Assignment 2:2 – There’s a place I call Home, and it moves…

Saw this beautiful brick building on a brief trip to London whilst leaving one Home and heading to another.
Write a short story (600 – 1000 words) that describes your sense of home; write about the values and the stories that you use to connect yourself to, and to identify your sense of home.

Home is a funny word, you know? Is it a place, or a person? Physical, tangible: that last step on the way to the basement that you trip on every time, ever so slightly? Or a feeling: fearless; incorrigible? Or perhaps a familiar smell, when you walk in the door, nine years old, haphazardly spilling wellie boots, mittens, sopping raincoat, and a half-opened backpack onto the floor as you breathe in Mama Bear’s oatmeal chocolate chip cookies?

Can you have just one, Home, I mean? When you happen upon a new one, does the old one get discarded? Or can you collect them, pocketing the good ones and turning away from the darker ones, questioning if they’d ever even counted?

There’s a place I call Home, and it moves, it moves within me, behind me, and beyond me. Like it’s waiting, waiting for me to make my next, almost always exceedingly deliberate move, but waiting patiently all the same.

First, Home was a house, a house in the prairies, on a tree-lined street, hipster adjacent to the somewhat more trendy Old Strathcona in Edmonton, Alberta. My neighbourhood was Hazeldean, a word which became the first “big” word I could spell without cheating, without whispering into the ear of my three-years-older sister for help with a letter here, a letter there. Home had a big backyard, filled lovingly with flowers by my gardener extraordinaire of a father. Flowers whose delicate petals became occasional casualties of the many soccer games I held there.  

The inside of Home belonged to my mother, a sometimes stay-at-home mum, a sometimes nurse, an always baker. Home was cozy couches, always covered in cat fur; spilled grape juice, staining favourite dresses. Home was “the swoop,” an extravagant jump my sister and I invented, where we’d careen off one of our loft beds into a sea of pillows, coming quite close to peeing ourselves with laughter.

Home shifted as we got older. Home fractured as half of our previously inextricable unit moved to the west coast. Home adapted to this new way of being, together but apart. Home strengthened when its value became even more acutely obvious.

Then again, four years later, Home offered itself yet again, in a new, more exciting, more terrifying way. Home became a new country, a new way of living, an inviting blend of sangria, foreign tongues, ancient architecture; but above all, Home became a new feeling – independence.

Two years later, homesickness hit. Casually at first, like an ignorable fly, but then, with more meaning, a buzzing manifestation of all that I missed: my language, my family, my trees, my ocean. By this time though, Home was complicated. Home had become a new person; home had become a new, ecstatic, previously unfelt feeling. But Home had also become confusing, disjointed. Parts of Home were here. But parts of Home were there.  

But you know what? The funniest thing happened. I got lucky. I got to bring this foreign Home, the Home I fell in love with, yet wanted to leave, home with me. Home took the form of a person, a person who somehow, and I still can’t fully comprehend how he did it, managed to encompass all that I loved about my adopted country, the bustling streets, the cantankerous bartenders, the always better tasting oranges, the unorthodox drivers, never not laying on the horn… And this new Home transformed me once more, extending its arms around me and pulling me close. Home illustrated again how truly enormous, yet somehow also infinitesimally small this planet really is.

Home became a person who gave theirs up, who traveled across oceans and prairies and mountains to preserve this newfound interpretation of the word. Home became a shared life, in a tiny, overpriced one-bedroom, blanketed with books, a kettle perpetually ready for more tea, an occasional meow, and a neverending lesson in Spanish.  

Home is family. This was taken during this past Christmas, our first Christmas altogether in 3 years. 🙂

Hyndman, Nikole. “5 Of the Most Inspiring Architectural Sites in Madrid.” IEUniversityDrivingInnovation, 29 Sept. 2018, drivinginnovation.ie.edu/5-of-the-most-inspiring-architectural-sites-in-madrid/.

“A Trip Guide to Old Strathcona, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.” To Do Canada, Todocanada, www.todocanada.ca/city/edmonton/listing/old-strathcona/.

4 Replies to “Assignment 2:2 – There’s a place I call Home, and it moves…”

1. Kirsten,
    what a beautiful , poetic account of your shifting sense of home. I could easily enter all the worlds you created with your words.

I found it particularly poetic the way you were able to endow your partner as more than just person . In your second to last paragraph you make a moving statement “I got lucky. I got to bring this foreign Home, the Home I fell in love with, yet wanted to leave, home with me”. This was a beautiful image but it also contains a very interesting contradiction in the term “foreign Home”.
    It made me stop and think for a second. Do we have home homes and foreign homes? Are they equal in strength and legitimacy? When you lived abroad, were you ever really truly at home… in the same way as your memories in Canada?
    But it also made me think about relationships and whether our partners always represent a kind of foreign home (even if they came from the same country). In the sense that they are somebody we get to know extremely intimately but , yet, they will always be a distinct (foreign, so to speak) human being to us. We might feel more comfortable with them than anyone else but they can never become us. Or can they? Is this the same with places we call home?

1. Hi Laen,

you bring up a lot of beautiful and thought-provoking questions, and I’m not sure I have answers to any of them! I definitely think my meaning and interpretation of home changed after I moved abroad, and then again after I was abroad and not enjoying myself as much (feeling homesick), and now that I’m back in Canada and have been comfortable in a new routine for a while, I find myself missing my “home” back in Spain on the daily. Home is a weird, shifting, murky concept.

2. Wow, Kristen.

I love how you let the readers imagine run wild with this work. Every sentence you pull us along. This is such a great way of poetically telling a story of home and I think it is beautiful.

MM