Black-Friday-Line

Image: Black Friday is fast-approaching

As we get nearer and nearer to the end of November, the only two words in consumer’s and retailer’s minds are “Black Friday.” This is one of the most anticipated events of the entire year for not only Americans, but also ourselves, as Canadians. In recent years, Canadian retailers have been incorporating the idea of Black Friday into their own in-store and online promotions in an effort to combat the typical decline and loss in sales due to cross-border shoppers. As discussed in Business Vancouver’s article, many retailers such as Boys’ Co. are preparing massive sales and promotions with the evident increase in consumer spending habits. This came as an intriguing topic to me as I began to inquire the complexities of consumer behaviour and the power that marketing and advertisements have over us. With Black Friday fast approaching, I consider that there’s a combination of various funnel frameworks discussed in our marketing research class that are apparent. Electronics are the top items purchased during the post-Thanksgiving weekend and I believe much of this has to do with ad awareness, brand favourability and of course, price. The bottom-line is that for die-hard shoppers, no one can pass up a truly good deal. Although Black Friday across Canada may not be as extravagant or elaborate in comparison to the US just yet, there are predictions that in the upcoming years, it is possible for Black Friday to surpass Canada’s Boxing Day. But until then, let’s just enjoy having these shopping options at home without all the hassle.