I have a great story to tell you.

Not so long a time ago, in a galaxy not so far away, there existed a remarkably sophisticated new animal. This new animal was really terrific; top notch; spared no expense. This animal could not only do the basic rigamarole of eating, sleeping, making new, smaller animals, and trying to avoid being eaten by scarier animals – or falling off cliffs, and what have you. This animal figured out how to do all sorts of brand, shiny new things: namely, how to hold onto things with a sneaky, special claw, which allowed the animal to jam sticks together to make a den, or how to jam sticks together differently to make some glowing hot stuff.

“Ouch!” thought the animal. “But cooooool.”

Sticks continued to work out well for the animal. It used sticks to sharpen other sticks, to keep away the scarier animals, and catch and eat smaller and stupider ones. It used sticks for all kinds of neat stuff – even drawing pictures of itself on cave walls. Then, the animal wanted to have a better look at the pictures it drew of itself, so it got right up onto its hind legs, and had a good look at the picture it had drawn.

“Cooooool,” said the animal, out loud.

Stop me if you’ve heard this one.

You guessed it: we’re pretty familiar with the animal I’m talking about – as all the other animals became familiar with it too. “All right, all right,” they grumbled. “Show off.” And they named the flashy new animal HUMAN, and learned to increasingly give it some space. As one does with braggarts and pests.

For HUMAN became a braggart indeed. And one day, when HUMAN was fast asleep, after a day of sharpening sticks and doing stuff with them, the different parts of HUMAN threw themselves a lil’ party, to celebrate all the cool stuff they could do.

“All right, all right,” crowed Brain. “We’ve really been hitting it out of the park lately. What have y’all been up to?”

(“I mean,” chortled Brain, “I know, because I’m the knowledge centre of this whole shebang. But I like hearing y’all tell it.”)

So Body stood up, and told the assembly all about the incredible things it had been doing with HUMAN – how to hold things, and move things, and climb things, and run away from things, and throw things, and grab things, and jump off things, and…

“Yes, yes,” smirked Brain. “You’re very good at doing all the things I tell you to do. Well done.”

“Hold my beer,” said Heart. And Heart told a long, rousing story about how Body and Brain couldn’t do any of the interesting things that they did without it pumping away, giving them all the juice and inspiration they needed to keep on keeping on.

“Wow,” sniffed Brain. “I gotta hand it to you, Heart. You sure are useful. Anyone who helps me do what I do must be pretty darn cool.”

And so it went for a while, with Heart, Brain, and Body all telling story after story, boast after boast, of all the neat stuff they’d learned to do, and how excellent they felt learning to do those things. And it was quite some time before they realized they had another guest at the party. A guest that sat near the back, wearing a dark cloak and a dark hood, looking thoroughly out of place.

“Hey,” belched Body, who had had quite enough to drink, thank you very much. “Who’s that weirdo?”

“Chill,” hissed Brain. “That’s my estranged cousin, Bad Feelings. We don’t get on so well, any more. Just be polite, and keep your distance.”

“Zat so?” chortled Heart. “Hey! Bad Feelings! Did you hear all the cool stuff we’ve been up to?”

“Oh yes,” responded Bad Feelings, who spoke in a soft purr, almost inaudible, but perfectly clear. “I heard. You’ve been busy.”

“Darn right we have!” crowed Body, flexing itself for no real reason. “What about you? What have you been up to? Huh?”

“Can it,” murmured Brain, looking thoroughly nervous. “Just leave it be.”

Bad Feelings stood up. Its dark cloak whooshed theatrically as it did.

“What have I been up to?” purred Bad Feelings. “I’ll tell you. I’ve been watching. And learning.”

“Learning? Ha ha ha. Isn’t that my job?” blustered Brain, more nervous by the second.

“I have learned One Thing, which I know to be True,” whispered Bad Feelings.

A hush fell over the group. No one was laughing or swaying now. The temperature in the room seemed to have dropped. No one asked Bad Feelings what the One True Thing was. They had started thinking that maybe they didn’t want to know, thank you very much.

But Bad Feelings told them anyway.

“All the things you have said today… are lies.”

A rumble passed over the party. Warning lights started to blink.

“Hey!” Brain frowned. “We’re waking up. But it’s not morning yet!”

Brain looked around. Bad Feelings was gone, and Body and Heart had snapped into action. But neither of them were looking so hot.

“Oooh,” burbled Body. “I don’t feel so good.” And sure enough, Body was shaking all over, and clenching up, and tying itself into all sorts of knots.

“Hey!!” squealed Heart, who was jumping up and down in place like there was no tomorrow. “That’s not how you do it, Body! Get it together!”

“Well maybe if you chilled out and stopped giving me so much juice, I would!” spat Body, curling itself into a ball and a pretzel at once.

“Both of you stop it!” said Brain, trying to sound both stern and calming at once. “I didn’t tell you to do any of these things. So cut it out!”

“What are you talking about, Brain?” said Body, its prezel-ball-self quivering in place.

“Of course you did,” panted Heart, jumping up and down.

Brain stopped and thought. Had it told Body and Brain to do all of these wacky things? Brain hadn’t thought so; it couldn’t remember doing so. But Brain looked up, and saw all kinds of paper airplanes flying out of its pockets, in all directions.

“Hey!” exclaimed Brain. It grabbed the closest paper airplane, and unfolded it. The paper airplane simply said ‘CRY.’

Brain snagged the next paper airplane and unfolded it. The airplane said ‘BREAK STICK.’

“What is going on?” trembled Brain.

“You tell me!” wheezed Heart, doing somersaults and jumping jacks at once.

“MMRRGRRFFFLLLDRRFFLL” mumbled Body, no longer able to respond through its pretzel self.

Brain was getting thoroughly flummoxed, and more than a little scared, when finally it snapped its fingers.

“Bad Feelings!” Brain called out. “Where did you go? You’ve started something disastrous, and we need it to stop – fast!”

But Bad Feelings was nowhere to be seen. There may have been the faintest purr of an amused chuckle in the distance – but it was pretty hard to tell over the acrobatics of Body and Heart.

“This is no good at all,” said Brain. “We’ve done all these amazing things! How are we supposed to keep doing amazing things if we’re stuck doing this kind of nonsense?”

There is no happy ending to this story, as you well know. Brain, Body, and Heart continued to make HUMAN do more and more amazing things. But the amazing things steadily became less and less amazing, and more and more silly, fruitless, and hurtful – to the other animals, to the planet, and even to HUMAN itself.

Brain fought and fought and fought to keep Body and Heart (and, sheepishly, itself) on task. It used all of its mighty Cerebrum to remind Body and Heart – and, grumbling, itself – of the stories of all the cool things they had done, with sticks and otherwise, and all of the even more cool things they could do if they could stop fussing around with this nonsense.

But it was too late. Bad Feelings had spoken its piece. And once a story is told, it cannot be called back. Once told, it is loose in the world. And the world – and HUMAN – have regretted that story ever since.

-KH

MUSINGS

In terms of getting the idea for this story, it did indeed come from my Brain, but I think I was inherently channeling the ‘Heart and Brain’ strip from Nick Seluk’s wonderful Awkward Yeti comics – and maybe a teensy bit of the magic realism of Disney/Pixar’s Inside Out as well, if I’m being totally honest.

In terms of the story’s telling, I have a bit of an acting background, so I had figured I’d have fun paraphrasing my story and reiterating it orally. I actually found the opposite to be the case. I’m a chatty fellow, and thereby far from unfamiliar with ‘storytelling’ in a group setting (at least in terms of sharing personal anecdotes), but this kind of sharing a personal creative work orally felt far more unsettlingly unfamiliar to me than I’d expected. I felt overtly sheepish telling the story to my wife, and an adult friend, and its telling definitely suffered for it. The consensus was, universally, once they’d heard the oral version and compared it to my written version, that my written telling was more effective and skillful.

I had better success telling the story to my drama class of 6-8 year olds (which I think I’d implicitly anticipated, as I think I instinctively wrote this as a bit of a kid’s fable). In telling the story to then, I fed off their more eager investment and interest (kids get bedtime stories, and are thereby more accustomed to having stories shared with them orally, then a lot of we crusty adults out of synch with the oral traditions we grow up with), and my telling of the story picked up a lot more energy through them responding to it. It helped my playfully characterize each of the ‘characters’ (‘Body’ became more of a dumb jock; ‘Bad Feelings’ became much scarier; etc.), and build the dramatic ‘oomph’ of it. That said, this was a double-edged sword, as telling the story orally to my class of kids  also made the immutability of the ending play as a lot more sad – so much so, that I felt almost guilty sucker-punching the fun I’d built up earlier. As Thomas King rightly points out, stories can injure as much as cure (92), and the closing finality of the ‘once stories are shared, they cannot be recalled’ moral really hit home sharing it with a younger, more impressionable audience.

Telling my story orally from memory also made it clumsier – I felt like I’d lost control over the wording I’d carefully scrutinized, and it was hard to relinquish my intrinsic conflation of control and ownership. I actually felt a lot less ownership over my story telling it out loud – the empathetic actor in me couldn’t help but feed off the vice and emotions of each audience each telling, making it an inherently communal experience each time. In writing, it was MY story – but out loud it immediately became ‘our’ story (that said, I’d written it with a Thomas King-ian tone in my head, so I guess that inherently makes it ‘our story’ right off the bat). I found this pretty thematically fitting – for, indeed, my choice of story is, indeed, very much the story of ‘us’ – and the experience also forced me to become intimately acquainted with some Bad Feelings of my own. Hopefully it doesn’t stir up too many for you, dear reader, as well.

Regardless, as King puts it (and these sentiments now reeeeaaaally resonate): this story is yours now. Do with it what you will. Muse on it and post an insightful reflection comment. Sneer at my shallow faux-creativity, turn your nose up, and go find a better story to comment on. Shed tears, drink a glass of wine, and fall into an existential funk. Make a comic strip out of it – or perhaps an animated short narrated by someone appropriately irreverent – maybe Jack Black? But don’t say in the years to come that you would have lived your life differently if only you had heard this story.

You’ve heard it now.

Heart & Brain, from Nick Seluk’s effervescent Awkward Yeti comics. 

WORKS CITED:

The Awkward Yeti. http://theawkwardyeti.com/ Accessed January 23, 2019. 

Inside Out
 (film). Dir. Pete Docter & Ronnie Del Carmen. Pixar Animation Studios & Walt Disney Pictures, 2015.

King, Thomas. The Truth About Stories: A Native Narrative. Toronto: House of Anansi Press Inc, 2003.

7 Thoughts.

1. hey Kevin

Very creative story. I really loved the way you brought the parts of the human in conversation as a way to describe a process of development in the species. I can really relate to the idea that a simple negative thought can derail so much progress. When doubt creeps in to our thought processes and begins to question the foundations of what we are doing, it is a very dangerous, slippery slope. The one question I have , and it is more general than to you specifically, is whether we have to believe that stories cannot be retold. In your story, for example, couldn’t heart or brain or body (or all three) work on retelling or reframing Bad Feeling’s narrative? I know that we were given the ending and didn’t have the option to change it but this was something that bothered me about the message we are sending by this story. That being said, your tale was powerful and undoubtedly reinforced the power of words.

• Hi Laen,

Thank you so much for your kind feedback here! I admit that the particular takeaway from my story here was influenced by having to mirror King’s for the assignment (breaking the creative fourth wall! Busteeeedddd!) – but I also stand by it. We were asked to dig into the ‘introduction of evil into this world,’ and, in thinking long and hard over how I’d understand and make sense of evil, my main conclusion is that I can’t understand evil as anything other than the overbearing influence of bad feelings twisting and unravelling otherwise well-intentioned (or simply functional) thought and behavioural patterns. So, I admit that the ending here is a bit general (I was running long as is), but I also intended it to be situational: evil thoughts and actions result from Brain, Body, and Heart NOT being able to reframe or control overbearing bad feelings, so the increasing prevalence of them was in comparison to the highly functional evolutionary triumphs that preceded them. Upon further reflection, I definitely could’ve carved out more space at the end for situational victories as such (and, I confess, I certainly softened the ending a lot when telling this story to my class of 6-8 year olds) – but I also think the fatalism packs a certain punch, which I like. Regardless, I like to think of myself as a hopeful, optimistic person, so I really appreciate you taking my comparative pessimism to task here, haha. Thanks for reading!

2. I love personification, so I love this story! I find it really interesting how you articulated each body part with different personalities, which for me, mirrored the diversity of humanity, all with different perspectives and motives. I too, see the human condition as stress filled endeavor to attain more and more “progress”. With heightened complexity, Humans are unable to control what they’ve started, and therefore all the progress made for betterment often creates something much worse. I feel like your story has the capacity to be told to children, to emulate a new message of the much-needed change between the human and environmental relationship. The voice utilized in this tale is really soft, yet concise. It’s important that we make these stories consumable for all people, young and old, so that going forward we can learn from our past ways and practices. Great story!

Lexi

• Hi Lexi,

Thank you so much! I’m really flattered and glad that you enjoyed what I wrote – and, I admit, I wrote it very much as a kind of pseudo-kids story, partially because I felt that King’s story, which I used as influence, had a very ‘fairy tale-esq’ quality to it, and partially because I think that kids of all ages could generally due with a reminder to be cognizant of the influence bad feelings have on their lives, thoughts, and decisions. I definitely like the idea of evil being something that’s not out of human control, but certainly a byproduct of circumstances, life experience, or emotional wiring that is – which doesn’t make it excusable, or necessarily understandable, but it does situation it within a context – and that’s also a helpful reminder, as a lot of kids’ stories are anchored on pretty two-dimensional ‘bad guys’ or ‘supervillains,’ which can make evil seem like a far-removed or intrinsic concept. Thanks for your thoughts and feedback here!

3. Your story has a great voice and humour to it (well, the humour was more at the beginning… then it gets darker!), and I can only imagine how entertaining it must have been for your young drama class to hear you perform it! I can see how you were influenced by Inside Out- I found myself thinking of the film while reading your story. I’m not sure if it was your intention, but I understood it to be that Bad Feelings was a part of the human body, which I like. I feel that connects to the idea that evil is not just an outside force, but comes from within, as a part of the balance in life (ying and yang, or that nothing is all “good” or all “evil”). It also brings in the idea that human WANT to be good (the way Brain desperately tries to keep everyone else on track), but are frequently distracted by darker forces. I’m still trying to figure out how I feel about that idea…do you think all humans WANT to be good? Or maybe different humans have different concepts of what “good” means, and their idea of doing good things results in evil actions? I’d love to hear if you had a discussion with your drama students after, and what their feedback was, both on the story itself and the telling of the story!

• Hi Marianne,

Great points here – thank you for sharing them! We didn’t get the chance for as much of a discussion in my class after I shared the story (which I sorely regret – but we only have an hour together once a week, and wrangling a room full of kids in a drama room always leads to things taking far longer than expected, haha). I’m hoping to come back to it this week without hijacking the class too much (and to see if they remember it at all, heh). I will say that my class did seem to all grasp the message of evil not being as absolute a concept, and a couple of them had really valuable insights of ‘bad things happening as a result of different peoples’ needs not being met,’ which I thought was incredibly thoughtful of them. The general consensus was that they enjoyed how silly Brain, Body, and Heart were (which I really played up in person), but that Bad Feelings was very scary. A couple of them took great pride in telling me that they figured out that the ‘animal’ was humans before its big reveal – so I’m glad that that at least wasn’t overtly obvious to a younger audience. They all seemed to find the ending sad, but also seemed pretty unfazed by it, which I think shows that they had a more innate understanding of actions being linked to consequences then you might anticipate. I’m always wowed by how much wiser kids are than you’d expect, and they never fail to impress me.

In regards to your second point, I don’t think it’s a question so much of all humans ‘wanting to be good’ as everyone seeing themselves as the hero in their own story, and reframing their own harmful actions as justified or necessary, and others’ objections to them as somehow misguided (or, in many cases, as further injustices against them, the perpetuator). I think it’s really easy to justify harmful actions within a self-perception of victimhood (and we’re becoming increasingly aware of how many people and communities who we’d normally assume being in positions of power and privilege still see and understand themselves as victims…), and this in particular can be a really slippery slope to actions we’d often frame as ‘evil,’ that the perpetrators certainly wouldn’t see as such.

And yes – I love Inside Out, and think it’s one of the wisest and most heartfelt kids’ movies in the past several years, so I’m happily to pay homage to it here. Poor Bing Bong… never forget.

Thanks Marianne!

4. Hi Kevin

I really enjoyed your story! I used a similar approach in my story where the human was the vessel in which evil was brought into the world, but I very much enjoyed that in your story, the “evil” was intrinsic to the human’s own story. It made for a great tale with an untraditional but very interesting point of view. You said something interesting in your reply to Lexi’s comment that part of why you wrote the story how you did was because it is important for kids to be aware of how “bad feelings” affect them. I’m just curious as to whether you think that the bad feelings are what bring evil into the world, or if it’s our perception of the bad feelings and how we learn to handle them that can eventually be the root of evil?

Cassie