If I’m a businessman, do I have a soul?

The idea of commerce has always scared me in some ways. The idea of the corporation, of maximizing profits, has always seemed like somewhat of a greedy conquest that I was unready to embark on. How could it be possible to balance ethics and business? How could humanity and commerce go hand in hand? But lately, I’ve realized that not everyone is like Bernie Maidof. Being a businessman does not always entail a dirty set of values.

My recent introduction to the Freeman stakeholder theory has shown me how valuable strong business ethics are. Yes, it’s true that many greedy deceivers get away with their actions, but I believe that the stakeholder theory will usually hold true: if you pay interest to all the stakeholders involved in your company and treat them well, you will be prosperous. I agree whole heartedly with this and am grateful to this theory for reminding me that people like me do belong in commerce. Creative, motivated people can make changes to the business world without being deceptive.

I also believe that learning business ethics is a vital part of our education and is necessary to ensure that the next generation of financiers and entrepreneurs, myself included, have the power to conduct business with integrity and make monumental changes to the world.

So, in four years when I walk across that stage and call myself a businessman, will I have a soul? I believe so.