As a commuter, the on-going uncertainty of the apparent Compass Card has got me questioning what the issue really entails. As Tristan stated in his blog, “TransLink was supposed to implement [the card] in 2010”, yet here we are in 2014, and there is still little indication as to when and how TransLink proposes to properly put this project into place. I enjoyed gaining insight of his approach and opinion on what seems to be “a colossal fail in operations”, a lack in marketing awareness, and information that is difficult to navigate through and is unclearly defined. Overall, there has been much controversy regarding this topic.

Compass smart card can’t prevent fraud, police say

Image: Launch of the new Compass

Soon after, I came across a Vancity Buzz news article stating that by 2015, the Compass Card would be expanding its user-base to post-secondary students thus, the U-Pass BC program would be abolished. Though this plan does sound promising since we, as students make-up a vast percentage of public transit users, I have yet to believe that the timeline for the plan will go as indicated. The article suggests that instead of having to line-up each month for our paper passes, the new system will incorporate the usage of on-line load ups. Though there have been many faults in the system, I think TransLink is ensuring a reasonable and viable approach in order to dismiss former technical issues. If the Compass Card does go according to plan, I hope that time is not much of a factor as it previously was because the value of time is most definitely costly.