-2015/

Industry Analysis: The Global Deep-Sea, Coastal & Inland Water Transportation

I have worked in the marine eco-tourism industry for the last 10 years and in that time have developed my own eco-tourism company based in Tofino, BC.  Leveraging my experience and looking forward at the next 10 years of my professional career, my goal is to be part of an industry that provides an essential service to the global community.  Commercial marine shipping allows me to serve others and stay connected to the waterways.

The IBISWorld database classifies commercial marine shipping as “The Global Deep-Sea, Coastal & Inland Water Transportation”.  According to IBISWorld figures, the industry has taken a fall of 0.6% over the past five years to a present value of $166.1 billion.  However, the cruise industry, one branch of this dynamic industry, has cushioned the fall and in 2014, it is forecast that cruising will provide the industry with 5.1% boost.

Some additional positive news for marine shipping appears to be on the horizon as “the industrial production index of OECD countries is expected to increase in 2013”.   This index has a direct correlation to the marine shipping industry – as production increases in the OECD countries, the need for transportation of supplies and products also increases.  This is backed up by the fact that the world price of dry bulk shipping is predicted to increase indicating that the global demand for raw materials is on the rise.  Emerging markets play a major role, specifically the Asian markets, as they have shown some growth throughout 2008 and 2009.  Post the global economic collapse, Asian markets have lead the shipping industry as its countries account for 40.0% of goods loaded and 55.0% of good offloaded.

The increasing price of crude oil has impacted the global marine shipping industry both negatively and positively.  Negatively on one hand because ships are powered by fuel and as fuel costs climb so do vessel operating costs.  Positively on the other hand because demand for fuel did not decrease as oil prices increased.  In other words, the global economy continues to have a need to transport oil and other energy products such as liquefied natural gas (LNG) around the world.

Both the BC and federal governments have prioritized LNG as a resource that can be exported off of the west coast to Asian markets.  This is one sector of marine shipping that I am interested in participating in.  Currently, there are 6 LNG projects proposed in BC and it is forecasted that these projects will account for $1 trillion in cumulative GDP between now and the year 2046 (Ministry of Energy, Mines and Natural Gas).  As these projects move forward and become operational, the shipment of LNG product via ocean going tankers to offshore markets will be required which in turn will indirectly increase every aspect of shipping activity along our coastline.

In addition to the LNG activity, plans to export Canada’s oil resources are an additional opportunity for the marine shipping industry.  Last month, the Enbridge Northern Gateway Project hearings for the construction of a new oil export pipeline concluded.  Those working in the marine shipping industry and the people of BC anticipate the recommendations by the Joint Review Panel by the end of 2013.  Should this project receive a permit and become operational, tankers will be transporting oil to Asian markets off of BC’s coast.

Based on IBISWorld figures and industry forecasts, I am optimistic about the increasing trends in global marine shipping.  My research has directed me to Maersk A/S as “the largest shipping company in the world” at 18.3% of the market and then more locally to Seaspan and Teekay.  I hope to take part in the International Exchange Program and take classes at Copenhagen Business School.   This school is closely connected to Maersk and will hopefully provide me with some further insight into the company and the world of marine shipping.

British Columbia’s Liquefied Natural Gas Strategy – One Year Update. 2013.

Sources:

Lauren Setar. IBISWorld Industry Report H4821-GL – Global Deep-Sea, Coastal & Inland Water Transportation. February 2013.

My Story

Like many Canadian teenagers, I graduated from high school with many uncertainties but one thing I knew for certain – I would obtain a post-secondary university degree, likely a Bachelor of Science, before my twenty-fifth birthday.

I looked forward to the many opportunities attending the University of Victoria would provide me both in and out of the classroom and through networking, I found myself working part-time conducting whale watching tours during my studies.  Unbeknownst to me, working this seasonal job was the first step I would take down the path to pursuing my MBA.

Leading tour groups came naturally to me and my affinity for both the job and the business grew with each season I worked.  In 2005, a work opportunity moved my life to Tofino, British Columbia, a location that offered a longer and more diversified tour season.  In Tofino, my expertise and passion for the marine eco-tourism industry solidified and I became confident that I could provide a first class product into the market that had not yet been fulfilled.

In 2007, after some business planning, I was able to construct my first marine vessel, a 12-passenger all weather boat, to launch my own eco-tourism business, West Coast Aquatic Safaris (WCAS).  WCAS found an early fit with the high-end clientele that frequented Tofino and enabled me to build business relationships with international hospitality organizations such as Clef d’or and Relais & Chateaux.  After the second season, every seat on my 12-passenger vessel was selling out and I determined that business expansion was the next step.

After more business planning, I elected to have a second larger capacity boat built in Washington State.  The construction process was slow and tedious and the resulting product was not to my satisfaction.  However, after several negotiations and vessel modifications, the mistakes were eventually corrected and the final product was perfect for the west coast eco-tourism industry.  During the construction of my second vessel, I also realized there was a need to improve my customer management process.  Investing in an intuitive and sophisticated point-of sale system was the answer as it was also designed to serve as a marketing vehicle.

The decisions to expand my fleet and to invest in the new point-of-sale system doubled my sales and enabled WCAS to hire full-time managerial staff.   At this point in running my business, I took a step back to assess the business choices I made.  I wondered if making these major business choices could have been less arduous and the process a more efficient one if I had some formal business training.  There was only one way to find out.  I made the decision to pursue my MBA at the Sauder School of Business and feel optimist about the opportunities ahead.

My first promotional video can be viewed by clicking here.  More videos can be viewed on my company website:  www.WhaleSafaris.com.